f> If you would -not- buy your mini 14 again- - Page 15 - Ruger Forum

Ruger Forum

If you would -not- buy your mini 14 again-

This is a discussion on If you would -not- buy your mini 14 again- within the Ruger Semi-Auto forums, part of the Rifle & Shotgun Forum category; Originally Posted by ozarkpugs What problems other than problem with steel ammo , which will probably go away when cleaned ? And you admitted it ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Rifle & Shotgun Forum > Ruger Semi-Auto

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old March 28th, 2017, 05:50 PM   #211
 
KameBastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Below the Dixie Line
Posts: 377
KameBastard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
What problems other than problem with steel ammo , which will probably go away when cleaned ? And you admitted it out shot your 188 with brass ammo and if the old Bushmaster did twice as good as the Ruger then an AR (The Bushmaster) did better than twice as good as your 188 by your own words .


Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk
I said slightly better than my 188 tactical. I was using 62gr Monarch Steel ammo, getting 2.5 to 3inch groups at 100 yards and his hand loads yeilded 2inch groups out of the Ruger AR. The Bushmaster shoot a beautiful 1inch group with his hand loads and got 3inch groups with tulammo 55gr. The very new very clean Ruger AR would not cycle the tula at all. The difference in the rifles was not enough to impress me.



KameBastard is offline  
Advertisements
Old March 28th, 2017, 05:57 PM   #212
 
KameBastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Below the Dixie Line
Posts: 377
KameBastard is on a distinguished road
Also I haven't cleaned my Mini 14 in about 3 months and its 22 years old, I dont have to keep it primped with grease and oil to keep her working.
KameBastard is offline  
Old March 28th, 2017, 06:11 PM   #213
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: US
Posts: 11
ozarkpugs is on a distinguished road
You said twice as good as the Ruger so if it was twice as good as Ruger and Ruger was a little better than your 188 the Bushmaster was more than twice as good as your 18( (your words not mine ) anyone who has any knowledge of firearms knows weak ammo like Tulsa doesn't cycle as well in new tight guns as ones with wear .Run an assortment of quality ammo from several brands and weighs if you want a real comparison . Again I love the Mini and we're I to get a 7.63 X39 it would be my first choice but it is what it is

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk
ozarkpugs is offline  
 
Old March 28th, 2017, 06:17 PM   #214
 
KameBastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Below the Dixie Line
Posts: 377
KameBastard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
You said twice as good as the Ruger so if it was twice as good as Ruger and Ruger was a little better than your 188 the Bushmaster was more than twice as good as your 18( (your words not mine ) anyone who has any knowledge of firearms knows weak ammo like Tulsa doesn't cycle as well in new tight guns as ones with wear .Run an assortment of quality ammo from several brands and weighs if you want a real comparison . Again I love the Mini and we're I to get a 7.63 X39 it would be my first choice but it is what it is

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk
Read into it however you want, but I still wouldn't own a rifle that is a picky eater.
KameBastard is offline  
Old March 28th, 2017, 06:22 PM   #215
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: US
Posts: 11
ozarkpugs is on a distinguished road
I'm not reading anything into it I'm quoting you and no ARs are not for everyone but they are great for those who are willing to buy quality ammo and not too lazy to clean and lube every now and then .

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk
ozarkpugs is offline  
Old March 28th, 2017, 06:55 PM   #216
 
KameBastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Below the Dixie Line
Posts: 377
KameBastard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
I'm not reading anything into it I'm quoting you and no ARs are not for everyone but they are great for those who are willing to buy quality ammo and not too lazy to clean and lube every now and then .

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk
Look dude, I said twice the rifle, it is a figure of speech. I didnt say the rifle did twice as good, but comprehend it however you want. Thanks for calling me lazy, and cheap.
KameBastard is offline  
Old March 29th, 2017, 10:37 AM   #217
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Camilla GA
Posts: 88
22 magnum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJF View Post
Jason, congrats! Crow is best served warm, grilled, and presented in a creamy garlic sauce with long-grain brown rice and a sprig of parsley.

One small word of caution: some 582 Minis had problems - mostly with the bolt. It was a function, we think, of Ruger rapidly expanding production to keep up with demand with very little QC. It's a crap-shoot as to whether or not yours has any problems. Naturally, we only hear if there are problems, so I suspect the percentage is low, but it's there.

Blue loctite on the screws that hold on the rear sight as well as the rail if you install it.

Ruger makes it well if you have a problem - either by fixing or replacing with a 583 model.

Enjoy! This site is a font of knowledge show you have questions, etc.
Thanks RJF for the menu suggestion and the pointers!
I'll most likely get to do some barrel break-in this weekend if the honey do list isn't too long...

Btw- I see your in spotsylvania, I spent a lot of time on Lake Anna when I was a kid long before it was built up....


Jason
22 magnum is online now  
Old March 29th, 2017, 01:30 PM   #218
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 29
Sicamosley is on a distinguished road
I'm a Mini guy. I like the Mid Ninties ones the best. In my experience, with a Strut, I've not noticed any noticeable accuracy difference over a 580 series Mini.

