Any gun shows in New Jersey? - Page 2 - Ruger Forum

Ruger Forum

Any gun shows in New Jersey?

This is a discussion on Any gun shows in New Jersey? within the Gun Events forums, part of the Firearm Forum category; Originally Posted by Nam Vet Does anyone know of any gun shows if any are held in the gun friendly..HA HA State of NJ. Am ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Firearm Forum > Gun Events

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old January 24th, 2015, 09:01 AM   #16
 
Planeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 3,891
Planeguy is a glorious beacon of lightPlaneguy is a glorious beacon of lightPlaneguy is a glorious beacon of lightPlaneguy is a glorious beacon of lightPlaneguy is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nam Vet View Post
Does anyone know of any gun shows if any are held in the gun friendly..HA HA State of NJ.
Am I detecting just a little hint of hysteria in your ha ha's?



Planeguy is offline  
Advertisements
Old January 24th, 2015, 09:11 AM   #17
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA
Posts: 963
fixitfred will become famous soon enough
Don't Take It The Wrong Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
Unfortunately, I'm stuck here until retirement since my wife's work is tied to the Stock Market and my kids are settled into their schools at this point. I'll likely be here another 20 years before heading south. Most of my wife's family has settled in North and South Caroline so that's likely where we'll end up.

My point was simply that advocating all gun owners leave the state won't help our cause in the least. I'm hoping they pass a federal reciprocity law at some point and NJ is forced to issue CCW permits. In the mean time I'll get my Florida, Utah, and Connecticut permits.

Good luck, and enjoy your retirement.
You start by saying you're stuck. Then you say leaving is not the solution.

What I read is:
Due to financial and family obligations you would find it difficult to leave right now. Because you feel trapped you want others to join the fight to help you and not run. You also want the Federal government to increase their reach into state affairs to benefit you in a specific circumstance.

Okay if you're not angry yet this part may upset you. I already got one guy from Jersey mad at me I'm not trying for another. It's not my intention but when I express my opinion sometimes people get upset with me. So here we go.

I think family and financial reasons should be at the top of the list to decide where you live on that we can agree. Actions speak louder than words. Firearm companies leave states that are not gun friendly. People and corporations leave states that tax too much. If EVERYONE left states that didn't treat it's citizenry right that would send a message loud and clear. I am not going to try and tell you what you should do or even guess what that might be.

I want to decide what's best for me but would prefer the state that I live in have more control over what I can and cannot do rather than the Federal Government.

We all heard the saying where there's a will there's a way. People move and get new jobs all time I know I did. Kids get relocated all the time and live to tell about it. I know people that just up and leave their "home" where they were born and raised as I did. I know people that leave to live near relatives that previously fled to greener pastures of course we all know the grass seems greener on the other side of the (fence, city, state line, country, world). Sometimes it really is and we wonder why we didn't do things sooner.

Last edited by fixitfred; January 24th, 2015 at 09:13 AM. Reason: wondering where these typos come from
fixitfred is offline  
Old January 24th, 2015, 10:48 AM   #18
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 951
Budasac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitfred View Post
You start by saying you're stuck. Then you say leaving is not the solution.

What I read is:
Due to financial and family obligations you would find it difficult to leave right now. Because you feel trapped you want others to join the fight to help you and not run. You also want the Federal government to increase their reach into state affairs to benefit you in a specific circumstance.

Okay if you're not angry yet this part may upset you. I already got one guy from Jersey mad at me I'm not trying for another. It's not my intention but when I express my opinion sometimes people get upset with me. So here we go.

I think family and financial reasons should be at the top of the list to decide where you live on that we can agree. Actions speak louder than words. Firearm companies leave states that are not gun friendly. People and corporations leave states that tax too much. If EVERYONE left states that didn't treat it's citizenry right that would send a message loud and clear. I am not going to try and tell you what you should do or even guess what that might be.

I want to decide what's best for me but would prefer the state that I live in have more control over what I can and cannot do rather than the Federal Government.

We all heard the saying where there's a will there's a way. People move and get new jobs all time I know I did. Kids get relocated all the time and live to tell about it. I know people that just up and leave their "home" where they were born and raised as I did. I know people that leave to live near relatives that previously fled to greener pastures of course we all know the grass seems greener on the other side of the (fence, city, state line, country, world). Sometimes it really is and we wonder why we didn't do things sooner.
We're a bit off topic here but-

First off, I'm not mad at ya! Lol And perhaps "stuck" was the wrong choice of words.

