Ruger Forum

SR9 Torture Test?

This is a discussion on SR9 Torture Test? within the Ruger Pistols forums, part of the Pistol & Revolver Forum category; i wanna see someone dump thousands of rounds in it like they did with Glock, i guess the price of bullets prevents people from doing ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Ruger Pistols

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old July 29th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #16
 
TXDMERC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 345
TXDMERC is on a distinguished road
i wanna see someone dump thousands of rounds in it like they did with Glock, i guess the price of bullets prevents people from doing it.



TXDMERC is offline  
Advertisements
Old July 29th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #17
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: OH
Posts: 520
Outlaw450 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDMERC View Post
i wanna see someone dump thousands of rounds in it like they did with Glock, i guess the price of bullets prevents people from doing it.
Read post #3. 12,000 in two days without cleaning it once and 0 failures.
Outlaw450 is offline  
Old July 31st, 2011, 10:34 PM   #18
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brownsville thru El Paso
Posts: 148
2ndamd is on a distinguished road
Coffee Pot used to work for Ruger. He said they would randomly pull pistols for testing; 25,000 rounds had to be fired in the gun and gun inspected for excessive or abnormal wear.
2ndamd is offline  
Old August 5th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #19
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Holly Lake Ranch Tx
Posts: 174
White Falcon is on a distinguished road
Great gun!
White Falcon is offline  
Old August 5th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #20
 
mincoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Posts: 78
mincoda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bountyhunter View Post
The more I look, the more I like. I'm afraid to touch one. I might buy it!
If you touch one you will definitely buy one! I have had my SR9 for a few years now and love it more every time I shoot it...
mincoda is offline  
Old August 5th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #21
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: arizona
Posts: 46
conservativetroll is on a distinguished road
How much are they generally and do they shoot as soft as the P95?
conservativetroll is offline  
Old August 5th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #22
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 119
Fishman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBoy View Post
Was any kind of torture test done on the SR9? I am really taking an interest in this pistol.
Don't be fooled by torture tests. Torture testing in gun magazines and websites are setup by biased parties that have stake in a gun performing well.

How do you think Ruger would have responded if G&A posted a failed SR9 torture test? They might have pulled some of their advertising.

My rule of thumb is to believe very little of what Gunwriters say, outside of information about features. It is rare to get any negative feedback about any of the guns that they write about.

My second rule of thumb is to believe very little from websites that do torture testing. These folks are usually fans of the guns and will not provide unbiased feedback. In some cases, I'd be willing to bet that they were approached to do the testing by the gun company that manufactures the weapon.

I believe unbiased testing from government or agency testing.

If I were selecting an autoloading handgun, I'd pick either a Beretta 92, a Glock, or an M&P. All three guns have been extensively tested and have found to be durable and extremely reliable in REAL testing.

The ATF hand gun trials had three entries: Glock, Smith and Wesson, and Sig. The Sig P250 failed the testing. When it failed, the ATF disclosed specific information on the nature of the failures. Now, you can get P250s with night sites for next to nothing.

The M&P and the Glocks both passed. Over 20,000 rounds through each of these entries without a pistol malfunction.

I like the SR9, but if I were going to buy another pistol, it would either be another M&P, a Glock, or 92FS. I'm a big fan of guns that have good track records. I personally prefer S&W customer service over Ruger, as well.

Given the choice, I'd take S&W autoloaders Ruger revolvers.

Just my $0.02...

Last edited by Fishman; August 5th, 2011 at 04:17 PM.
Fishman is offline  
Old August 6th, 2011, 05:33 AM   #23
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 343
strick9 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
Don't be fooled by torture tests. Torture testing in gun magazines and websites are setup by biased parties that have stake in a gun performing well.

How do you think Ruger would have responded if G&A posted a failed SR9 torture test? They might have pulled some of their advertising.

My rule of thumb is to believe very little of what Gunwriters say, outside of information about features. It is rare to get any negative feedback about any of the guns that they write about.

