f> If you would -not- buy your mini 14 again- - Page 7 - Ruger Forum

Ruger Forum

If you would -not- buy your mini 14 again-

This is a discussion on If you would -not- buy your mini 14 again- within the Ruger Semi-Auto forums, part of the Rifle & Shotgun Forum category; I think it was Albert Einstein that said, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results. Varmint Terror, you ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Rifle & Shotgun Forum > Ruger Semi-Auto

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old April 9th, 2016, 06:44 PM   #91
 
sandog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: S W Montana
Posts: 1,327
sandog will become famous soon enoughsandog will become famous soon enough
I think it was Albert Einstein that said, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.
Varmint Terror, you could have asked me or any one of a few dozen guys here if one could turn a Mini into a competition shooter capable of better than 1-to-1.5 MOA, and we'd have told you no, and saved you $6,000.
You not only sunk $2,000 into a Mini hoping it would shoot along your 1/2 MOA rifles, but you did it two more times!
So to you a Mini is a "turd" because it won't shoot better than 1 MOA, and you can't pick off flies at 100 yards ?
I'm constantly amazed that there are still people out there, especially ones that are knowledgeable about firearms like you, that think a Mini is going to be something it's not.
A Mini is not a precision bolt rifle, or an AR with 24 inch stainless target barrel, so why would anyone expect it to shoot the same size groups ?
Mini's do what they are supposed to do, take out coyotes, foxes, deer or man size targets as far as most of us care to shoot, or should be shooting.
I got all three of my Mini's used for $400, and put around $200 in them. The biggest expense out of that, the Accustrut isn't even needed for the Mini-30, IMO, as it has a larger diameter .625" barrel, but really helped the 195 series Mini-14 as it had the .560" "pencil barrel".
I have not got any groups better than 1 inch, and never expect to. They shoot fine, as far as I'm concerned, but I'm sure for someone like yourself, who has some very unreal expectations, they are just 'turds".




Last edited by sandog; April 9th, 2016 at 07:03 PM.
sandog is offline  
Advertisements
Old April 9th, 2016, 07:01 PM   #92
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 189
PaddyD55 is on a distinguished road
I have a cheap SKS that will hang with our outshoot most minis at 100M At least any of the ones I have shot or seen in action out at the range.
PaddyD55 is offline  
Old April 9th, 2016, 07:08 PM   #93
 
sandog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: S W Montana
Posts: 1,327
sandog will become famous soon enoughsandog will become famous soon enough
Mini's have not been consistent over the years. in QC or accuracy. Also, shooter's skills vary greatly. I see guys all the time with new AR's that can barely keep all the shots on the paper, even at 50 or 100 yards.
So should I condemn all AR's as being inaccurate and not worth having ?
Or should I consider that maybe it's just some of the AR's, or perhaps the person behind the trigger ?
sandog is offline  
 
Old April 9th, 2016, 07:33 PM   #94
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,167
Varminterror will become famous soon enoughVarminterror will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varminterror View Post
Why would anyone spend $600-1000 on a Mini...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KameBastard View Post
Where do you people get 1000 dollar minis from? Does no one shop around for better prices any more? Pearl, MS walmart, gottem for 627 bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varminterror View Post
The Mini-14 Target runs a $950-ish street price off of the shelf. Cabelas near me had one marked $1150 about 4 months ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KameBastard View Post
The guy said a Mini 14 not a Target model. I know target Minis go for 900 and up, but thanks
Twist it however you want - I referenced the bare-bones Mini price clear up through the Target.

Whether it's $600 or $1,000 doesn't matter - they don't shoot well. Buying a Mini is like buying a car which will only do 45mph...
Varminterror is offline  
Old April 9th, 2016, 08:25 PM   #95
 
Lead Slanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,050
Lead Slanger will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varminterror View Post
Twist it however you want - I referenced the bare-bones Mini price clear up through the Target.

Whether it's $600 or $1,000 doesn't matter - they don't shoot well. Buying a Mini is like buying a car which will only do 45mph...
Ok. You've made your point. You don't like them. That's ok. You've answered the OP's question. Let's move on.....
Lead Slanger is offline  
Old April 9th, 2016, 09:47 PM   #96
 
KameBastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Below the Dixie Line
Posts: 377
KameBastard is on a distinguished road
Well I'll end my argument by saying that I must be doing something wrong. I bought a used Mini 14 for 500 dollars, got a Shilen match grade heavy barrel for 329 dollars, got a rifle manufacturer (Dixie Precision Rifles) to install it for 90 dollars, and scoped it with a Nikon for 225 dollars. And the rifle is capable of shooting half inch groups at 100 yards with steel case ammo.
oops, the barrel was 239 dollars, 329 all together

Now I'm no competitive shooter, I've only been hunting and shooting for 25 years, and I aint the best shot, but i can sometimes bring them together.

