f> NEW AR-556 with Fixed Stock - Ruger Forum

Ruger Forum

NEW AR-556 with Fixed Stock

This is a discussion on NEW AR-556 with Fixed Stock within the Ruger Semi-Auto forums, part of the Rifle & Shotgun Forum category; Ruger® AR-556® * Autoloading Rifle Model 8510 HERA CQR-CA fixed stock....


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Rifle & Shotgun Forum > Ruger Semi-Auto

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old April 4th, 2017, 09:02 PM   #1
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Eastern Kentucky
Posts: 54
Tjw96 is on a distinguished road
NEW AR-556 with Fixed Stock

Ruger® AR-556® * Autoloading Rifle Model 8510

HERA CQR-CA fixed stock.



Tjw96 is offline  
Advertisements
Old April 5th, 2017, 01:43 AM   #2
The Fresh Prince
 
Neon Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Moonshine, TN
Posts: 19,624
Neon Horse is a splendid one to beholdNeon Horse is a splendid one to beholdNeon Horse is a splendid one to beholdNeon Horse is a splendid one to beholdNeon Horse is a splendid one to beholdNeon Horse is a splendid one to beholdNeon Horse is a splendid one to behold
Ew.... A neutered version!

I suppose this is good for those nanny states.
Neon Horse is online now  
Old April 5th, 2017, 04:09 AM   #3
 
Maddmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Boondocks NE IA.
Posts: 2,751
Maddmax is a name known to allMaddmax is a name known to allMaddmax is a name known to allMaddmax is a name known to allMaddmax is a name known to allMaddmax is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Horse View Post
Ew.... A neutered version!

I suppose this is good for those nanny states.

I agree. Those won't be seeing my collection anytime soon. YUK.
Maddmax is offline  
 
Old April 5th, 2017, 04:19 AM   #4
 
2ndGen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Elbert County, CO
Posts: 1,432
2ndGen will become famous soon enough2ndGen will become famous soon enough
One of the ugliest rifles in history.
2ndGen is online now  
Old April 5th, 2017, 04:33 AM   #5
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: wayne nj
Posts: 23,306
bwinters is a name known to allbwinters is a name known to allbwinters is a name known to allbwinters is a name known to allbwinters is a name known to allbwinters is a name known to all
I believe that one is made to be legal in New York state. Ye sit is ugly.
bwinters is offline  
Old April 5th, 2017, 05:23 AM   #6
 
Beachcityboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southeast Texas Coast
Posts: 63
Beachcityboy is on a distinguished road
Fugly !!!
Beachcityboy is offline  
Old April 5th, 2017, 06:06 AM   #7
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 44
boneuphtoner is on a distinguished road
What an ugly beast. I live in MD, and there is a new AR-556 recently made available that is almost identical to the standard except it has the heavy barrel profile, adding a whopping 0.2 lb to the total wait.

Ruger® AR-556® * Autoloading Rifle Model 8511

I may have to pick up one of these, as it is a bit lighter than my Windham AR.

I'm still a relatively new shooter, but I have to ask...what is about pistol grips that makes a rifle more "deadly"? I could see the logic in a flash hider and collapsible stock being more efficient, but the pistol grip has me baffled. Could it be due to the ease of one handed firing? For me my traditional Mini 14 is as easy as my Windham AR to fire one handed, so I can't see that being a logical reason.
boneuphtoner is offline  
Old April 5th, 2017, 06:30 AM   #8
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wylie, TX
Posts: 334
cyphertext will become famous soon enoughcyphertext will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
What an ugly beast. I live in MD, and there is a new AR-556 recently made available that is almost identical to the standard except it has the heavy barrel profile, adding a whopping 0.2 lb to the total wait.

Ruger® AR-556® * Autoloading Rifle Model 8511

I may have to pick up one of these, as it is a bit lighter than my Windham AR.

I'm still a relatively new shooter, but I have to ask...what is about pistol grips that makes a rifle more "deadly"? I could see the logic in a flash hider and collapsible stock being more efficient, but the pistol grip has me baffled. Could it be due to the ease of one handed firing? For me my traditional Mini 14 is as easy as my Windham AR to fire one handed, so I can't see that being a logical reason.
There is no logical reason... pistol grip, collapsible stock, flash supressor... these items are mostly cosmetic in nature and do nothing to make a rifle more deadly.
cyphertext is offline  
Old April 5th, 2017, 07:15 AM   #9
 
johnsxj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 2,123
johnsxj has a spectacular aura aboutjohnsxj has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
What an ugly beast. I live in MD, and there is a new AR-556 recently made available that is almost identical to the standard except it has the heavy barrel profile, adding a whopping 0.2 lb to the total wait.

Ruger® AR-556® * Autoloading Rifle Model 8511

I may have to pick up one of these, as it is a bit lighter than my Windham AR.

