New 10/22! Birthday present from me to me! - Ruger Forum

Ruger Forum

New 10/22! Birthday present from me to me!

This is a discussion on New 10/22! Birthday present from me to me! within the Ruger 10/22 Rimfire forums, part of the Rifle & Shotgun Forum category; Hello all! I hope this is the wright spot for this question! I apologize if it's not! If not, please move it! I'm new to ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Rifle & Shotgun Forum > Ruger 10/22 Rimfire

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old October 13th, 2019, 07:08 AM   #1
 
Chockpish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: New-Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 21
Chockpish is on a distinguished road
New 10/22! Birthday present from me to me!

Hello all!

I hope this is the wright spot for this question! I apologize if it's not! If not, please move it! I'm new to the forum and I'm trying to get familiar with it!

Just getting back into shooting after thirty years! Two days ago I bought my first gun in twenty years! It's a 10/22, stainless steel barrel, black synthetic stock at Bass Pro! It was on sale and could not resist!

What I was trying to find out was what is the gun sighted in at out of the box? I know I will have to tweek the iron sights on it a bit! I think it is sighted at twenty five yards, from what I could figure out, but I'm not sure! At twenty five yards that would be perfect for what I will be using it for! Rabbits, grouse mostly! Squirrels around here are way to small to hunt! I would have to get 100 just to make a sandwich!

Any information I can get would be so greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Best, Mike!



Chockpish is offline  
Advertisements
Old October 13th, 2019, 07:45 AM   #2
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 4
BUGOUTGHOST is on a distinguished road
Congratulations! I just did the same thing. My son is old enough to start shooting now, so I bought him a Ruger 10/22 Takedown Lite and I am buying myself a Ruger Precision Rifle .22 WMR. The money spent on accessories is piling up. :-(
BUGOUTGHOST is offline  
Old October 13th, 2019, 10:33 AM   #3
 
Katahdin-1022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Center of Maine, US
Posts: 136
Katahdin-1022 is on a distinguished road
Chockpish, congrats! (And happy birthday.)

I can't answer your question about factory sighting, but I'll be reading here because the answer will soon apply to me -- more on that below.

I'll soon* purchase my first ever 10/22, and my first gun in over a year after I sold my three (for reasons involving an extended trip overseas to a place I could not own guns, but that didn't work out). (* My necessary eBay sale to fund a 10/22 is already successful and ends Monday evening.)

I'm pretty excited. Ok, that's an understatement. I'm like a kid a week before Christmas knowing what that long narrow box under the tree is, but can't get to it.

After a couple of months of research -- reading (including lots of posts here), watching videos (some of which were painful to watch), talking with dealers, Ruger and some aftermarket vendors -- I've settled on a new Compact: black synth modular stock with a nice pistol grip and sling swivel studs (very important to me) and fiber optic sights. I'm wondering if they set the latter differently than irons. (Honestly, I don't have a clue about how much effort is spent on sighting at the factory.)

I'm also going to purchase a shotgun scabbard for it, mainly because I live in an apartment complex, and I suspect my neighbors wouldn't appreciate me walking down the hall with the rifle, even if slung over my shoulder on a sling, and I don't want/need a case for it right now. A shotgun scabbard will fit the length well (adjustable from 29" to 34") and is narrow, good since I won't scope it, at least up front.

Also, how interesting that you're in New Brunswick. Where 'bouts are you? North, south, middle? Near Fundy or the Atlantic? I'm guessing you must have red squirrels instead of grays; grays are larger and very edible (not to mention delicious; I learned that as a kid in TN). But the grouse interest me, and rabbits.

I'm asking because I live in central Maine US now -- north and west of Bangor, and only a few hours from your border. I have a lot of interest in NB and Nova Scotia, and plan to spend a lot of time there starting next year. I've been trying to plan an extended visit to Nova Scotia early next year using mass transit, and there are two routes for me: Bar Harbor to Yarmouth via the CAT ferry (which still isn't running this year; not til next); or get to St John and take a different ferry to Digby. Problem with the latter: ya' can't get theyah from heyah by mass transit -- no buses from here to St John, and to get a train I'd have to go to Toronto first. So I'm going to have to be creative -- perhaps a ride share program.

OK, enjoy your new rifle, and getting back to shooting again. I'm eager to do some of the latter. With my .30-30, in the town where I was living then, I had to go to a range some miles away because I had no easy access to big, publicly accessible land. Now, in a different town, I can walk across the highway into hundred (thousands?) of acres of publicly accessible (on foot) land -- upland forests and swamps -- and shoot at home made targets. Lot's of gray squirrel there, too. Haven't seen grouse, but I think they're pretty elusive.

Last edited by Katahdin-1022; October 16th, 2019 at 10:55 PM.
Katahdin-1022 is offline  
 
Old October 13th, 2019, 03:39 PM   #4
 
Chockpish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: New-Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 21
Chockpish is on a distinguished road
I'm on the east coast of New-Brunswick! I live about two minute drive from the Northumberland Strait! New-Brunswick is the same terrain as Maine! Except you border on the Fundy side of New-Brunswick, I'm on the coast! I'm about 2 ish hours drive from St-John, about the same from Nova-Scotia border! Why don't you come in St-Stephen and Calais main or Milton! Follow the Trans Canada Highway all the way to Nova-Scotia! Don't have to go by St-John at all! Go through Fundy park and then on to Moncton from there go to Nova-Scotia! Follow the coast! A lot prettier than going inland! I live in a small village called Ste-Anne de kent! It's a small fishing community! A Lot of hardwood and softwood forest, Rabbits, or Hares, as what they really are, are plentiful! Ruffed Grouse and Spruce Grouse are plentiful! Ruffed Grouse love a hardwood forest better, there a little bigger than a Pigeon, they'll go about a pound, pound and a half!! Spruce Grouse is self explanatory! There a little smaller than a chicken, they'll go about pound and half maybe two pounds! They make a hardy stew! Tasty on a cold winters day! So does a rabbit meat pie, for the holidays, not much else can beat it! I have a coworker and a friend who does a lot of Canada goose and duck hunting! He make the best jerky I've ever tasted! We also enjoy a fanomal Striped Bass fishery, Mackerel, in the winter we have a really fun time fishing smelt during hard water season! Broke Trout, Atlantic Salmon! Spring Black Bear season and fall Black Bear season, Moose, white tail in the fall! Pretty much all the same species as main! Not a bad place to live overall!
Chockpish is offline  
Old October 13th, 2019, 03:47 PM   #5
 
