"Long Range Load For the .30 Carbine Blackhawk”
Awhile back I started a project to see if I could replicate Paco Kelly’s "Long Range Load For the .30 Carbine Blackhawk”. I ordered some 155 gr. FN, GC, Linotype bullets from Montana Bullet Works. Using Hodgdon’s H110 and Starline brass, I worked up a load of 11.5 gr. of powder. Using my brand spanking new LabRadar chronograph, I measure muzzle speeds of 1330-1360 FPS.
The brass extracted without any problems and I saw no flattening of the primers to indicate excessive pressures. I was aiming for something in the range 1300 ± 50 FPS to stabilize the bullet in flight considering the Blackhawk’s 1:20 twist rate.