Ruger Forum banner

New Mini 14 Ammo

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  RJF 
#1 ·
Hey Ruger Nuts, just ordered my BN Mini 14 Ranch Rifle from Bud's, getting ready for the Corona & Lyme Apocolypse. I never had/shot one in the 50yrs I'm alive, always been a bolt action guy. Gave up on AR's years ago, NEVER liked them. What can I expect from this new rifle? Any quirks? What FACTORY ammo shoots best in these new mfg, Mini 14's? Can I shoot both 223 sporter & 5.56 ammo in it? Any info would be greatly appreciated, THANKS!

#2 ·
Yes, you can shoot both 5.56 and .223. I can't help you with a factory ammo recommendation, as I haven't shot factory ammo in 30 years, but mine will do inch and a half to 2 inch groups at 100 yards. The older ones where 4 and 5 inch minute of pie plate guns. (I have owned 5 or 6 of them).

#6 ·
I've had a new Mini 14 since mid 2016. Even though it's never had a factory round through it, as I handload for virtually all of my centerfire cartridges, I've found that the 1:9 twist barrel seems to really like the 55-62 gr bullets. At 100 yds, I can't tell the difference between flat base or boattail bullets.

For factory loads, I find that the more expensive loads are more consistent. In my M1 Garand rifle, I started out with Federal 150 gr FMJ rounds from WalMart, just to get shooting until my .30-06 loading stuff came in. When I was able to shoot my handloads side-by-side with the factory loads, there was a distinct difference, with the inexpensive factory loads noticeably less accurate.

My point is: don't expect too much from cheap ammo, and don't judge a rifle's accuracy based on cheap ammo, or only one brand/version of ammo.

#7 ·
I'm an old M14 guy from my basic training days so my 583 series Mini has been transformed into a 'Mini M14'; a 'little brother' to my M1A. It shoots only decent ammo (never seen junk, steel, commie ammo, never will) and like every weapon on earth, it shoots quality, consistent ammo the best. It's an honest sub 1¼ MOA shooter with good ammo.

I handload for mine and I shoot bowling pins at 200yds with it all day long. . . . . Irons sights and I'm 72. :eek: :D

Get it, get quality ammo for it, and practice with it so you can shoot a wood and steel carbine well. It's reliable to a fault, fun to shoot, and just a great carbine. And look on PerfectUnion.com's Mini forum for some easy, cheap tweaks that will make it an even better carbine. Enjoy.

#8 ·
OK, 45! First of all, welcome to the forum!

1) check the gap between the upper/lower gas block sections: it should be even/equal fore and aft and left and right. My two New-In-Box Mini 583s were visibly off. Unequal gaps will result in inaccuracies. A 9/64 Allen wrench is the size for the four gas-block screws. If you have one, an INCH-pound torque driver works well: about 28-30 INCH-pounds...

2) thoroughly clean your treasure before first firing! Ruger ships with some great preservative gunk, but it hardens with the first firing/heat and then gets to be a PITA to clean off. Pressurized carb cleaner or brake cleaner works well, along with some compressed air. WEAR EYE PROTECTION!, and do it out-doors. Then you should be good. Good to use it on all the metal parts, then follow up with REMOIL or a similar gun oil.

3) consider doing the same with the mags.

4) genuine Ruger mags are best for reliability.

5) Blue-loctite is your friend, for both gas-block screws as well as rear sight (on P-rail). My most recent 583-series came with a tube of it; my earlier didn't.

6) I personally prefer either PPU NATO or PMC .223 Bronze. Both shoot equally well.

7) it is NOT a target rifle!!! But it a very sweet carbine that, with enough tinkering, could come close; possibly more accurate than you (or me!). Adding more crap in terms of stocks and "accessories" just adds to the nimble weight of a synthetic-stock Mini and makes it "luggable" but not "portable". I went through that with my first laptop computer - which was great as long as you didn't mind loss of circulation of your legs...

8) there are gobs of "tweaks" you can do to it. Contain your enthusiasm, but never eliminate it. For me, a 300-yard shot is reserved for a bolt gun. Less then that, I'll consider depending on target and distance. Humane is paramount for four-legged critters with rabies! Otherwise: four-legged=good; 2-legged= bad.
If your receiver is "loose" in a synthetic stock, a "credit-card-shim" is an easy fix. They're pretty tight in a factory wood stock...

Plenty more "knowledge" here!!!

#15 ·
You guys are the best in this forum! I just ordered a Mini 14 on 20 March, but it could be a while before I receive it (where I live, AR's are, shall we say, complicated :mad:) - I'll be following these recommendations!

#9 ·
I know I am late to this game. But, an easy answer to your ammo issue would be Winchester white box. Either their .223 or 5.56 ammo. It's not the most accurate ammo but it's very similar to M-193 milspec with a 55 grain bullet. American Eagle makes a similar ammo as does PMC. This will get you started.

But, it's more like what WON'T the Mini 14 shoot. The answer is anything over 69 grain bullets. The 1/9 twist is good up to 69 grain bullets and anything over that means you are going backward with accuracy. So 50 to 69 grains. Like others have said, stay away from the steel cased stuff. When you are breaking your new Mini in, clean and lube it first. Makes sure the barrel is cleaned and I like to take a bore snake with me to pull through the barrel while you are breaking it in.

kwg

#10 ·
You guys are the BEST, thanks Brothers! I'm still waiting for delivery, bought a quick 100rds of Norma 223 Tactical/55gr fmj ammo. Will definitely give a thorough cleaning before firing. I don't plan on any mods, as I've always been kind of a Factory guy. I don't plan on scoping it either, which is rare for me, as my 50yr old eyes like fiber optics & scopes. I'm hoping I can focus the Peep sights well. Again, many thanks!

#13 ·
Get a TechSight Mini200 Rear Sight and the target (.042") aperture. With a small aperture close to your eye you get the benefit of Depth of Field (Google it) so that you can see the front sight and the target (no matter how close or far) clearly.

Again, I'm 72, am farsighted with astigmatisms, and wear progressive lenses and with it I can see the front sight and target clearly. The secret is to get your eye very close to the aperture.

#12 ·
45, I personally felt the stock Ruger rear sight sucked extraordinarily. After my first look through it (without firing a shot), I was on-line ordering a Tech Sights rear. Never looked back and another will soon be on order for my newest 583.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.