Ruger Forum

Rail for a Red Dot on a Mark II

This is a discussion on Rail for a Red Dot on a Mark II within the Ruger Rimfires forums, part of the Pistol & Revolver Forum category; I have a Ruger Mark II with a non-adjustable rear sight. As I read the info on the Weigand rail, it seems to require an ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Ruger Rimfires

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old April 11th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #1
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 125
RThomas is on a distinguished road
Rail for a Red Dot on a Mark II

I have a Ruger Mark II with a non-adjustable rear sight. As I read the info on the Weigand rail, it seems to require an adjustable sight model. Is there a way to attach a rail on my gun without permanent modifications/drilling/tapping?



RThomas is offline  
Advertisements
Old April 11th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St. Nicholas PEI
Posts: 5
cgreencorn1 is on a distinguished road
Not sure if this will help, scroll to the bottom.

Ameritek Mounts - Ruger

http://www.jackweigand.com/rm2fd.html

Last edited by cgreencorn1; April 11th, 2013 at 10:31 AM.
cgreencorn1 is offline  
Old April 11th, 2013, 11:42 AM   #3
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 100
kacher1 is on a distinguished road
The fixed rear sight can be removed (drifted out) like target sight but not sure the dovetail is the same size as the target model. That's probably what you are asking. I would bet it is but you can search and probably find the answer or wait for an answer on this thread.
kacher1 is offline  
Old April 11th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #4
 
Bullseye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: , , .
Posts: 681
Bullseye is on a distinguished road
The rear dovetails are all cut to the same size between fixed and adjustable sight models.

R,
Bullseye
Bullseye is offline  
Old April 11th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #5
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 125
RThomas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgreencorn1 View Post
Not sure if this will help, scroll to the bottom.

Ameritek Mounts - Ruger

Ruger 22/45 scope mount MKII MKII MKI weaver
These seem to be able to do it - thank you for the links. I wonder if anyone here has used one of these solutions, and does it work as hoped?
RThomas is offline  
Old April 12th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #6
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 100
kacher1 is on a distinguished road
Both of those links show the Weigand no gunsmith mount. Here is one on my Mark II.

MK678 1983 with Millett SP-1
kacher1 is offline  
Old April 12th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #7
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 125
RThomas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacher1 View Post
Both of those links show the Weigand no gunsmith mount. Here is one on my Mark II.

MK678 1983 with Millett SP-1
Looks nice! How has the Millet SP-1 worked out for you?

And how difficult/easy is it to remove the original (fixed?) rear sight to mount the new rail?
RThomas is offline  
Old April 12th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #8
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 383
Rugaman is on a distinguished road
I have a MKII and a MKIII. One with adjustables one without. The SP-1 and Weigand rail made these guns my new favorites! The Millet SP-1 is a bargain.
Millet Red Dot
Rugaman is offline  
Old April 12th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #9
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 100
kacher1 is on a distinguished road
Have only had this Millett for short time but had an SP2 which basically is the same except 30mm vice 25 on the SP1. I like both and had no problem with the SP2.

As far as the rear sight goes I have only removed 2 adjustable sights. Maybe start and ask in another thread about removing the fixed rear sight. I know it should be removed left to right. Soak it in Kroil or some other "creeping" oil over night and use a padded vice and a 5/16th wooden dowel (or something similar) (cut to about 3 or 3 inches) so as to not mar the sight. Others have used a piece of brass or copper rod to whack it.
kacher1 is offline  
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #10
 
Model 52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 439
Model 52 is on a distinguished road
I am not a big fan of Picatinny rails on anything other than an AR-15 - and then only in moderation.

My preference is a very low profile mount like this one:

Ruger Mk I, II and III mount

And, the only red dot sight I've ever been truly satisfied with on a pistol is the Ultra Dot for the following reasons:

1) it is for all intents and purposes parallax free, which is critical on a pistol;
2) it is light weight
3) it is comparatively low profile so that your line of sight is fairly close to center of the bore which reduces canting errors - something that is even more important with pistol cartridges that normally have rainbow trajectories, like the .22 LR, 9mm, .45 ACP, etc; and
4) it is incredibly rugged and last forever.