My second rule of thumb is to believe very little from websites that do torture testing. These folks are usually fans of the guns and will not provide unbiased feedback. In some cases, I'd be willing to bet that they were approached to do the testing by the gun company that manufactures the weapon.

I believe unbiased testing from government or agency testing.

If I were selecting an autoloading handgun, I'd pick either a Beretta 92, a Glock, or an M&P. All three guns have been extensively tested and have found to be durable and extremely reliable in REAL testing.

The ATF hand gun trials had three entries: Glock, Smith and Wesson, and Sig. The Sig P250 failed the testing. When it failed, the ATF disclosed specific information on the nature of the failures. Now, you can get P250s with night sites for next to nothing.

The M&P and the Glocks both passed. Over 20,000 rounds through each of these entries without a pistol malfunction.

I like the SR9, but if I were going to buy another pistol, it would either be another M&P, a Glock, or 92FS. I'm a big fan of guns that have good track records. I personally prefer S&W customer service over Ruger, as well.

Given the choice, I'd take S&W autoloaders Ruger revolvers.

Just my $0.02...
Good thing our government agencies have never tried to fool anyone or have any bias in things they do!!!!

I wonder if the ATF sent these guns to Mexico for the real world testing?
strick9 is offline  
Old August 6th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #24
 
Spring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 148
Spring is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I like the SR9, but if I were going to buy another pistol, it would either be another M&P, a Glock, or 92FS. I'm a big fan of guns that have good track records. I personally prefer S&W customer service over Ruger, as well.
Eh, I think the thing to focus on is the current reports on the Ruger SR9 is plenty evidence. These mass communication forum would blow up with issues (like they did on the first release SR9). And for all the Glock-Fanboys, the Gen 4 has been swamped with issues because of the guide spring issues. You know how I know? Read the forums and you will see the posts. You will know when guns have a problem. All Glock had to do is send new springs but still...they were choking every few rounds so what does a torture test tell you about the current issues? They don't.

As for the choices..what if the 92, Glock and M&P are not the right size for my hand or my wife's hand? The SR9 fits my hand better as does it fit my wife's hand. I would suggest how the gun fits the operator is one of the primary considerations when making decisions about which guns to purchase.


As for my experience, my Ruger SR9 (3rd Gen) has been flawless and I expect it to run for a long time. Even if it had an issue, most manufactures are great on service and they will make it right.

The torture tests will come, till then just enjoy shooting the SR9.
Spring is offline  
Old August 6th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #25
 
Rugerismisticness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 998
Rugerismisticness is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieF View Post
Since the first time I picked one up, it's been torture to not own one. So I picked mine up today!

Eddie, that looks like the old style trigger unit. Are you sure that ones brand new? It looks like it needs the recall attention.

EDIT; oops, I didn't realize how old this thread was. I thought Ruger still had the red emblems in 08.

Last edited by Rugerismisticness; August 6th, 2011 at 06:08 AM.
Rugerismisticness is offline  
Old August 6th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #26
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 119
Fishman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring View Post
Eh, I think the thing to focus on is the current reports on the Ruger SR9 is plenty evidence. These mass communication forum would blow up with issues (like they did on the first release SR9). And for all the Glock-Fanboys, the Gen 4 has been swamped with issues because of the guide spring issues. You know how I know? Read the forums and you will see the posts. You will know when guns have a problem. All Glock had to do is send new springs but still...they were choking every few rounds so what does a torture test tell you about the current issues? They don't.

As for the choices..what if the 92, Glock and M&P are not the right size for my hand or my wife's hand? The SR9 fits my hand better as does it fit my wife's hand. I would suggest how the gun fits the operator is one of the primary considerations when making decisions about which guns to purchase.


As for my experience, my Ruger SR9 (3rd Gen) has been flawless and I expect it to run for a long time. Even if it had an issue, most manufactures are great on service and they will make it right.

