SR-762 Upper Compatibility - Ruger Forum

Ruger Forum

SR-762 Upper Compatibility

This is a discussion on SR-762 Upper Compatibility within the Ruger Semi-Auto forums, part of the Rifle & Shotgun Forum category; So one of my gun buddies is building a .308AR and I accompanied him to the gun shop to look at his options. Anyway, while ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Rifle & Shotgun Forum > Ruger Semi-Auto

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old September 14th, 2017, 05:36 PM   #1
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Commiefornia
Posts: 25
ch3ck5ix is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb SR-762 Upper Compatibility

So one of my gun buddies is building a .308AR and I accompanied him to the gun shop to look at his options. Anyway, while he was hemming and hawing about all the options, I was admiring all their .308 offerings. They had a few Ruger SR-762s, ubiquitous DPMS, LWRCs, etc., then I saw they had the new Stag 10 rifles, including complete and stripped uppers/lowers.

Just for kicks, I asked the clerk to mate the SR-762 lower to a Stag upper.... and it fits. Takedown pins line up nicely however the receiver profiles especially at the rear don't match up but there were no gaps. (Side note: looks like the Stag upper receiver "could" mate up nicely with an Armalite lower with the narrow flats on the side). With a complete Stag upper mated to the SR-762 lower (sorry no pix), from what I could tell it functioned correctly where I could charge the bolt back, engage the bolt hold open and released it, hammer felt like it was striking the firing pin correctly (dryfiring was discouraged...oops -- did it 3x, hehe). Machining on the Stag receiver looks nice and it's threaded for a DPMS barrel.

The clerk wouldn't let me take pictures with my cellphone but after slipping him a Hamilton he took some for me on their light table but only with a stripped upper (see below):



CMA (cover my a$$): I'm not stating for a fact that Stag uppers will work with SR-762 lowers but it does indeed fit -- that much I do know for a fact.




Last edited by BuckJM53; September 19th, 2018 at 07:30 AM.
ch3ck5ix is offline  
Advertisements
Old September 27th, 2017, 09:52 AM   #2
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Commiefornia
Posts: 25
ch3ck5ix is on a distinguished road
Judging by the overwhelming responses to my original post (you Ruger guys are a loquacious bunch) -- here's the follow up...

I was inspired (actually kinda jealous) by my buddy's new .308AR rifle build and decided to build a custom upper for my SR-762. After researching the interwebz and reading through the epic threads here on rugerforum, I found out that Matrix Aerospace makes the SR-762 uppers and lowers for Ruger. On Matrix's website they only sell matched upper/lower sets, so I called them and they will sell you a stripped upper by itself. But with my google-fu skilz , I found another source for a stripped upper that was more economical. Anyway, the upper arrived yesterday and here it is mated to my SR-762 lower:

Woohoo! Perfect fit and looks exactly like the upper that came with my SR-762. Now, excuse me, but I've got some shopping to do to finish out my build. I'm thinking of putting on a longer barrel for sure. Any suggestions for barrel, handguard, etc., is appreciated.

Side note: For you more astute readers, you're probably wondering what the @#$%& is wrong with my pistol grip ?! For your information (cough "CalDOJ" cough) that is NOT a pistol grip -- that's a Thordsen stock. Unfortunately for me, since I live in Commiefornia we have to put up with all kinds of gun restrictions (it's for the chilrren!). Anyway that's besides the point of this post and I only show part of it to not scare the faint of heart as to what gun laws we have to put up with -- that's a different story.

Last edited by BuckJM53; September 19th, 2018 at 07:31 AM.
ch3ck5ix is offline  
Old September 27th, 2017, 10:09 AM   #3
"The Real Deal"
 
Tacky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Back woods of North Carolina
Posts: 5,864
Tacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to all
Awesome, glad it worked out for you. Yes the large frame AR can be way more tricky than the ar15 as far as parts compatibility.

I have built many large frame ar's . So may I ask what you wanna do with it to determine the barrel suggestion? I use alot of dpms style barrels in many calibers, so I may be able to recommend a good one for your purposes.

All the dpms barrels I have used are highly accurate. The Columbia River Arms barrels also known as black hole weaponry are also highly accurate, and can be ordered custom, I have a few. The shilen barrels are also great and super accurate. I have built a criterion barreled 6.5 creedmoor, they are nice, and the Krieger is an awesome choice but costly.