The Millet SP-1 looks a lot like an Ultra Dot, but you generally get what you pay for and cutting $100 off the price compared to an Ultra Dot also means cutting corners on quality, which means crappier optics, lens flare, a less precise dot, parallax issues and crappy rings. No thanks. I'd rather spend an extra $100, buy once and have a sight that will last 20-30 years (I still have and still use the first Ultra Dot I bought around 1990.)

30mm tubes are all the range on scopes and on red dots, and for higher powered scopes it makes more sense due to the need for more light transmission and wider fields of view than you can get with a 1" tube, but it's counter productive on a 1x magnification red dot sight. My preference here is a 25mm Ultra Dot as it has a very clean profile when viewed from behind, so it obscures very little of the target, and the idea with a 1x red dot on a pistol is to shoot with both eyes wide open to get maximum depth perception and maximum field of view. In that regard, less is more in terms of the tube itself as smaller diameter means less bulk and obstruction in your field of view.

Similarly, I am not a fan of a tall rail like the one on the pistol shown in this thread. There is absolutely no upside to having a 1/2" thick rail on your pistol. All it does is add excess weight and even worse, excess height that aggravates any canting errors. The MK I, II and III use a tube receiver that's already quite stiff, so a thicker rail adds nothing and you are far better off with the thin mount shown in the link above with low rings that will mount a 25mm Ultra Dot as close to the mount as possible.
Model 52 is offline  
Old April 13th, 2013, 03:09 AM   #11
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 125
RThomas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model 52 View Post
I am not a big fan of Picatinny rails on anything other than an AR-15 - and then only in moderation.

My preference is a very low profile mount like this one:

Ruger Mk I, II and III mount

And, the only red dot sight I've ever been truly satisfied with on a pistol is the Ultra Dot for the following reasons:

1) it is for all intents and purposes parallax free, which is critical on a pistol;
2) it is light weight
3) it is comparatively low profile so that your line of sight is fairly close to center of the bore which reduces canting errors - something that is even more important with pistol cartridges that normally have rainbow trajectories, like the .22 LR, 9mm, .45 ACP, etc; and
4) it is incredibly rugged and last forever.

The Millet SP-1 looks a lot like an Ultra Dot, but you generally get what you pay for and cutting $100 off the price compared to an Ultra Dot also means cutting corners on quality, which means crappier optics, lens flare, a less precise dot, parallax issues and crappy rings. No thanks. I'd rather spend an extra $100, buy once and have a sight that will last 20-30 years (I still have and still use the first Ultra Dot I bought around 1990.)

30mm tubes are all the range on scopes and on red dots, and for higher powered scopes it makes more sense due to the need for more light transmission and wider fields of view than you can get with a 1" tube, but it's counter productive on a 1x magnification red dot sight. My preference here is a 25mm Ultra Dot as it has a very clean profile when viewed from behind, so it obscures very little of the target, and the idea with a 1x red dot on a pistol is to shoot with both eyes wide open to get maximum depth perception and maximum field of view. In that regard, less is more in terms of the tube itself as smaller diameter means less bulk and obstruction in your field of view.

Similarly, I am not a fan of a tall rail like the one on the pistol shown in this thread. There is absolutely no upside to having a 1/2" thick rail on your pistol. All it does is add excess weight and even worse, excess height that aggravates any canting errors. The MK I, II and III use a tube receiver that's already quite stiff, so a thicker rail adds nothing and you are far better off with the thin mount shown in the link above with low rings that will mount a 25mm Ultra Dot as close to the mount as possible.
I appreciate these thoughts, and all the possibilities given on the thread so far. I know, I know: "Buy cheap buy twice." It's always hard for me to optimize the intersection of the price and quality curves - but always that issue arises. Thanks to you all.
RThomas is offline  
Old April 13th, 2013, 06:21 AM   #12
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 100
kacher1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model 52 View Post
I am not a big fan of Picatinny rails on anything other than an AR-15 - and then only in moderation.

My preference is a very low profile mount like this one:

Ruger Mk I, II and III mount

And, the only red dot sight I've ever been truly satisfied with on a pistol is the Ultra Dot for the following reasons:

1) it is for all intents and purposes parallax free, which is critical on a pistol;
2) it is light weight
3) it is comparatively low profile so that your line of sight is fairly close to center of the bore which reduces canting errors - something that is even more important with pistol cartridges that normally have rainbow trajectories, like the .22 LR, 9mm, .45 ACP, etc; and
4) it is incredibly rugged and last forever.