Chockpish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: New-Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 21
Chockpish is on a distinguished road
Our seasons are the same! Mud, heat on in the morning, A/C on in the afternoon, Mosquitoes, tourist, heat wave, road construction,then hunting time, then snow, cold days and dark at 4:30 p.m.! I'm the odd one who loves winter! -20 in a snowstorm are my favorite time of year!
Chockpish is offline  
Old October 13th, 2019, 03:59 PM   #6
 
Chockpish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: New-Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 21
Chockpish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chockpish View Post
Our seasons are the same! Mud, heat on in the morning, A/C on in the afternoon, Mosquitoes, tourist, heat wave, road construction,then hunting time, then snow, cold days and dark at 4:30 p.m.! I'm the odd one who loves winter! -20 in a snowstorm are my favorite time of year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chockpish View Post
I'm on the east coast of New-Brunswick! I live about two minute drive from the Northumberland Strait! New-Brunswick is the same terrain as Maine! Except you border on the Fundy side of New-Brunswick, I'm on the coast! I'm about 2 ish hours drive from St-John, about the same from Nova-Scotia border! Why don't you come in St-Stephen and Calais main or Milton! Follow the Trans Canada Highway all the way to Nova-Scotia! Don't have to go by St-John at all! Go through Fundy park and then on to Moncton from there go to Nova-Scotia! Follow the coast! A lot prettier than going inland! I live in a small village called Ste-Anne de kent! It's a small fishing community! A Lot of hardwood and softwood forest, Rabbits, or Hares, as what they really are, are plentiful! Ruffed Grouse and Spruce Grouse are plentiful! Ruffed Grouse love a hardwood forest better, there a little bigger than a Pigeon, they'll go about a pound, pound and a half!! Spruce Grouse is self explanatory! There a little smaller than a chicken, they'll go about pound and half maybe two pounds! They make a hardy stew! Tasty on a cold winters day! So does a rabbit meat pie, for the holidays, not much else can beat it! I have a coworker and a friend who does a lot of Canada goose and duck hunting! He make the best jerky I've ever tasted! We also enjoy a fanomal Striped Bass fishery, Mackerel, in the winter we have a really fun time fishing smelt during hard water season! Broke Trout, Atlantic Salmon! Spring Black Bear season and fall Black Bear season, Moose, white tail in the fall! Pretty much all the same species as main! Not a bad place to live overall!
Yes we have Red squirrels, and chipmunks! I've seen the odd Grey squirrel, apparently they stowed away on moving vans, from people relocating from Toronto and bigger cities! But my guess is, they just expanded there territories! Only see them in town! You'll see six or seven running around, then they get flattened by cars! Then a new crop of babies grow up and start the cycle again!
Chockpish is offline  
Old October 13th, 2019, 04:00 PM   #7
 
ngashooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Dawsonville Georgia
Posts: 3,627
ngashooter is a jewel in the roughngashooter is a jewel in the roughngashooter is a jewel in the rough
I would expect the rifle to be factory sighted with 40gr HV ammo at 25yds. There are so many varieties of .22lr that you may have to adjust slightly for your favorite load. I figure it will be close at 25yds whatever you try. Enjoy your new 10/22!
ngashooter is offline  
Old October 13th, 2019, 04:19 PM   #8
 
Katahdin-1022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Center of Maine, US
Posts: 136
Katahdin-1022 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chockpish View Post
Our seasons are the same! Mud, heat on in the morning, A/C on in the afternoon, Mosquitoes, tourist, heat wave, road construction,then hunting time, then snow, cold days and dark at 4:30 p.m.! I'm the odd one who loves winter! -20 in a snowstorm are my favorite time of year!


Thanks for your posts re NB! Very interesting, especially the forest/game rundown. So far, I've studied Nova Scotia more -- I'll probably locate there (personal and professional reasons) -- but want to visit NB because I suspect, as you report, your ecosystems are more similar to Maine's.

Point taken about your route through NB to NS being beautiful, but -- I guess I wasn't clear -- I'm taking mass transit (ferries, etc) because I own no motorized vehicle. Didn't plan it that way (got thrown under a couple of buses during a business deal), but that's where I'm at.

Maybe we'll start a thread someday about life in the Maritimes -- including guns and hunting -- in some other sub-forum on this forum. I know there are places here for those conversations.
Katahdin-1022 is offline  
Old October 13th, 2019, 07:02 PM   #9
 
Chockpish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: New-Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 21
Chockpish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngashooter View Post
I would expect the rifle to be factory sighted with 40gr HV ammo at 25yds. There are so many varieties of .22lr that you may have to adjust slightly for your favorite load. I figure it will be close at 25yds whatever you try. Enjoy your new 10/22!
Thank you! I have some CCI mini mags! Gonna try them first and see from there!
Chockpish is offline  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Rifle & Shotgun Forum > Ruger 10/22 Rimfire

None

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Top Gun Sites Top Sites List
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2020 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.