f> Why do people pooh-pooh the RAP - Ruger Forum

Ruger Forum

Why do people pooh-pooh the RAP

This is a discussion on Why do people pooh-pooh the RAP within the Ruger Pistols forums, part of the Pistol & Revolver Forum category; Sort of an off topic question because I'm of the firm belief that a pistol should be reliable, accurate & an extension of your arm ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Ruger Pistols

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old December 31st, 2016, 11:35 AM   #1
 
rojasj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 252
rojasj is on a distinguished road
Why do people pooh-pooh the RAP

Sort of an off topic question because I'm of the firm belief that a pistol should be reliable, accurate & an extension of your arm first. Maybe perhaps a bit of rant.

Anyway...why are so many folks out there pooh-poohing the RAP's looks? I sort of had the same experience a bit in the past with mine which is chambered in 45 ACP. Someone made a comment that it was the bastard step child of a Hi-Point a VP-9. That comment was quickly quieted when each round that was fired from my RAP .45 hit the same hole at 15 yards (and I'm not that good of a shot at all). To be perfectly hnest for the price it's going for I wouldn't mind the 9mm RAP as a backup.

I personally don't like pickup trucks, Ferarri's, Porsche or Subaru Outbacks. But I don't go around pooh-poohing the owners choice telling the owner that an Outback looks like the bastard child of a Pathfinder and a station wagon.



rojasj is offline  
Advertisements
Old December 31st, 2016, 11:52 AM   #2
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 123
Mulebuk Sam is on a distinguished road
My guess is it brings really nothing new to the table. Just more of the same, the manufactures throw crap out there to see what will stick all trying to get a piece of Glocks market. They blew it and missed the boat, but that is the problem with American management, has been for decades. And most of the major gun manufactures are all own by Wall-Street and they work strictly off profit margins.

And once old man Glock dies if they go public then keep an eye out for what will happen.
But so you know Glock is not perfect it's only their advertisement, I've own 3 of them and only one was worth a d amn. And the truth be told I did not have a enough rounds through it to really even verify how good it was.

Ruger's American Pistol is a good firearm and it's affordable and nothing to be ashamed about.
Mulebuk Sam is offline  
Old December 31st, 2016, 12:37 PM   #3
 
GPNP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dover, De.
Posts: 611
GPNP is on a distinguished road
I really don't care about what other people have to say for the most part. What works for me is all that really matters. The same thing was happening 20 years ago when I got my P89. Now my P89 is still going strong and the people who were making all the nasty comments can't even remember what they had at that time or where it is. Get what works for you.
GPNP is offline  
 
Old December 31st, 2016, 02:45 PM   #4
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 519
Walkingwolf has a spectacular aura aboutWalkingwolf has a spectacular aura about
As long as I don't have to deal with RAP fanbois like the Glock fanbois the gun is good to go. A lot of what hurts Glock with some is the obnoxious ranting that Glocks are God's gift to handguns, and everything else is trash.
Walkingwolf is online now  
Old December 31st, 2016, 03:15 PM   #5
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: FL
Posts: 144
tacticalreload is on a distinguished road
(1) It's a Ruger. People who don't buy / own Rugers have this idea that a Ruger is barely a step above a Hi-Point / Kel-Tec / Jennings / Taurus / etc.... Brand snobbery. I know because back when I was young and stupid, I was the same way. I worked a security job where we had to buy our firearm. I carried a SIG P220, and another guy carried a Ruger P90. I thought it was weird that a guy who seemed to know how to shoot would not have "something better". Maybe I should have analyzed the situation a little bit better... just because they don't cost an arm and a leg, it doesn't mean that they are junk. I still love my SIGs, but I seem to take the Rugers to the range more often than them.

(2) It's new. Ruger's non-22lr autoloaders never really captured much of the market share. This one has even less because it's been out just about exactly one year. Plus, to some people, "new" = "untrustworthy" or "fad" or "not as good as the ol' standby". Even Ruger fans who love their SR-series seem to hate on the RAP.

(3) Youtube. Military Arms Channel was one of the first to do an extensive testing, and he said it hurt his thumb knuckle and how the back end of the gun is ugly. He even had someone show how it ripped skin off their hand. Nutnfancy did a video from shot show talking about how ugly the gun was and how heavy it is (he has a real boner about handgun weights for whatever reason). People eat that s**t up, and this allowed low-information buyers to cross the gun off their list without even being in the same building as one.

(4) It's heavier than a Glock. I'm not sure why this matters soooo much to people. I guess they are just more weight sensitive than I am. The gun is 5 ounces heavier than a Glock 17. FIVE OUNCES. One loaded 9mm mag weighs more than twice that much. Yet for whatever reason, those five ounces are enough to make one gun light as a feather and another too heavy to even touch.

(5) It's not a Glock / SIG / HK / S&W. Fanboys are gonna hate. It's what they do.

When people talk about how "ugly" it is, they tend to point to the squared off area in the back (the part that hurts MAC's thumb knuckle). Honestly, it's not that much different than a VP9 or a PPQ or even an M&P or Glock. Certainly not enough to make one gun "ugly" and another nice-looking.