It's not that I want people to stay and fight with me, it just irks me a bit that whenever people from NJ, CA, NY or other non gun friendly states post, there are inevitably numerous respondents who suggest we leave. How does that help us as gun owners (by "gun owners" I mean the community, not the individual.) Also, as you stated, people have other obligations that trump their love of guns.

If I had an opportunity to make more money in another state it would be seriously considered but, to be honest, NJ isn't such a bad place. There are alot of positives to living here which I won't bother listing because that's not he point. There are also alot of negatives, as have been mentioned (gun laws, taxes, corruption, etc.)

My point is that you say if "everyone left" it would send a message, and I agree but, that's not what's being advocated here at all (nor would it ever happen). What's being suggested is that all "gun owners" leave. Well, I don't know if you noticed but, gun owners are in the minority here. The general population would likely be happy if we all left and took our guns with us. And therein lies the problem. NJ is one of the richest states in the Union, it's not going to crumble and disappear if some of us leave.

To look at it from another perspective. If you live in an area that sees a large influx of Muslims who are pressing the local/state government to pass laws that are more in line with their ideals and beliefs would you suggest that everyone currently living there who is not Muslim leave? Effectively creating a Muslim enclave? I mean, if you all leave it will send a message right? Or will it just solidify and empower the Muslim majority that's left? And if it did, will that somehow preserve your ideals or will it further threaten them.

I just think the knee jerk response of "just leave" is immature, and somewhat ignorant, as it doesn't consider the individual's circumstances, nor does it take into account the bigger picture.

Last edited by Budasac; January 24th, 2015 at 11:01 AM.
Budasac is offline  
 
Old January 24th, 2015, 11:19 AM   #19
 
paulnlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Flemington, NJ
Posts: 1,577
paulnlee is a glorious beacon of lightpaulnlee is a glorious beacon of lightpaulnlee is a glorious beacon of lightpaulnlee is a glorious beacon of lightpaulnlee is a glorious beacon of light
In this state it's all about the county you live in. Out here in Hunterdon,Warren,Morris or even parts of Somerset you would never know this is NJ. It's probably the same in some of the deep southern counties as well.
paulnlee is offline  
Old January 24th, 2015, 11:37 AM   #20
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 951
Budasac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulnlee View Post
In this state it's all about the county you live in. Out here in Hunterdon,Warren,Morris or even parts of Somerset you would never know this is NJ. It's probably the same in some of the deep southern counties as well.
Nah, everyone thinks all of NJ is Newark airport and smoke stacks.

If someone dropped you in the Pine Barrens you wouldn't even know you were in the northeast. The 100+ miles of beach doesn't hurt either.

Paulnlee, I grew up 20 minutes from you. I work out in Hunterdon County all the time.
Budasac is offline  
Old January 24th, 2015, 11:46 AM   #21
 
Planeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 3,891
Planeguy is a glorious beacon of lightPlaneguy is a glorious beacon of lightPlaneguy is a glorious beacon of lightPlaneguy is a glorious beacon of lightPlaneguy is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
Nah, everyone thinks all of NJ is Newark airport and smoke stacks.

If someone dropped you in the Pine Barrens you wouldn't even know you were in the northeast. The 100+ miles of beach doesn't hurt either.

Paulnlee, I grew up 20 minutes from you. I work out in Hunterdon County all the time.
You forgot Snookie! How could you forget Snookie?
Planeguy is offline  
Old January 24th, 2015, 11:51 AM   #22
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 951
Budasac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeguy View Post
You forgot Snookie! How could you forget Snookie?
I was waiting for that. She's not from NJ though. None of those idiots from that stupid show are from NJ. Pretty sure they are almost all from NY(Not knocking NY, just sayin.)

Last edited by Budasac; January 24th, 2015 at 11:53 AM.
Budasac is offline  
Old January 24th, 2015, 11:59 AM   #23
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA
Posts: 963
fixitfred will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
We're a bit off topic here but-
Yes but it is a discussion spawned from a gun related topic.

Quote:
First off, I'm not mad at ya! Lol
I'm not mad at you either but I sense some hostility or frustration.