Give me an little background, and I will give you a nonbiased recommendation.
Tacky is offline  
 
Old September 27th, 2017, 11:30 AM   #4
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Commiefornia
Posts: 25
ch3ck5ix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
Awesome, glad it worked out for you. Yes the large frame AR can be way more tricky than the ar15 as far as parts compatibility.

I have built many large frame ar's . So may I ask what you wanna do with it to determine the barrel suggestion? I use alot of dpms style barrels in many calibers, so I may be able to recommend a good one for your purposes.

All the dpms barrels I have used are highly accurate. The Columbia River Arms barrels also known as black hole weaponry are also highly accurate, and can be ordered custom, I have a few. The shilen barrels are also great and super accurate. I have built a criterion barreled 6.5 creedmoor, they are nice, and the Krieger is an awesome choice but costly.

Give me an little background, and I will give you a nonbiased recommendation.
Thanks for the reply, Tacky.

I'm not much for precision or match shooting -- I appreciate the effort, skill, investment and dedication that precision or match shooters do for the sport but that's not my cup of tea. This won't be for hunting, I have a Tikka T3 and Rem700 for that. I've shot my SR-762 out to about 500 yards and I think it was stretching the limits of the 16" barrel (although realistically, it's probably more my shooting skills, or lack thereof , that's limiting). For this build I'm thinking it's more of a plinker and if I can hit a steel target (minute of man) out to 800 yards I'd be happy with that. I'm also a cheap ba$tard and typically only shoot milsurp or bulk ammo (more bang for my buck ).

To be honest this whole build started out of frustration from the lack of options from Ruger for the SR-762. I think this is turning into an exercise of what I can do with this proprietary platform. The Matrix upper I got is threaded for DPMS pattern barrels -- I figured there would be more barrel options for this (note that they also have uppers for Armalite threaded barrels).
ch3ck5ix is offline  
Old September 27th, 2017, 09:32 PM   #5
"The Real Deal"
 
Tacky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Back woods of North Carolina
Posts: 5,864
Tacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to all
No problem, glad I could be of some help. Yes their are tons of barrels for the dpms, and alot of aftermarket parts as well. Thats why so many copied the dpms pattern on their 308 ar's.

I have a few dpms, fulton armory titans, and aero precision m5's I built from stripped upper and lowers for particular purposes. All are dpms lr308 pattern compatible.
So here is my recommendation based on your input. I would recommend a columbia river arms 20" hbar profile. It will give you a little more velocity, but not as heavy as a bull or semi bull profile. I built one recently with one of these barrels. It was designed as a hunter in mind, but able to reach out farther than a 16", all without being too heavy. Its a 1n10 twist threaded 5/824 and used a supercomp xl on it. The barrel is black shot peened as well. This one has held 1moa at 500 yards. I went with a midwest ss gen II rail 15" which covers the gasblock, but is light at maybe 12oz. Its allso free floated, and strong as steel.

I feel the columbia river arms barrel will suit your purposes well, not as expensive as the match barrels, but close in accuracy. I also recommend a sentry S7 click adjustable gas block which will allow you to turn down the gas pressure and tune the rifle to run more smooth. Here is a attached pic of the rifle with the parts I was talking about to give you an idea. Let me know if you have questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161117_184214.jpg (1.59 MB, 19 views)
Tacky is offline  
Old September 28th, 2017, 07:18 AM   #6
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 1,914
oldag has a spectacular aura aboutoldag has a spectacular aura aboutoldag has a spectacular aura about
Guess some of us are not real interested in replacing a perfectly good SR762 upper.
oldag is offline  
Old September 28th, 2017, 08:29 AM   #7
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Commiefornia
Posts: 25
ch3ck5ix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
No problem, glad I could be of some help. Yes their are tons of barrels for the dpms, and alot of aftermarket parts as well. Thats why so many copied the dpms pattern on their 308 ar's.

I have a few dpms, fulton armory titans, and aero precision m5's I built from stripped upper and lowers for particular purposes. All are dpms lr308 pattern compatible.
So here is my recommendation based on your input. I would recommend a columbia river arms 20" hbar profile. It will give you a little more velocity, but not as heavy as a bull or semi bull profile. I built one recently with one of these barrels. It was designed as a hunter in mind, but able to reach out farther than a 16", all without being too heavy. Its a 1n10 twist threaded 5/824 and used a supercomp xl on it. The barrel is black shot peened as well. This one has held 1moa at 500 yards. I went with a midwest ss gen II rail 15" which covers the gasblock, but is light at maybe 12oz. Its allso free floated, and strong as steel.

