f> Hogue Grip on OM Flattop XR3 GF - Ruger Forum

Ruger Forum

Hogue Grip on OM Flattop XR3 GF

This is a discussion on Hogue Grip on OM Flattop XR3 GF within the Ruger Single Action forums, part of the Pistol & Revolver Forum category; I found this Hogue Monogrip on Ebay. It is model number 83000. It went on my revolver like a glove even though the printed "fit ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Ruger Single Action

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old March 6th, 2017, 04:48 PM   #1
 
Hossbreed44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Boulder City, Nevada
Posts: 43
Hossbreed44 is on a distinguished road
Hogue Grip on OM Flattop XR3 GF

I found this Hogue Monogrip on Ebay. It is model number 83000. It went on my revolver like a glove even though the printed "fit list" on the Hogue package stated that my XR3 GF would not accept these grips. See photos below.

Perhaps someone can explain this to this ole cowboy.



I'm gonna take her out later this week and see how well these grips assist me in felt recoil.

And yes...I like the look and feel of these on my hunting sidearm.



Hossbreed44 is offline  
Advertisements
Old March 6th, 2017, 06:53 PM   #2
 
ngashooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Dawsonville georgia
Posts: 913
ngashooter will become famous soon enough
Welcome to the wild and wacky world of Ruger Single-Action grip frames. Mysteries abound. That's why custom grip makers want you to send them the grip-frame, or at least a tracing. While I don't care for the way the Monogrip looks on my Ruger single action revolvers, the improvement in feel, control, and accuracy can't be argued with. I simply shoot my .357 and .44 magnum single actions better with the "ugly" rubber grip. Since hitting the target is what it's all about I just ignore the looks.
ngashooter is offline  
Old March 6th, 2017, 09:45 PM   #3
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California
Posts: 1,845
Hondo44 will become famous soon enoughHondo44 will become famous soon enough
Bravo!

Hogue has been screwed up on Ruger grip frame for a long time.
Hondo44 is offline  
 
Old March 6th, 2017, 09:52 PM   #4
 
Hossbreed44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Boulder City, Nevada
Posts: 43
Hossbreed44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngashooter View Post
Welcome to the wild and wacky world of Ruger Single-Action grip frames. Mysteries abound. That's why custom grip makers want you to send them the grip-frame, or at least a tracing. While I don't care for the way the Monogrip looks on my Ruger single action revolvers, the improvement in feel, control, and accuracy can't be argued with. I simply shoot my .357 and .44 magnum single actions better with the "ugly" rubber grip. Since hitting the target is what it's all about I just ignore the looks.


Amen Brother!

Thanks for the explanation...
Hossbreed44 is offline  
Old March 7th, 2017, 05:37 AM   #5
 
Slenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Spokane Valley, Washington
Posts: 100
Slenk is on a distinguished road
I have the same Hogue grip . I think what they are saying the grip will not fit the square back trigger guard .
Slenk is offline  
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:18 AM   #6
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: WV USA
Posts: 22
Rick R2 is on a distinguished road
I used that grip on my SS 4 5/8" SBH for a couple years. This year I changed to the wooden version of the Hogue with a single finger groove mainly because the rubber grips are U G L Y on a SS gun. The wooden grips let me shoot every bit as well as the rubber grips did and now the little gun is easier on the eye. But if you guys keep posting pictures of blued guns with the rubber grips I'm just going to have to go find a blued .45 Colt to fit my grips...

Rick R2 is offline  
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:20 AM   #7
 
Hossbreed44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Boulder City, Nevada
Posts: 43
Hossbreed44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick R2 View Post
I used that grip on my SS 4 5/8" SBH for a couple years. This year I changed to the wooden version of the Hogue with a single finger groove mainly because the rubber grips are U G L Y on a SS gun. The wooden grips let me shoot every bit as well as the rubber grips did and now the little gun is easier on the eye. But if you guys keep posting pictures of blued guns with the rubber grips I'm just going to have to go find a blued .45 Colt to fit my grips...

Hossbreed44 is offline  
Old March 7th, 2017, 07:02 AM   #8
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,182
Ale-8(1) will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slenk View Post
I have the same Hogue grip . I think what they are saying the grip will not fit the square back trigger guard .
The "old XR3" is not the square-back version, it's the original one that preceded the XR3-RED and the profile is a little different. Depending on how close the mold for the rubbers was made they might not fit as intended.

That said, if they fit to one's satisfaction, then "it's all good".

Ale-8(1) is online now  
Old March 11th, 2017, 02:29 PM   #9
 
Hossbreed44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Boulder City, Nevada
Posts: 43
Hossbreed44 is on a distinguished road
So I took her out the other day and shot her with the Hogue's installed.

My-oh-my what a difference in felt recoil and overall control of this fine old gun.

I think I'll pick up some 300 or 305 grain hunting rounds for her now.

Hossbreed44 is offline  
Old March 15th, 2017, 04:55 AM   #10
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,368
at liberty is on a distinguished road
The gun pictured is a Flat Top, which uses a different grip than the other NMBHs. The confusion is probably original 3-screw versus New Model.

Last edited by at liberty; March 15th, 2017 at 05:00 AM.
at liberty is online now  
Old March 15th, 2017, 03:49 PM   #11
Ruger Connesewer ;)
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: NOVA
Posts: 313
GeoJammy is on a distinguished road
Sir Hossbreed, that there grip may fit like a glove but it looks like a sow's ear!! ... I say we take up a donation for Hoss to 'nable him to get a decent looking set of grips. All kidding aside, it doesn't look like much but if you like it, and it tames recoil, it's a winner ...
GeoJammy is online now  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Ruger Single Action

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grip Frame Question - XR3 vs. XR3-RED DTesch357 Ruger Single Action 10 September 9th, 2013 04:49 AM
Yet Another XR3 Grip Question mtymse63 Handgun Accessories 9 February 24th, 2013 07:11 PM
Want To Buy: OM XR3 grip frame Joe S Parts & Accessories 0 February 17th, 2013 01:41 PM
Hogue grip not fitting XR3 frame WTF? MATLOCK Ruger Single Action 6 November 12th, 2011 05:42 PM
XR3 (Not Red) Grip Issues Kragaholic Ruger Single Action 7 February 12th, 2011 05:55 PM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.