Quote:
... it just irks me a bit that whenever people from NJ, CA, NY or other non gun friendly states post, there are inevitably numerous respondents who suggest we leave.
It is a gun related forum so when gun unfriendlyness comes up the logical solution is to go to a gun friendlier location.

Quote:
If I had an opportunity to make more money in another state it would be seriously considered but, to be honest, NJ isn't such a bad place.
Like I said nothing wrong with that but cost of living has to be considered I had this discussion yesterday at work. I bought a house and my payments were about $800/mo for a 4br 3ba house on half an acre in a good neighborhood in a good location. I talked to some ex New Yorkers who tell me you can't get a cracker box for that kind of cash. More money isn't everything. I passed on jobs making more because for what I do I'm fairly happy and some things money can't buy like low stress piece of mind.

Quote:
My point is that you say if "everyone left" it would send a message, and I agree but, that's not what's being advocated here at all (nor would it ever happen). What's being suggested is that all "gun owners" leave. Well, I don't know if you noticed but, gun owners are in the minority here. The general population would likely be happy if we all left and took our guns with us. And therein lies the problem. NJ is one of the richest states in the Union, it's not going to crumble and disappear if some of us leave.
Maybe not but would you really care. NJ would still be gun unfriendly and maybe get worse and you would be living in a gun friendly state.

Quote:
To look at it from another perspective. If you live in an area that sees a large influx of Muslims who are pressing the local/state government to pass laws that are more in line with their ideals and beliefs would you suggest that everyone currently living there who is not Muslim leave? Effectively creating a Muslim enclave? I mean, if you all leave it will send a message right? Or will it just solidify and empower the Muslim majority that's left? And if it did, will that somehow preserve your ideals or will it further threaten them.
Oh no you di-ent (go there). The whole idea is to live and elect local officials that think like you. A nearby city, Kennesaw GA, the same city that passed a law years ago the requires every head of household to maintain a gun. It was a protest law in response to Morton Grove, IL banning handguns. The city counsel also recently denied a permit for a Muslim church in a shopping center. They later reconsidered under the Mayor's suggestion they would be violating the law.

Quote:
I just think the knee jerk response of "just leave" is immature, and somewhat ignorant, as it doesn't consider the individual's circumstances, nor does it take into account the bigger picture.
Again I have read people suggest this but this is a gun forum and it only makes sense. I hope you wern't talking to me because in this thread I believe I was the only one saying anything close to that. When people get mad at me and rant and rave I usually tell them to go back and carefully read what I wrote. I try to be careful what I write and try to be precise in my language. I merely said that you (and /or others) should "CONSIDER" moving.
fixitfred is offline  
Old January 24th, 2015, 12:22 PM   #24
 
Nam Vet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 7,800
Nam Vet is a name known to allNam Vet is a name known to allNam Vet is a name known to allNam Vet is a name known to allNam Vet is a name known to allNam Vet is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
Nah, everyone thinks all of NJ is Newark airport and smoke stacks.

If someone dropped you in the Pine Barrens you wouldn't even know you were in the northeast. The 100+ miles of beach doesn't hurt either.

Paulnlee, I grew up 20 minutes from you. I work out in Hunterdon County all the time.
Think I opened up a can of worms. My big problem here is the long wait for pistol permits. Put in for 2 in Oct. still waiting, 4 or 5 months is not out of the norm.

It's really a beautiful state. As Budasac stated we have the Pine Barrens, and beautiful beaches.
Nam Vet is online now  
Old January 24th, 2015, 12:44 PM   #25
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 951
Budasac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitfred View Post
Yes but it is a discussion spawned from a gun related topic.

I'm not mad at you either but I sense some hostility or frustration.

It is a gun related forum so when gun unfriendlyness comes up the logical solution is to go to a gun friendlier location.

Like I said nothing wrong with that but cost of living has to be considered I had this discussion yesterday at work. I bought a house and my payments were about $800/mo for a 4br 3ba house on half an acre in a good neighborhood in a good location. I talked to some ex New Yorkers who tell me you can't get a cracker box for that kind of cash. More money isn't everything. I passed on jobs making more because for what I do I'm fairly happy and some things money can't buy like low stress piece of mind.

Maybe not but would you really care. NJ would still be gun unfriendly and maybe get worse and you would be living in a gun friendly state.