The torture tests will come, till then just enjoy shooting the SR9.
Yeah, I've read about the issues with the G4 Glocks as well. I also saw problems with the M&Ps when they first came out, and let's not forget the SR9 safety recall. Let's also not forget the number of complaints that littered the two Ruger forums. Heck, there were so many SR9 issues that someone put an email together that listed all of different types of SR9 issues that were commonly seen. It was either here or at Rugerforum.com. You, my friend, have a highly selective memory.

The G4 did just fine in non-biased testing with over 20,000 rounds fired. Seems to me that Glock fixed the G4 problems. It sounds like Glock is fixing the problems on the G4s that went out the door as the complaints come in, kind of like Ruger and every other gun company.

All I know is the ATF trials posted malfunctions and reported facts about the performance of each of the guns tested. Sure, the officers involved had subjective input in the trials, but at the end of the day, the ATF wasn't worried about Sig's advertising money when it reported 13 gun induced stoppages during the first stage of testing. That is all the credibility that this pistol trial needs in my sight. Sig made a huge stink about this and issued a complaint against the ATF. The ATF ignored it. Data can sometimes be spun, but 13 stoppages is 13 stoppages. If the Glock or the M&P struggled, it would have been reported.

Just for the record, the M&Ps have three different palmswell sizes. Did you try all three? The small size palmswell is about the same size as the SR9 grip.
Fishman is offline  
Old August 6th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #27
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 119
Fishman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by strick9 View Post
Good thing our government agencies have never tried to fool anyone or have any bias in things they do!!!!

I wonder if the ATF sent these guns to Mexico for the real world testing?
The M&Ps are used by the Iraqi police and military. It is also used by the DEA, the ATF, and hundreds of police departments in the US and other countries. As of 2/1/2008, 276 police departments used them. As of 5/2009, over 550 police departments used them. Since 2009, more agencies have adopted the guns, but S&W hasn't bothered to continue reporting updated stats. Is that real enough for you?

I don't even need to mention Glocks. They are probably the most commonly issued side arm in the western world.
Fishman is offline  
Old August 6th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #28
 
Silversmok3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 328
Silversmok3 is an unknown quantity at this point
IMO, a torture test as written in most magazines is academic. Who cares if a gun can fire 10,000 rounds without breaking.

What matters is if it can fire 10,000 rounds without breaking accurately!
My SR9 probably would run to 10000 rounds without a problem, but Ill never carry it because it will send every round 8" above point of aim.
Silversmok3 is offline  
Old August 6th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #29
TMD
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: West Texas
Posts: 2,373
TMD is on a distinguished road
Talk about beating a dead horse, this thread is over three years old.....
TMD is offline  
Old August 6th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #30
 
Spring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 148
Spring is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Heck, there were so many SR9 issues that someone put an email together that listed all of different types of SR9 issues that were commonly seen. It was either here or at Rugerforum.com. You, my friend, have a highly selective memory.
Fish, if I have a highly-selective memory, then you have a highly-selective reading comprehension.

Read what I wrote....

Quote:
These mass communication forum would blow up with issues (like they did on the first release SR9)
As for M&P...those are fantastic guns. Smith&Wesson has a very aggressive LEO program that buys Glocks/Sigs from agencies for $350 each and sells in the M&P for close to nothing. Its a great gun, but don't confuse marketing with proof that is the 'better" gun. The better gun is the one that fits the operator.
Spring is offline  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Ruger Pistols



Search tags for this page
p95 torture test
,
ruger p95 torture test
,

ruger sr40 torture test

,
ruger sr40c torture test
,

ruger sr9 test

,

ruger sr9 torture test

,

ruger sr9c torture test

,
ruger torture test
,
sr40 torture test
,

sr9 torture test

,
sr9c torture
,
sr9c torture test
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LCR Torture test? 38spl Ruger Double Action 51 February 19th, 2013 04:18 PM
1000 ROUND TORTURE TEST Part 1 SorenityNow Ruger Pistols 17 August 9th, 2011 05:51 PM
Torture Testing a P345PR RNettles Ruger Pistols 11 May 29th, 2007 07:43 PM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List  
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2014 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.