I feel the columbia river arms barrel will suit your purposes well, not as expensive as the match barrels, but close in accuracy. I also recommend a sentry S7 click adjustable gas block which will allow you to turn down the gas pressure and tune the rifle to run more smooth. Here is a attached pic of the rifle with the parts I was talking about to give you an idea. Let me know if you have questions.
Great info, Tacky -- thanks! Nice rifle, BTW. Let me do my research and, if you don't mind, I'll PM you if I have any questions.


Quote:
Originally Posted by oldag View Post
Guess some of us are not real interested in replacing a perfectly good SR762 upper.
No, I guess not -- but for me it's not really about replacing the upper (I love the piston upper) but having options or enhancing capabilities depending on the type of shooting. If Ruger offered a longer barreled upper for the SR-762 I'd be the first in line to get one.
ch3ck5ix is offline  
Old September 28th, 2017, 10:11 AM   #8
"The Real Deal"
 
Tacky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Back woods of North Carolina
Posts: 5,864
Tacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch3ck5ix View Post
Great info, Tacky -- thanks! Nice rifle, BTW. Let me do my research and, if you don't mind, I'll PM you if I have any questions.




No, I guess not -- but for me it's not really about replacing the upper (I love the piston upper) but having options or enhancing capabilities depending on the type of shooting. If Ruger offered a longer barreled upper for the SR-762 I'd be the first in line to get one.

No problem, pm me if you questions, I am very familiar with the ar15 and large frame ar's.
Tacky is offline  
Old September 28th, 2017, 10:21 AM   #9
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 1,725
drt4lfe will become famous soon enoughdrt4lfe will become famous soon enough
It's all in the barrel.....the rest can be so-so parts, just buy a good barrel....sometimes ugly shoots way better....
drt4lfe is offline  
Old October 18th, 2017, 11:03 AM   #10
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Commiefornia
Posts: 25
ch3ck5ix is on a distinguished road
Well here it is boys and girls!

My Matrix Aero upper build on my SR-762 lower (with Thordsen stock ). I had originally wanted to build the upper with a 20" barrel, but my buddy whom is also building a .308 AR gave me his 18" barrel (he didn't like how it looked and the weight) -- who am I to turn down free stuff! Man, I love friends with more money than sense !! Now I just need to find time to take it out to the range...

Many thanks to all with their input and encouragement but special thanks to Tacky for his guidance and recommendations!

Last edited by BuckJM53; September 19th, 2018 at 07:32 AM.
ch3ck5ix is offline  
Old October 18th, 2017, 07:56 PM   #11
"The Real Deal"
 
Tacky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Back woods of North Carolina
Posts: 5,864
Tacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch3ck5ix View Post
Well here it is boys and girls!

My Matrix Aero upper build on my SR-762 lower (with Thordsen stock ). I had originally wanted to build the upper with a 20" barrel, but my buddy whom is also building a .308 AR gave me his 18" barrel (he didn't like how it looked and the weight) -- who am I to turn down free stuff! Man, I love friends with more money than sense !! Now I just need to find time to take it out to the range...

Many thanks to all with their input and encouragement but special thanks to Tacky for his guidance and recommendations!
[IMG][/IMG]
Glad I could help a brother in arms, its a beauty. Now take it out and try it out. Make sure you post results. I always enjoy a happy ending. make sure you add the pic here also.

https://rugerforum.net/rifles/63070-a...re-thread.html

On another note I just got a barrel I had been waiting on for 7 months today, pics will be added to the ar picture thread soon as its compete.
Tacky is offline  
Old December 6th, 2019, 05:41 PM   #12
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 4
Troyheb is on a distinguished road
Wow. I am doing a similar build with a Matrix Aerospace upper on my SR762 and an internet search brought me here.
I dont know if the OP was still active here. I have a few questions about his build. If any one else has done a silmilar build please chime in.
Troyheb is offline  
Old December 6th, 2019, 07:45 PM   #13
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 20
L-Ray is on a distinguished road
It would be nice to know what upper parts were used. BCG, etc. I'd be interested in building a 6.5 CM to use on my SR762 lower.