Oh no you di-ent (go there). The whole idea is to live and elect local officials that think like you. A nearby city, Kennesaw GA, the same city that passed a law years ago the requires every head of household to maintain a gun. It was a protest law in response to Morton Grove, IL banning handguns. The city counsel also recently denied a permit for a Muslim church in a shopping center. They later reconsidered under the Mayor's suggestion they would be violating the law.

Again I have read people suggest this but this is a gun forum and it only makes sense. I hope you wern't talking to me because in this thread I believe I was the only one saying anything close to that. When people get mad at me and rant and rave I usually tell them to go back and carefully read what I wrote. I try to be careful what I write and try to be precise in my language. I merely said that you (and /or others) should "CONSIDER" moving.
Like I said, not mad at ya. Not angry or frustrated either. I actually enjoy civil debates.

While it was a response to your post it wasn't directed at you specifically. Just a broad statement in reference to the same remarks being made repeatedly in multiple threads throughout this forum. People can live in a state and criticize certain aspects of it without feeling the need to leave. I think much more can be accomplished through discussion and debate then from simply suggesting someone you don't know pick up and leave their family because you don't agree with some of the laws in said state. (Again, when I say "you" I'm not referencing you personally but everyone who makes these comments.). Of course, if guns are your sole reason for being, it's an obvious choice. I seriously hope you that isn't the case for anyone though.

My Muslim analagy was simply an attempt to draw a parallel to a topic that many on this forum have strong views about. (Perhaps a poor choice but I think the point was made.)

As far as electing local officials that are like minded, that's great but, there is always the minority who's gonna lose. Which brings up another common theme among some who post on this forum, which is to blame those who live in liberal states for continually voting in anti gun politicians. That's like blaming all the members of this forum for electing Obama. We clearly aren't voting for these A-holes, but we're the minority. I certainly don't think that our California members are responsible for the politics in that state. They're simply outnumbered.

To your cost of living and property value comment, I agree. NJ is one of the most expensive places to live. As an example, my cousins moved to Arizona many,many years ago. They each have a large 5 bedroom house with a nice piece of property and big pool. One of them debated moving back East a few years ago to be closer to family and took a look at some real estate while out here visiting. With what he would get for his place in AZ he would be able to afford a 3 bedroom Cape here. Needless to say, he's still in AZ. As far as my situation, I can work anywhere, my wife however has a Masters Degree and a career in a field that would be wasted if we moved away from NYC and the stock market.

In any case, this is where I grew up and where I CHOOSE to live for one reason or another. I went to school out of state and have seen other areas of he country (though admittedly not enough). Eventually I will likely leave, either by choice or necessity, until then I'll continue to enjoy shooting in NJ and supporting groups and politicians who are more in line with my ideals (Even if they never win). I'm also going to get my NRA Instructor certificate so I can help to introduce as many people as possible to a hobby/sport that everyone on this forum so thoroughly enjoys.

Last edited by Budasac; January 24th, 2015 at 02:56 PM.
Budasac is offline  
Old January 24th, 2015, 12:59 PM   #26
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 951
Budasac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nam Vet View Post
Think I opened up a can of worms. My big problem here is the long wait for pistol permits. Put in for 2 in Oct. still waiting, 4 or 5 months is not out of the norm.

It's really a beautiful state. As Budasac stated we have the Pine Barrens, and beautiful beaches.
The permit issue is a local one and varies by town. I consistently get my permits in 3 weeks and never have an issue extending them if necessary. I actually just brought one in this week and was technically 2 days late for an extension but it was a non issue for my local PD. A guy who works at the local gun shop just received his after a 7 month wait though (he lives in different town.). I always get three when I apply whether I think I need them or not. I consider "one gun per month" a mandate as opposed to a restriction.
Budasac is offline  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Firearm Forum > Gun Events

None


Search tags for this page
gun show in new jersey
,

gun show nj

,
gun shows in new jersey
,

gun shows in nj

,
gun shows in nj 2015
,
gun shows near nj
,

gun shows nj

,
nj gun show
,
nj gun show 2015
,

nj gun shows

,
nj gun shows 2015
,

nj gun shows 2016

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hi from New Jersey! fmtek New Users 29 June 18th, 2012 05:15 PM
Hello From New Jersey Shug New Users 26 December 20th, 2011 10:32 AM
Hello from Jersey Coley New Users 23 June 27th, 2010 05:00 PM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2020 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.