Fox Squirrel at 80yds w/ Handgun! - Page 2 - Ruger Forum

Ruger Forum

Fox Squirrel at 80yds w/ Handgun!

This is a discussion on Fox Squirrel at 80yds w/ Handgun! within the Hunting forums, part of the Firearm Forum category; Originally Posted by Lc45 Never seen squirrels like that in this state never seen a Fox Squirrel that had a black head either, interesting.Nice shot ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Firearm Forum > Hunting

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old February 11th, 2020, 05:28 PM   #16
 
ngashooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Dawsonville Georgia
Posts: 3,906
ngashooter is a jewel in the roughngashooter is a jewel in the roughngashooter is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lc45 View Post
Never seen squirrels like that in this state never seen a Fox Squirrel that had a black head either, interesting.Nice shot btw
There are a couple of white squirrels in Hollywood Ga they are the size of grey squirrels



On a off topic ..do you see skunks where you hunt deer? Plenty around here and your neck of the woods.
but my cousin grew up in Macon and now lives to the north in Juliette says itís a rarity to see one and since he mentioned that years ago I have been looking when I travel in that area and it is rare to see sign.
Seems odd since they range all over North America
All the Fox squirrels on my land have the black heads. Some all black, others appear to have raccoon masks. Body color varies from blonde to chocolate brown, but most are like mine. We do have skunks, but I only see them occasionally.



ngashooter is offline  
Advertisements
Old February 11th, 2020, 05:31 PM   #17
 
ngashooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Dawsonville Georgia
Posts: 3,906
ngashooter is a jewel in the roughngashooter is a jewel in the roughngashooter is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
Which scope is that on the Charger?
A Simmons 2-6x32mm variable pistol scope.
ngashooter is offline  
Old February 11th, 2020, 05:59 PM   #18
 
ngashooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Dawsonville Georgia
Posts: 3,906
ngashooter is a jewel in the roughngashooter is a jewel in the roughngashooter is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHenley View Post
Damn good shot! My longest shot on a squirrel was about 70 yards with a rifle. No bench or rest though, just leaning against a tree to steady the gun. Most 22s can't reliably make a 40 yard shot, much less an 80 yard shot.

Where I often hunt in the Mississippi Delta, fox squirrels have a melanistic phase, and you can have a litter with both red and black squirrels. The red ones don't have the white markings fox squirrels elsewhere have, and the black ones are solid black from nose to tail. A number of years ago the black ones weren't seen very often, but now it seems most of them are black.
A squirrel at 70yds without a bipod or steady rest is outstanding! I have a 10/22 that is capable of half inch groups at 50yds from a bench. I can't shoot anywhere near that from any improvised field position.
ngashooter is offline  
 
Old February 11th, 2020, 09:21 PM   #19
 
DrHenley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 91
DrHenley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngashooter View Post
A squirrel at 70yds without a bipod or steady rest is outstanding! I have a 10/22 that is capable of half inch groups at 50yds from a bench. I can't shoot anywhere near that from any improvised field position.
I used to always practice shooting in a hunting type position at the range. I was a lot better shot back then I probably need to start doing that again.
DrHenley is offline  
Old February 11th, 2020, 11:47 PM   #20
 
ngashooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Dawsonville Georgia
Posts: 3,906
ngashooter is a jewel in the roughngashooter is a jewel in the roughngashooter is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHenley View Post
I used to always practice shooting in a hunting type position at the range. I was a lot better shot back then I probably need to start doing that again.
It's great practice. I have some rifles I never shoot from a bench. Offhand practice with a 10/22 or one of my milsurp rifles is great fun. Plus the combination of .30-06, .303, 7.62x54R, or 7.92x57 and a steel butt plate is kind of brutal at the bench.
ngashooter is offline  
Old February 13th, 2020, 03:58 PM   #21
 
TomP5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 563
TomP5 is on a distinguished road
Wow!

Hey ngashooter, congratulations on an amazingly long shot. I've shot a rabbit with my Savage Mk II at 85 paces, one shot through the heart. But a scoped handgun?! Man, I'm impressed.

But also, what a squirrel! Two things about it are quite different than the fox squirrels we have: he's bigger than any we have shot (or is that a little truck? ), but also his cool dark head and grey ears. Man, I like the look of him.

Here in Colorado Springs on the west side of town we will see melanistic fox squirrels. We also have black Abert's along the foothills/front range. So I've never been quite sure what I was seeing. It's good to know they can have a melanistic tendency. The Aberts around here are mostly black, but you do see a few gray ones.

Yeah, I hunt with my Ruger Single Six, iron sights. I've bagged cottontails, our little Rocky Mountain pine squirrels (we call them "pineys" but they should be "spruce squirrels" as they strongly favor spruce and fir trees and cones), and two dusky grouse. But all of my shots have been 10 yards or less. Man!!!