Last edited by KameBastard; April 10th, 2016 at 08:37 AM.
KameBastard is online now  
Old April 10th, 2016, 03:08 AM   #97
 
sandog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: S W Montana
Posts: 1,327
sandog will become famous soon enoughsandog will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varminterror View Post
Twist it however you want - I referenced the bare-bones Mini price clear up through the Target.

Whether it's $600 or $1,000 doesn't matter - they don't shoot well. Buying a Mini is like buying a car which will only do 45mph...
Buying Mini's, sinking money into them until you have $2000 in each, and then bitching because you can't get 1/2" groups is like buying a Kia Sorrento, putting another $20,000 into it and then being disappointed because it won't do 0 to 60 in 4 seconds and corner like a Maserati.
You can be forgiven for having false expectations for the Mini platform (and wasting a lot of money), but not for condemning ALL Mini's because your's did not meet your unreal expectations.
Ruger could have done more to improve the Mini over the years, but enough people like them for what they are. Ruger keeps selling a bunch of them, so they must be doing something right. Could they sell more if they improved them ?, sure. But Ruger is not very quick to change things. Look how long it took them to go to the heavier barrel.
No one ever said they are precision weapons, but they are a handy, reliable carbine that is plenty accurate for intended usage.
sandog is offline  
Old April 10th, 2016, 05:21 AM   #98
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: too far south
Posts: 95
snubby is on a distinguished road
The posts with all the info has been more helpful than we could have imagined, tnks.
snubby is offline  
Old April 10th, 2016, 09:13 AM   #99
 
Sr40ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,779
Sr40ken has a spectacular aura aboutSr40ken has a spectacular aura about
Just from a regular old man. I have a Mini 581 Tactical. I have a midgrade AR. My best friend has a Colt AR and a Tavor. We did a several hundred round shoot off. 105 degree temp and at 100 yards . some rapid fire and some see how tight we could get. My Palmetto grouped best, the Mini and the Colt were equal and the Tavor was the worst. None of them failed. I wouldn't hesitate using any of them as a service/survival rifle. To say a Mini doesn't work
is short sighted and as wrong as saying any Garand action is a failure but history proves that wrong
The least expensive in the group was the most accurate and the most expensive was the least. They all functioned perfectly. To date all of em but the Tavor have several thousand down the pipe.

Last edited by Sr40ken; April 10th, 2016 at 11:40 AM.
Sr40ken is offline  
Old April 13th, 2016, 02:43 PM   #100
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 488
hawkguy is on a distinguished road
i don't think i'll help much on this thread....but, i'll answer. i can't say i "would not" buy my mini 14 again....because if i had unlimited funds, my safe would have MANY mini 14s/30s.....

nothing but good experiences from me with the mini, it is a really nice rifle. and the strangest part? i have NEVER had anyone who personally shot my mini that disliked it! the only complaining about the mini i have ever witnessed is on the internet. things that make you go....hmmmm?

AR's are awesome. i DO NOT consider an AR a replacement for the mini, or the mini a replacement for the AR. they are both awesome.
hawkguy is offline  
Old April 13th, 2016, 06:02 PM   #101
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 340
kwg020 is on a distinguished road
If Ruger would have made the 583 30 years ago, I'll bet this thread would read a whole lot different. Ruger did drop the ball for what ever reasons they had. There is still some time to improve it as long as Ruger does not wait too long. 10 years from now the AR 15 will totally dominate the market and there will be no reason to own one.
kwg
kwg020 is offline  
Old April 14th, 2016, 03:27 AM   #102
 