The Millet SP-1 looks a lot like an Ultra Dot, but you generally get what you pay for and cutting $100 off the price compared to an Ultra Dot also means cutting corners on quality, which means crappier optics, lens flare, a less precise dot, parallax issues and crappy rings. No thanks. I'd rather spend an extra $100, buy once and have a sight that will last 20-30 years (I still have and still use the first Ultra Dot I bought around 1990.)

30mm tubes are all the range on scopes and on red dots, and for higher powered scopes it makes more sense due to the need for more light transmission and wider fields of view than you can get with a 1" tube, but it's counter productive on a 1x magnification red dot sight. My preference here is a 25mm Ultra Dot as it has a very clean profile when viewed from behind, so it obscures very little of the target, and the idea with a 1x red dot on a pistol is to shoot with both eyes wide open to get maximum depth perception and maximum field of view. In that regard, less is more in terms of the tube itself as smaller diameter means less bulk and obstruction in your field of view.

Similarly, I am not a fan of a tall rail like the one on the pistol shown in this thread. There is absolutely no upside to having a 1/2" thick rail on your pistol. All it does is add excess weight and even worse, excess height that aggravates any canting errors. The MK I, II and III use a tube receiver that's already quite stiff, so a thicker rail adds nothing and you are far better off with the thin mount shown in the link above with low rings that will mount a 25mm Ultra Dot as close to the mount as possible.
First of all the OP asked about a no drill/tap rail. The link you provided is for a Ruger that is already drilled for a scope rail. Unfortunately, if you want a no drill/tap rail and a tube type red dot you are stuck with the higher rail.

Also, that is not a Picatinny rail in the pic above. It is Jack Weigand's new rail that either accepts weaver or picatinny rings.

My preference is also a low mount rail. I use an ultradot on my drilled and tapped Ruger. The millett is fine on the Weigand no gunsmith rail and provides an inexpensive, fully functional, solution to someone that does not want to drill/tap their gun and wants to use a tube type red dot. Of course there is the Fast fire style, reflex mounts for those who prefer that type of red dot and want to remove the rear sight.
kacher1 is offline  
Old April 13th, 2013, 06:43 AM   #13
 
Yiogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 649
Yiogo is on a distinguished road
So some II's were not drilled for mounts? Yiogo
Yiogo is offline  
Old April 13th, 2013, 08:08 AM   #14
 
mustachio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 18
mustachio is on a distinguished road


This is an MGM mount from Gil Hebard. Cost about $30.00. Solid and uses the rear sight dovetail slot. This one is about 20 years old.
mustachio is offline  
Old April 13th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #15
Retired Gunsmith
 
Iowegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Blair, NE
Posts: 8,527
Iowegan has a spectacular aura aboutIowegan has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase

Yiogo, None of the Standards or MK Is were factory drilled and tapped for a scope mount. Ruger made fixed sight and adjustable sight MK II models. None of the fixed sight models were D&T and only the adjustable sight models made in the last few years of production were D&T. With 22/45s, the same was true ... only the later production adjustable sight models were D&T. All MK IIIs are D&T ... even the fixed sight models.
Iowegan is offline  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Ruger Rimfires



Search tags for this page

picatinny base ruger mkii forum

,
rail mount ruger mk 2 pistol
,

rear site and rail for ruger mark ll

,
red dot for ruger mk ii
,
red dot systems for rugar mkii
,
red dots fore the mark 2
,

ruger mark ii picatinny rail

,

ruger mark iii rail size

,

ruger mark rail

,

ruger mk2 red dot mounts

,

ruger mkii red dot mount at williams gunsight

,

ruger mkii scope mount weigand

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mark III Target - Rail included or not? JoeBill Ruger Rimfires 20 April 20th, 2013 10:38 AM
Ruger factory scope rail for Mark I 22lr tackstrp Ruger Rimfires 0 March 22nd, 2012 08:40 AM
Longer picatinny rail for Mark III, sight system SahBooNim Ruger Rimfires 0 January 2nd, 2012 06:36 PM
Mount Weaver rail on Mark III barrel botom. adanac Ruger Pistols 2 September 26th, 2010 01:07 PM
Ruger Mark III 22/45 Rail Measurements GunsAreGood Ruger Rimfires 2 June 4th, 2010 10:15 AM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List  
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2014 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.