What Mulebuck Sam said is basically true... it doesn't really bring anything new to the table. However, other than Glock, not many polymer striker guns really did. The P320 has modularity, but those X-Change kits cost almost as much as whole gun. The M&P is more ergonomic than a Glock. The VP9 has the interchangeable grip panels. The PPQ supposedly has a fantastic trigger (I don't find them to be all that wonderful). But in general, they are all just different entries into the same space that has been dominated by Glock since they were first to the market in a big way.

There is a kind of a catch-22 going on with the plastic striker gun market. You need to have a big following / big aftermarket / big LE dominance / long track record in order to attract tons of new buyers. However, to get all that stuff, you need to first attract tons of new buyers. The best gun in the world that just sits on dealers shelves is doomed to be discontinued eventually even if it's better than the market leaders.

The reality is that Glocks aren't anything special. They are cheap, easy to work on, have lots of aftermarket support, are reliable enough, are accurate enough, and are easy to use for people who don't have much training in firearms. The guns do what they do very well. What they don't do very well is largely ignored by the kool-aid drinkers because Glock's marketing people ALSO do what they do very well. I don't see Glock falling from the top spot in market share anytime soon unless there is a very large and unexpected incident... like a scandal showing that Glock actually makes their frames out of ground up kittens and puppies or something along those lines.

Last edited by tacticalreload; December 31st, 2016 at 04:31 PM.
tacticalreload is offline  
Old December 31st, 2016, 03:15 PM   #6
 
rojasj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 252
rojasj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
As long as I don't have to deal with RAP fanbois like the Glock fanbois the gun is good to go. A lot of what hurts Glock with some is the obnoxious ranting that Glocks are God's gift to handguns, and everything else is trash.
Very true indeed. I've seen people who have never ever shot a Glock trash talk every other handgun out there and recommend Glocks to new shooters.

I don't subscribe to the "Glock is the only way to go" mentality. I subscribe to the "is it reliable, does it fit you well and does the gun become a natural extension of your body so you can hit what you are aiming at" mentality.
rojasj is offline  
Old December 31st, 2016, 03:18 PM   #7
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: FL
Posts: 144
tacticalreload is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojasj View Post
Very true indeed. I've seen people who have never ever shot a Glock trash talk every other handgun out there and recommend Glocks to new shooters.

I don't subscribe to the "Glock is the only way to go" mentality. I subscribe to the "is it reliable, does it fit you well and does the gun become a natural extension of your body so you can hit what you are aiming at" mentality.
Most people who buy a handgun don't live, eat, and breath guns. They do a minimal level of research into what they should get. They buy a magazine or watch some youtube or ask their local gunshop commando for advice. Maybe they look at what they see in the holsters of their local PD. They hear "Glocks are indestructible. They never jam." and that's good enough for them to get one. Then they return the favor by telling other noobs that Glocks are the best ever. Rinse, repeat.
tacticalreload is offline  
Old December 31st, 2016, 03:26 PM   #8
 
rojasj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 252
rojasj is on a distinguished road
tacticalreload,



You're 100% correct Military Arms Channel and Nutnfancy did screw things up a bit for the RAP as many people subscribe to their channels. Personally I prefer a heavy handgun my heaviest is my 4" GP100 and love the weight.

You're also dead on regrading folks thinking that Ruger is just one step above Hi-point. Interesting enough I recall a few years back I purchased a M&P Sport 15 AR-15 variant. Oh boy...how many people pooh-phooed my choice because A) I didn't build it myself or B) it wasn't brand X or C) it's not what "they" would consider a AR platform. However, all those that pooh-poohed it... my M&P Sport 15 never once jammed or had any sort of feed issues while they would get jams while at the range. Of course they would chuck it up to "that's the nature of the AR-15 platform" or the ammo. My M&P Sport 15 shot their same ammo wet or bone dry and it just kept on running...
rojasj is offline  
Old December 31st, 2016, 03:29 PM   #9
 