sandog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: S W Montana
Posts: 1,327
sandog will become famous soon enoughsandog will become famous soon enough
You don't have to wait ten years, the AR already dominates the market, and has for years now. That doesn't mean some of us are going to rush out and buy another AR.
Part of the appeal of the AR, is someone gets to own the same carbine the military has (except for the select fire thing). I had enough of them from my Army and Reserve days.
I like the fact that I can have a very effective semi -auto in the Mini, and it doesn't raise eyebrows with the general public.
Before someone reminds me that the Mini is not a combat proven, military endorsed weapon, how many of us are actually gonna need to go into battle with what is in our gun safes ? And how many of the armchair "experts" out there that tell me I gotta have an AR or nothing, have actually seen any combat ?
The Mini is really underrated, and anyone that tells you they are a worthless "turd", doesn't really know them, or how to setup/tune them properly. About 20 years ago, I'd have said the same thing, but much has been learned by guys here and on another forum on how to make the Mini shine.
The Mini must be the most misunderstood/badmouthed rifle out there. Some of it is due to Ruger not caring to improve the Mini, and inconsistent QC on their part.
Much of it is due to repeating something they heard, and guys just not having a clue on how to have a Mini run great.
sandog is offline  
Old April 14th, 2016, 05:13 PM   #103
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 488
hawkguy is on a distinguished road
well said, sandog.

what i find strange is that....people seem uncomfortable at the idea of choices. in the world of 223 semi autos....how many choices are there? do people really want the AR to be the only choice? NOT me!

the AR is great. but i wish there was at least 10 other 223 platforms to chose from....but there really isn't. the mini 14 offers a refreshing alternative to the AR, and i am so glad it is out there. even if i didn't love it...i'd still be grateful for the variety.

i'll say it again...NO ONE that has shot my mini has disliked it. i'll take the personal experience over anything i read on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
You don't have to wait ten years, the AR already dominates the market, and has for years now. That doesn't mean some of us are going to rush out and buy another AR.
Part of the appeal of the AR, is someone gets to own the same carbine the military has (except for the select fire thing). I had enough of them from my Army and Reserve days.
I like the fact that I can have a very effective semi -auto in the Mini, and it doesn't raise eyebrows with the general public.
Before someone reminds me that the Mini is not a combat proven, military endorsed weapon, how many of us are actually gonna need to go into battle with what is in our gun safes ? And how many of the armchair "experts" out there that tell me I gotta have an AR or nothing, have actually seen any combat ?
The Mini is really underrated, and anyone that tells you they are a worthless "turd", doesn't really know them, or how to setup/tune them properly. About 20 years ago, I'd have said the same thing, but much has been learned by guys here and on another forum on how to make the Mini shine.
The Mini must be the most misunderstood/badmouthed rifle out there. Some of it is due to Ruger not caring to improve the Mini, and inconsistent QC on their part.
Much of it is due to repeating something they heard, and guys just not having a clue on how to have a Mini run great.
hawkguy is offline  
Old April 15th, 2016, 08:56 AM   #104
 
COSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 370
COSteve will become famous soon enough
While I own both ARs and a Mini, the ARs will always dominate the marketplace because they are the BarbieŽ of the rifle set; you can dress them up any way you want them.

There are many, many armchair commandos who think the most important thing about their ARs are how they look. They don't have the skill or the inclination to practice good marksmanship to give themselves the tools to shoot accurately.

So mag dumps are their 'proof of quality' standard. 1MOA to them means "1 Minute Of Ammo." If I go to a public range, they are always out in force and 'spray and pray' is their mantra.
COSteve is offline  
Old April 15th, 2016, 11:04 AM   #105
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Orygun
Posts: 166
Hellgate is on a distinguished road
COSteve said: "If I go to a public range, they are always out in force and 'spray and pray' is their mantra."
Yeah, and boy, do I load up on free brass for reloading. Most of them just leave it laying on the concrete.
Hellgate is offline  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Rifle & Shotgun Forum > Ruger Semi-Auto


Search tags for this page
day in and day out most dependable mini-14 scopes - perfect union
,

mini 14 forum

,
mini 14 scopes - perfect union
,
mini 30 tactical, what adjustments modifications needed
,
mini-14 300 blackout
,
ruger min-14 forum
,
ruger mini 14 30 blackout accuracy
,
ruger mini 14 a long time between rebuild?
,

ruger mini 14 forum

,
why are mini 14 so expensive
,
why is the mini 14 so expensive now
,
would you buy a mini again
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will the A-Team Mini 14 stock (AC556) work for a Mini 30? StevenJ61 Ruger Semi-Auto 8 November 25th, 2015 05:48 PM
Mini 14 - Mo-Rod with Amega's Mini-Scout-Mount III odexplorer14 Ruger Semi-Auto 6 January 3rd, 2014 06:07 PM
Mini 14 - Amega Mini Scout Mount problem ... Mikeymus Ruger Semi-Auto 2 April 20th, 2013 09:29 AM
Just got my Mini Scout Mount III for my Mini 14 rifle... Sambo77 Ruger Semi-Auto 10 March 3rd, 2013 04:33 PM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.