I'm still a relatively new shooter, but I have to ask...what is about pistol grips that makes a rifle more "deadly"? I could see the logic in a flash hider and collapsible stock being more efficient, but the pistol grip has me baffled. Could it be due to the ease of one handed firing? For me my traditional Mini 14 is as easy as my Windham AR to fire one handed, so I can't see that being a logical reason.
As has been noted, there's no logical reason

Thanks to our AG here in Massachusetts legislating from her office (new interpretation of "copies and duplicates" from the old Fed ban that MA adopted), I can't even buy that monstrosity the OP linked

Yet my Mini-14 as it's set up is perfectly legal

johnsxj is offline  
Old April 5th, 2017, 07:25 AM   #10
 
weblance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: I Love Daisy Bulldog
Posts: 3,118
weblance has a spectacular aura aboutweblance has a spectacular aura aboutweblance has a spectacular aura about
The new model has a featureless stock and is designed for the California market

The Hera CQR Buttstock allows you to remove the bullet button from your AR15/M4* and go back to the normal magazine release button due to it being a featureless stock.
weblance is offline  
Old April 5th, 2017, 08:23 AM   #11
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 44
boneuphtoner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphertext View Post
There is no logical reason... pistol grip, collapsible stock, flash supressor... these items are mostly cosmetic in nature and do nothing to make a rifle more deadly.
Even though I don't agree with it, I could argue about how allowing a flash supressor would allow you to lay down more deadly fire without giving away your location as easily. For the collapsible stock, it could be more easily transported as well as allowing you the most optimal shooting length of pull, etc....which could make the rifle more deadly (TIC). But for the pistol grip, I was not able to come up with a single logical argument about why its a bad thing. Again, I'm a relatively new shooter, but I didn't need any special tutorial when I picked up my traditional Mini 14 which didn't have a pistol grip. Truth be told, I never even noticed it didn't and until I read somewhere pointing it out!
boneuphtoner is offline  
Old April 5th, 2017, 08:24 AM   #12
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 44
boneuphtoner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsxj View Post
As has been noted, there's no logical reason

Thanks to our AG here in Massachusetts legislating from her office (new interpretation of "copies and duplicates" from the old Fed ban that MA adopted), I can't even buy that monstrosity the OP linked

Yet my Mini-14 as it's set up is perfectly legal

Oh my goodness! And I thought CA and my crazy Maryland were bad.
boneuphtoner is offline  
Old April 5th, 2017, 10:23 AM   #13
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wylie, TX
Posts: 334
cyphertext will become famous soon enoughcyphertext will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
Even though I don't agree with it, I could argue about how allowing a flash supressor would allow you to lay down more deadly fire without giving away your location as easily. For the collapsible stock, it could be more easily transported as well as allowing you the most optimal shooting length of pull, etc....which could make the rifle more deadly (TIC). But for the pistol grip, I was not able to come up with a single logical argument about why its a bad thing. Again, I'm a relatively new shooter, but I didn't need any special tutorial when I picked up my traditional Mini 14 which didn't have a pistol grip. Truth be told, I never even noticed it didn't and until I read somewhere pointing it out!
Again, those features do not make it any more deadly. They may make a rifle more efficient for certain roles, but not more deadly. I've shot hogs with a Mini 14 ranch rifle, and I have shot them with my AR. I used the same type of bullet... hogs died from being shot from each rifle... one hog was not more dead than the other.

A flash suppressor lowers the flash signature, but does not make it completely disappear. If you take the standard A2 type flash suppressor, it is probably more beneficial to the shooter by not blinding them in low light conditions than not giving away position. If you are going to "lay down" fire, your position will be compromised by more than just flash.

The collapsible stock, in combination with the shorter barrel, makes the weapon more compact for getting in and out of vehicles, and for use in clearing buildings, etc. Doesn't make it more deadly... just easier to utilize for certain roles.

Be careful how you word things and what you say... if one agrees with the logic that these items make a firearm more deadly, then it isn't much of a leap to try to ban other things, like optics.
cyphertext is offline  
Old April 5th, 2017, 10:48 AM   #14
 
Nashoba Losa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ada, Oklahoma
Posts: 2,040
Nashoba Losa is on a distinguished road
I agree. Quite disappointing in appearance. I expected something like the look of the M16A2 I carried back in the 1970s.
Nashoba Losa is offline  
Old April 5th, 2017, 11:06 AM   #15
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wylie, TX
Posts: 334
cyphertext will become famous soon enoughcyphertext will become famous soon enough
Maybe I am weird, but if you remove the panel to make it a thumb hole style stock, it's not that bad looking to me.
cyphertext is offline  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Rifle & Shotgun Forum > Ruger Semi-Auto

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AR-556 Fixed front sight cvillard Ruger Semi-Auto 17 Yesterday 01:56 PM
Century Arms C308 308 Win 18" 20 Rd Fixed Stock Black from $556.99 (make an offer) wikiarms WikiArms.com 0 June 15th, 2016 08:43 AM
Custom fixed stock SR556C tranefan Ruger Semi-Auto 9 February 5th, 2011 10:20 AM
SR-556 stock removal question! tooljedi Ruger Semi-Auto 2 July 27th, 2010 03:25 PM
Stock pistol sight fixed at low cost. stoble Optics 0 July 7th, 2009 09:52 PM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.