Thanks for sharing that and the photos.
TomP5 is offline  
Old February 13th, 2020, 03:58 PM   #22
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 109
KimberproSS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngashooter View Post
I took a really nice fox squirrel Saturday with a single .22lr 38gr hollow point. I have wanted to have one mounted by the taxidermist for years. My hunting property has a large population of both gray and fox squirrels. Most of the foxes have black heads. Full disclosure requires I admit that I was target shooting when the squirrel came out. I was already toppling coke bottles at 100yds with my Charger and it's 6x scope. The giant Fox ran out 20yds in front of my 100yd targets and stood up like a prairie dog to look at me. Having the Charger on a bipod and rear bag made the shot possible. The mount will look great at the hunting camp!
I've never seen such a critter, black head!
KimberproSS is offline  
Old February 13th, 2020, 04:34 PM   #23
 
19and41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 9
19and41 is on a distinguished road
That's the first one of those that I've seen. Great shot. I do remember the black squirrels in southern Michigan that were introduced in Battle Creek.
19and41 is offline  
Old February 13th, 2020, 04:57 PM   #24
 
Argee1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,519
Argee1950 is a jewel in the roughArgee1950 is a jewel in the roughArgee1950 is a jewel in the roughArgee1950 is a jewel in the rough
Nice shot! Great story behind it.
Argee1950 is offline  
Old February 13th, 2020, 04:58 PM   #25
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 30
Redhawk45 is on a distinguished road
Squirrel Hunting

Handgun hunting for squirrel is just the skill to hone for deer hunting, and the dogs like to help unlike deer hunting when they stay at the house. Iron sights adds a whole other level of difficulty!
Redhawk45 is offline  
Old February 13th, 2020, 05:05 PM   #26
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: WI /ND/ IL
Posts: 1
NDAR15MAN is on a distinguished road
Man nice shot. I am wanting to buy a Ruger 22LR Charger for my next gun.
I want to buy one with the new collapsible stock. Pricey right now ! Would you go with a pistol scope or rifle scope ? I am leaning towards rifle scope with a red dot on top or mounted on a 45 degree angle. Use it as both as a pistol or a rifle. What’ say you ? Good idea for me ? Thanks. MD
NDAR15MAN is offline  
Old February 13th, 2020, 05:51 PM   #27
 
ngashooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Dawsonville Georgia
Posts: 3,906
ngashooter is a jewel in the roughngashooter is a jewel in the roughngashooter is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP5 View Post
Hey ngashooter, congratulations on an amazingly long shot. I've shot a rabbit with my Savage Mk II at 85 paces, one shot through the heart. But a scoped handgun?! Man, I'm impressed.

But also, what a squirrel! Two things about it are quite different than the fox squirrels we have: he's bigger than any we have shot (or is that a little truck? ), but also his cool dark head and grey ears. Man, I like the look of him.

Here in Colorado Springs on the west side of town we will see melanistic fox squirrels. We also have black Abert's along the foothills/front range. So I've never been quite sure what I was seeing. It's good to know they can have a melanistic tendency. The Aberts around here are mostly black, but you do see a few gray ones.

Yeah, I hunt with my Ruger Single Six, iron sights. I've bagged cottontails, our little Rocky Mountain pine squirrels (we call them "pineys" but they should be "spruce squirrels" as they strongly favor spruce and fir trees and cones), and two dusky grouse. But all of my shots have been 10 yards or less. Man!!!

Thanks for sharing that and the photos.
Thanks for the compliments, but the shot was a combination of a very unlucky squirrel and being all set up and zeroed in when it came out. My truck is a Chevy 1500, the squirrel was that big!
ngashooter is offline  
Old February 13th, 2020, 06:08 PM   #28
 
ngashooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Dawsonville Georgia
Posts: 3,906
ngashooter is a jewel in the roughngashooter is a jewel in the roughngashooter is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAR15MAN View Post
Man nice shot. I am wanting to buy a Ruger 22LR Charger for my next gun.
I want to buy one with the new collapsible stock. Pricey right now ! Would you go with a pistol scope or rifle scope ? I am leaning towards rifle scope with a red dot on top or mounted on a 45 degree angle. Use it as both as a pistol or a rifle. What’ say you ? Good idea for me ? Thanks. MD
I don't know about any collapsible stock, that would make it an SBR instead of a handgun. I know there are new models that will accept a folding brace without having to purchase a separate adapter. Decide what you want to do with it to determine what optic you need. I had a rifle scope on my Charger initially, but could not get comfortable and steady with the short eye relief since I didn't have a brace. A red dot will be usable both ways, but be sure to get something with a 2moa dot so that the aiming point doesn't completely obscure the small targets typically shot with a .22lr handgun. For my use the variable pistol scope provided the best answer.

Last edited by ngashooter; February 13th, 2020 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Clarity
ngashooter is offline  
Old February 14th, 2020, 01:20 PM   #29
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 51
Pepperjd is on a distinguished road
The fox squirrels I used to see in FL had a black mask like a raccoon. Rabbits and fox squirrels I could take out to 100 yards with a good brace for my 77/22. But it was a real tack driver. Normally at the 50 yd range I could keep 10 shots under a nickel. That's a great shot with a charger.
Pepperjd is offline  
Old February 14th, 2020, 01:56 PM   #30
 
safetyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 11
safetyman is on a distinguished road
We have mostly the reds here in Iowa. They are a hoot to hunt!
safetyman is offline  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Firearm Forum > Hunting

None

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Top Gun Sites Top Sites List
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2020 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.