Thanks
L-Ray is offline  
Old December 6th, 2019, 11:58 PM   #14
"The Real Deal"
 
Tacky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Back woods of North Carolina
Posts: 5,864
Tacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to allTacky is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyheb View Post
Wow. I am doing a similar build with a Matrix Aerospace upper on my SR762 and an internet search brought me here.
I dont know if the OP was still active here. I have a few questions about his build. If any one else has done a silmilar build please chime in.
Let b the questions fly, I will try and and answer if I can, I am no stranger to the large frame ar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Ray View Post
It would be nice to know what upper parts were used. BCG, etc. I'd be interested in building a 6.5 CM to use on my SR762 lower.

Thanks
Might look at the shilen, or columbia river arms 6.5 barrels, they are both great. I have a shilen 6.5 grendel, and 243 winchester barrel, both hold sub moa on ar platforms. I have a Columbia river arms 338 federal I ordered custom, on a large frame ar thats submoa with handloads as well.
Tacky is offline  
Old December 7th, 2019, 12:44 PM   #15
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Commiefornia
Posts: 25
ch3ck5ix is on a distinguished road
Holy necropost!

Hey all! I'm still kicking -- just haven't been actively posting and just occasionally checking to see what's going on. Had other life priorities since we lost our house and had extensive property damage during the northern California Carr wildfire last year. We were fortunate that everyone including our livestock were able to evacuate and we were able save the most valuable items (documents, heirlooms, photographs, videos, etc.). Can't say enough about being prepared -- having bug-out bags, provisions, etc. Anyway, we've been rebuilding and trying to get our lives back on track... now if PG&E (utility company) can just keep the damned electricity going and if we don't get washed out by the rains, we should be okay.

Back on topic: After finishing my Matrix upper build I believe I shot it 3 or 4 times (first time to function test and tune the adjustable gas block then zero; and the few other times just plinking). If I recall correctly I only got to shoot it out to 600y. Haven't shot it (or done much shooting) since April or May of last year before the fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyheb View Post
Wow. I am doing a similar build with a Matrix Aerospace upper on my SR762 and an internet search brought me here.
I dont know if the OP was still active here. I have a few questions about his build. If any one else has done a silmilar build please chime in.
I'd be more than happy to answer your questions regarding my Matrix upper build but most of what I know I learned from Tacky in this forum -- I can't thank him enough for his knowledge and willingness to help and advise this AR308 noob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Ray View Post
It would be nice to know what upper parts were used. BCG, etc. I'd be interested in building a 6.5 CM to use on my SR762 lower.

Thanks
Here ya go - my Matrix upper build specs:

Barrel (gifted by my buddy): 18" Ballistic Advantage 1:10 twist
BCG: Fail Zero Carrier and Bolt with NiB coating
Gas Block: SLR Rifleworks Sentry 7 Adjustable GB
Muzzle Device: VG6 Gamma 762 Compensator
Charging Handle: Strike Industries CH w/ extended latch
Handguard: Stag Arms 16.5" MLOK (got this at the LGS because I had a gift certificate and it was the lightest HG they had in stock [11oz] at that time)
BUIS: Magpul MBUS Pro offset front & rear
ch3ck5ix is offline  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Rifle & Shotgun Forum > Ruger Semi-Auto

None


Search tags for this page

6.5 creedmoor in ruger sr 762

,
forge ruger sr-762 style 80% lowers
,
put different upper on ruger sr762
,

ruger 7.62 upper

,

ruger sr 7.62 upper

,
ruger sr 7.62 upper receiver
,
ruger sr 762 6.5 creedmoor upper
,
ruger sr 762 lower receiver
,
ruger sr 762 parts compatibility
,

ruger sr 762 specs

,

ruger sr 762 upper compatibility

,
ruger sr 762 upper receiver
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ruger sr-762 upper length? wvanstonew Ruger Semi-Auto 3 December 10th, 2016 08:23 PM
PacLite Upper Sight Base Compatibility Mainsail Ruger Rimfires 0 January 15th, 2016 05:21 PM
Free BCG w/any Bravo Company Upper + Free BCM MOD 0 Compensator w/any 16" Upper- $439 wikiarms WikiArms.com 0 February 18th, 2015 06:53 AM
Free BCG w/any Bravo Company Upper + Free BCM MOD 0 Compensator w/any 16" Upper- $439 wikiarms WikiArms.com 0 February 9th, 2015 07:43 PM
SR-762 compatible upper? brlowe Ruger Semi-Auto 3 November 17th, 2014 01:47 PM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2020 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.