f> I have to send my p89 back to Ruger - Ruger Forum

Ruger Forum

I have to send my p89 back to Ruger

This is a discussion on I have to send my p89 back to Ruger within the Ruger Pistols forums, part of the Pistol & Revolver Forum category; My trusty p89 let me down this week!! I couldnt believe it, ive never had a Ruger gun fail me ever.....(but i know customer service ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Ruger Pistols

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old April 12th, 2017, 11:30 AM   #1
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13
Stegs is on a distinguished road
I have to send my p89 back to Ruger

My trusty p89 let me down this week!!

I couldnt believe it, ive never had a Ruger gun fail me ever.....(but i know customer service will take great care of me)

I was out shooting my p89 the other night. A coworker is going to borrow it to shoot at his CPL training.

I took it out to make sure it was ready to go, and im glad i did.

The gun will fire the round, but it wont pull the empty case out and eject it. It just leaves it in the chamber.

I took the gun all apart, cleaned it as best i could, reassembled and went back out the next night. Using Ruger mags, it made it about 5 rounds before it did it again


It would do this over and over. I basically have a single shot p89.

Did a little research, sounds like the extractor can get weak over time, resulting in this exact problems

The gun has 1000s or flawless rounds thru it, i think she finally gave up.

Ill send it back to Ruger, they will give it a once over, it will come back ready for a few more thousand rounds!!


Gun is a 1995 p89
Mags used are Ruger and Mecgar
ammo used was winchester 115 grain fmj

I always use the winchester, never had a problem until the other night. Usually this gun shoots everything from brown bear, norinco, S&B, winchester, speer lawman, factory reloads etc....


Anyway, Im not mad, just shocked. First time ive ever had a Ruger do this, normally this is for lesser brands LOL



Stegs is offline  
Advertisements
Old April 12th, 2017, 11:32 AM   #2
 
eahicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 153
eahicks is on a distinguished road
Hopefully they CAN fix it... if it requires any parts and they actually have them. Good luck with it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eahicks is offline  
Old April 12th, 2017, 11:43 AM   #3
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13
Stegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eahicks View Post
Hopefully they CAN fix it... if it requires any parts and they actually have them. Good luck with it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lets hope, otherwise i got a paperweight here!
Stegs is offline  
 
Old April 12th, 2017, 04:31 PM   #4
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: DE
Posts: 79
Shootin357 is on a distinguished road
Before you send it back try different ammo. I have one that I bought that was in very good condition and it will do the same with Winchester ammo! It works flawlessly with everything else I have ever ran through it. I have tweaked the extractor,cleaned it,tried everything short of sending it back. I have found that extractor groove in Winchester brass isn't as deep as almost all others. Don't know if that is the issue or not I just don't shot Winchester ammo.
Shootin357 is offline  
Old April 13th, 2017, 03:02 AM   #5
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13
Stegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootin357 View Post
Before you send it back try different ammo. I have one that I bought that was in very good condition and it will do the same with Winchester ammo! It works flawlessly with everything else I have ever ran through it. I have tweaked the extractor,cleaned it,tried everything short of sending it back. I have found that extractor groove in Winchester brass isn't as deep as almost all others. Don't know if that is the issue or not I just don't shot Winchester ammo.
HMM, That sucks because i just bought 500 rounds of it!! LOL

Oh well my ruger pc9 and sr9c will eat it.

Usually the p89 is not picky

I will try another brand and see if that helps!!

Thanks for the input!
Stegs is offline  
Old April 13th, 2017, 08:07 AM   #6
 
gb6491's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Yuma County Arizona
Posts: 155
gb6491 is on a distinguished road
Stegs,
I read that you cleaned your P89 as best you could, but I'd like to ask if this included removing the extractor? If it didn't, may I suggest doing so...paying particular attention to the hole in the slide that retains the extractor in the slide (probably that whole area and the corresponding areas on the extractor) :



If cleaning that doesn't help and you still suspect extractor tension, you might give the old a extractor a slight bend. I'd also try to source an extra extractor in case Ruger doesn't have any on hand.

Regards,
Greg
gb6491 is offline  
Old April 13th, 2017, 08:31 AM   #7
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13
Stegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
Stegs,
I read that you cleaned your P89 as best you could, but I'd like to ask if this included removing the extractor? If it didn't, may I suggest doing so...paying particular attention to the hole in the slide that retains the extractor in the slide (probably that whole area and the corresponding areas on the extractor) :



If cleaning that doesn't help and you still suspect extractor tension, you might give the old a extractor a slight bend. I'd also try to source an extra extractor in case Ruger doesn't have any on hand.