If I want to tack drive, I'll use my .243 Ruger American. With that, all I did was Burnish the Barrel and put a 3x9 Nikon Buckmaster 2 scope on it. I got the Rifle on Clearance at Wally World for $199.

From a rest regularly shoot sub MOA at 100 yards, and 1.5 MOA at 225 yards. All with glass and gun I payed less than $300 for.

Not an AR guy, because they crap themselves when they get dirty. And I can run Steel through the Mini with no issues.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sicamosley is online now  
Old March 29th, 2017, 05:51 PM   #219
 
KameBastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Below the Dixie Line
Posts: 377
KameBastard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicamosley View Post
I'm a Mini guy. I like the Mid Ninties ones the best. In my experience, with a Strut, I've not noticed any noticeable accuracy difference over a 580 series Mini.

Not an AR guy, because they crap themselves when they get dirty. And I can run Steel through the Mini with no issues.
This is my new hero flame war in 3, 2, 1. too late.

Good to have you sir, I would have to say for the very first post made it's the best I've ever seen.
KameBastard is offline  
Old March 29th, 2017, 07:43 PM   #220
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 29
Sicamosley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
You said twice as good as the Ruger so if it was twice as good as Ruger and Ruger was a little better than your 188 the Bushmaster was more than twice as good as your 18( (your words not mine ) anyone who has any knowledge of firearms knows weak ammo like Tulsa doesn't cycle as well in new tight guns as ones with wear .Run an assortment of quality ammo from several brands and weighs if you want a real comparison . Again I love the Mini and we're I to get a 7.63 X39 it would be my first choice but it is what it is

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk


I don't consider an AR shooting SLIGHTLY better groups with custom loads, than a Mini shooting $.30/round cheapo steel case ammo, a telling victory. But that's just me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sicamosley is online now  
Old March 30th, 2017, 12:08 AM   #221
 
KameBastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Below the Dixie Line
Posts: 377
KameBastard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicamosley View Post
I don't consider an AR shooting SLIGHTLY better groups with custom loads, than a Mini shooting $.30/round cheapo steel case ammo, a telling victory. But that's just me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well the monarch ammo I get is $5.27 a box of 20 witch is .26 cents a round. But good ole pugs could not see that point, just rather miss interpret what ever I said. What was hilarious is his opening statement that the ruger AR556 is more dependable than a mini but later admits that it can't shot steel case ammo, and needs to be kept clean to operate properly. Funny huh?
KameBastard is offline  
Old April 6th, 2017, 12:09 AM   #222
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 29
Sicamosley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KameBastard View Post
Well the monarch ammo I get is $5.27 a box of 20 witch is .26 cents a round. But good ole pugs could not see that point, just rather miss interpret what ever I said. What was hilarious is his opening statement that the ruger AR556 is more dependable than a mini but later admits that it can't shot steel case ammo, and needs to be kept clean to operate properly. Funny huh?


Where at? I get mine at Academy for 27.5 cents a round. Free shipping over $25 tho!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sicamosley is online now  
Old April 6th, 2017, 04:20 AM   #223
 
KameBastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Below the Dixie Line
Posts: 377
KameBastard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicamosley View Post
Where at? I get mine at Academy for 27.5 cents a round. Free shipping over $25 tho!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well they have gone slightly up since the last time I bought them, they are $5.49 a box now at academy.

Monarch® .223 Remington 62-Grain FMJ Rifle Ammunition | Academy

It's been a few months since I got them and academy was running some "hot deals" on a bunch of items, but I was hoping the cost of guns and ammo would go down now.
KameBastard is offline  
Old April 11th, 2017, 01:28 PM   #224
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 29
Sicamosley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KameBastard View Post
Well they have gone slightly up since the last time I bought them, they are $5.49 a box now at academy.

Monarch .223 Remington 62-Grain FMJ Rifle Ammunition | Academy

It's been a few months since I got them and academy was running some "hot deals" on a bunch of items, but I was hoping the cost of guns and ammo would go down now.


I just had 25 boxes of the stuff come in, as well as some 9mm and .22lr


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sicamosley is online now  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Rifle & Shotgun Forum > Ruger Semi-Auto


Search tags for this page
58x series mini 14 accuracy
,
day in and day out most dependable mini-14 scopes - perfect union
,

mini 14 forum

,
mini 30 tactical, what adjustments modifications needed
,
mini-14 300 blackout
,
ruger min-14 forum
,
ruger mini 14 30 blackout accuracy
,
ruger mini 14 a long time between rebuild?
,

ruger mini 14 forum

,
why are mini 14 so expensive
,
why is the mini 14 so expensive now
,
would you buy a mini again
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will the A-Team Mini 14 stock (AC556) work for a Mini 30? StevenJ61 Ruger Semi-Auto 8 November 25th, 2015 05:48 PM
Mini 14 - Mo-Rod with Amega's Mini-Scout-Mount III odexplorer14 Ruger Semi-Auto 6 January 3rd, 2014 06:07 PM
Mini 14 - Amega Mini Scout Mount problem ... Mikeymus Ruger Semi-Auto 2 April 20th, 2013 09:29 AM
Just got my Mini Scout Mount III for my Mini 14 rifle... Sambo77 Ruger Semi-Auto 10 March 3rd, 2013 04:33 PM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.