rojasj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 252
rojasj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalreload View Post
Most people who buy a handgun don't live, eat, and breath guns. They do a minimal level of research into what they should get. They buy a magazine or watch some youtube or ask their local gunshop commando for advice. Maybe they look at what they see in the holsters of their local PD. They hear "Glocks are indestructible. They never jam." and that's good enough for them to get one. Then they return the favor by telling other noobs that Glocks are the best ever. Rinse, repeat.
Very..very accurate as to what I see at the range. The cops I know while very great people don't know guns from a dog turd other than the one they were issued. Yeah, I've heard the "Glocks are indestructible" bs as well. I call BS, put a double charge cartridge in there and see what happens.
rojasj is offline  
Old December 31st, 2016, 04:04 PM   #10
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: FL
Posts: 144
tacticalreload is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojasj View Post
Very..very accurate as to what I see at the range. The cops I know while very great people don't know guns from a dog turd other than the one they were issued. Yeah, I've heard the "Glocks are indestructible" bs as well. I call BS, put a double charge cartridge in there and see what happens.
Glock is extremely good at covering up the problems as well. The early guns with the black internals needed to be "upgraded" because of a safety issue. Notice this was an "upgrade" instead of a "recall". Early guns also had problems with frame rails breaking off. The gen3 22 and 23 are notorious for having problems when a weapon light is attached. They don't admit this problem... however, they change the RSA on the gen4. Only problem is that the new RSA causes problems in the 9mm version of the gun. So they modify the RSA again to "fix" the problem they won't admit exists. The infamous Glock kB! with .40 ammo is not acknowledged either. The model 42 was plagued with problems at its release. And the 42/43 both had issues with 8-9+ pound triggers in some guns. The newest 17M / 19M guns for the FBI had to go back almost immediately due to failure. If you look at the number of updates to magazines, followers, RSA, slide rails, etc., etc.... you'll see that Glock "perfection" gets changed because of lack of perfection constantly. They also benefit from the fact that, quite literally, they really have only made ONE MODEL of gun in the past 30 years. Different sizes and calibers... but it's basically all the same gun.

The new finish on their guns is terrible. It scratches if you even look at it funny. However the fanboys claim that it's preferable to the old, tough finish because that old finish was "too slippery" and made it hard to grip the slide. Either that or they will jump down your throat for calling it a "finish" when it's actually some sort of metal treatment... you know the old straw man argument technique.

Bottom line is that they are a good, solid gun as far as guns go. They aren't anywhere near what they claim to be... but you can do worse (and better). Their ergos stink, their fit and finish is just so-so, and they are probably also kind of overpriced at this point. However, if you just want something that goes bang and you like to play Legos with your firearms, it's as good a choice as any.
tacticalreload is offline  
Old December 31st, 2016, 04:09 PM   #11
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 123
Mulebuk Sam is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

@tacticalreload, spot on you nailed it all right there !
Mulebuk Sam is offline  
Old December 31st, 2016, 04:38 PM   #12
 
luvmysr9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: East TN
Posts: 1,823
luvmysr9 will become famous soon enoughluvmysr9 will become famous soon enough
"Glock" is the noise I've been making in my throat every morning this week because of a sinus infection. Personally, I like the look of the RAP pistols. I also like the looks of a few other "ugly" pistols like the Beretta 90-Two, Beretta APX (if they ever make it to America), H&K VP9, & even Ruger P89's.

I have to draw the line at Hi-Points & Glocks, though. We all have a fugly cutoff point.
luvmysr9 is offline  
Old December 31st, 2016, 06:31 PM   #13
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Glencoe, AL
Posts: 443
Piedpiper46 is on a distinguished road
This thread got way off from what OP posted. I'll get back on. I do not hate the RAP. However, I am very puzzled by it when the excellent SR9, SR40 and SR45 full size and compact already exist. Hey that is OK. Just more selection for us!
Piedpiper46 is offline  
Old December 31st, 2016, 07:10 PM   #14
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: FL
Posts: 144
tacticalreload is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmysr9 View Post
"Glock" is the noise I've been making in my throat every morning this week because of a sinus infection. Personally, I like the look of the RAP pistols. I also like the looks of a few other "ugly" pistols like the Beretta 90-Two, Beretta APX (if they ever make it to America), H&K VP9, & even Ruger P89's.

I have to draw the line at Hi-Points & Glocks, though. We all have a fugly cutoff point.
You had me until you said you like the looks of the APX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper46 View Post
This thread got way off from what OP posted. I'll get back on. I do not hate the RAP. However, I am very puzzled by it when the excellent SR9, SR40 and SR45 full size and compact already exist. Hey that is OK. Just more selection for us!
I never bothered with the SR series because of the mag disconnect, manual safety, and friggin' huge loaded chamber indicator. Also, if you go feature by feature, they aren't quite as similar as it would appear at first.
tacticalreload is offline  
Old December 31st, 2016, 07:15 PM   #15
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: wayne nj
Posts: 22,657
bwinters is a name known to allbwinters is a name known to allbwinters is a name known to allbwinters is a name known to allbwinters is a name known to allbwinters is a name known to all
I like the american but I have glocks and other polymer guns. I am a revolver guy at heart and I have loss of sensitivity in my dominant hand and my glocks have ny plus 12 lb trigger. any semi auto trigger under 10 lbs is unsafe for me. As a result I own no shooting 1911 pattern guns nor any browning hi power.
bwinters is offline  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Ruger Pistols

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RAP strikers paulkalman Gunsmithing 0 October 11th, 2016 11:22 AM
New RAP 45 PapaMAS Range Reports 0 August 13th, 2016 12:54 PM
RAP holster G36shooter Handgun Accessories 4 June 17th, 2016 03:20 AM
Dirty RAP's Dad45 Ruger Pistols 14 April 20th, 2016 08:31 AM
pic of the two new RAP's Dad45 Ruger Pistols 10 March 24th, 2016 04:48 PM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.