Regards,
Greg
no i didnt do that, just your standard clean and lube
Is this part hard to take apart?
is it under tension where parts will fly?
Stegs is offline  
Old April 13th, 2017, 09:05 AM   #8
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Ruston
Posts: 45
johnwes40 is on a distinguished road
I have the same issues with my P95. I just contacted Ruger yesterday and they are sending me a mailing label to send the gun to them for repair. I wouldn't wait to try other ammo. I've tried new ammo cleaning and lubing, everything. Including the piece mentioned above. Im no longer willing to try things on my end. Its my home defense pistol so I need to KNOW it will fire EVERY time I pull that trigger. My new SR9 is a gem though so that will hold ne over until the P95 is fixed.
johnwes40 is offline  
Old April 13th, 2017, 09:57 AM   #9
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13
Stegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwes40 View Post
I have the same issues with my P95. I just contacted Ruger yesterday and they are sending me a mailing label to send the gun to them for repair. I wouldn't wait to try other ammo. I've tried new ammo cleaning and lubing, everything. Including the piece mentioned above. Im no longer willing to try things on my end. Its my home defense pistol so I need to KNOW it will fire EVERY time I pull that trigger. My new SR9 is a gem though so that will hold ne over until the P95 is fixed.
my sr9c is a gem too....such a nice handgun

I will call ruger right now and send it to them! i wont mess with it...leave it to the experts
Stegs is offline  
Old April 13th, 2017, 11:01 AM   #10
 
gb6491's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Yuma County Arizona
Posts: 155
gb6491 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegs View Post
no i didnt do that, just your standard clean and lube
Is this part hard to take apart?
is it under tension where parts will fly?
It's not hard to do.
I've done it with a small screwdriver, a chop stick:


.......even with a piece of fishing line: P89 slide disassembly question

The extractor has some pressure on it. but will not be flying anywhere.
If you have a safety model, just be sure not to disturb the right side lever (the extractor holds this part in place) as it has a spring and detent that can come out if the lever pulls free from the slide. The decocker version lever does not have the spring and detent.

Regards,
Greg
gb6491 is offline  
Old April 13th, 2017, 12:26 PM   #11
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13
Stegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
It's not hard to do.
I've done it with a small screwdriver, a chop stick:


.......even with a piece of fishing line: P89 slide disassembly question

The extractor has some pressure on it. but will not be flying anywhere.
If you have a safety model, just be sure not to disturb the right side lever (the extractor holds this part in place) as it has a spring and detent that can come out if the lever pulls free from the slide. The decocker version lever does not have the spring and detent.

Regards,
Greg

thanks for the info

I called Ruger, and of course they were really helpful. I spoke with a guy in prescott az. He said they have a guy that built Ruger p89 handguns for 10 years before they moved him to repairs.

I explained the issue, he said it sounds like a extractor problem and he is confident they will be able to fix it!! (great news)

Im hopeful. The guy also said they will go thru the gun and do a safety check.


On a side note, I gave him my serial number, and he told me my gun was made and test fired on March 28th, 1995. It was boxed and shipped that same day!

Kinda cool.

Ruger is 100% in my book. I continue to buy their products and love every single one!!
Stegs is offline  
Old April 13th, 2017, 01:35 PM   #12
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: PA
Posts: 304
GONRA is on a distinguished road
GONRA notes that extractor is CAST! Didn't know you could do that – and heat treat to springy without unacceptable breakage!

(Have seen SARCO after market CAST Luger extractors, but Luger extractors are rigid solids that are SPRING LOADED.)

Any metallurgy guys out there who can respond better?
GONRA is online now  
Old April 13th, 2017, 04:42 PM   #13
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: DE
Posts: 79
Shootin357 is on a distinguished road
I did remove my extractor and cleaned the hole and gave the extractor a little tweaking over a pencil. I would like to get it looked at by Ruger to see if there is an issue. I currently shoot my SR1911 most of the time. My P89 also seems to shoot right pretty bad. I should call them and maybe talk to someone there about it.
Shootin357 is offline  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Ruger Pistols

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I send this back to Ruger? desertrat357 Ruger Single Action 18 February 7th, 2015 03:50 PM
Should I send my new 10/22 back to Ruger? 01rednavigator Ruger 10/22 Rimfire 39 April 22nd, 2013 09:42 AM
Had to send my brand new single 9 back to Ruger Justin1972 Ruger Single Action 23 February 10th, 2013 09:40 AM
Had to send the new LC9 back to Ruger FredoSD Ruger Pistols 10 September 19th, 2012 06:32 AM
Had to Send LC9 Back To Ruger Again Claude Ruger Pistols 3 November 2nd, 2011 04:56 PM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.