Ruger Forum

New KLCR 357

This is a discussion on New KLCR 357 within the Ruger Double Action forums, part of the Pistol & Revolver Forum category; I've had this gun about 2 weeks and just got to fire it last evening. I fired 100 rounds of 148 gr. HBWC. All impacted ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Ruger Double Action

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old January 21st, 2012, 06:24 AM   #1
 
mustachio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 18
mustachio is on a distinguished road
New KLCR 357

I've had this gun about 2 weeks and just got to fire it last evening.
I fired 100 rounds of 148 gr. HBWC. All impacted about 2" low and to the right. I also fired 25 rounds of Federal 130 gr. RN. These, too printed low and to the right. I then fired Winchester 125 gr JHP +P, Gold Dot 135 gr +P, and MagTech 125 gr Guardian +P. Total rounds fired was 170. All printed in the same place. BTW, the MagTech was an absolute flame thrower and had more recoil than the Gold Dot, which I will stick with for personal defense. I've had S&W J-frames in the past, and this one is mild to shoot compared to them. In my 637 I would not even consider a +P load-it was punishing. Not so with the KLCR. Maybe because of the weight, maybe because of the tamer grips.

However, to my original question, has shooting low and right been the experience of most LCR owners? I can compensate, but just curious to know if this is common.
mustachio aka Mike




Last edited by mustachio; January 21st, 2012 at 06:29 AM.
mustachio is offline  
Advertisements
Old January 21st, 2012, 06:36 AM   #2
 
weblance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: in my chair with the dog
Posts: 1,742
weblance is on a distinguished road
First off... Welcome. I have the KLCR and at first, mine was shooting low. I posted a thread here about it, and received numerous comments. I had never owned a snubby before, but with some practice and more range time, found that my KLCR is now right on the money. It takes some getting used to a Double Action Only revolver. Try dry firing it(its ok to dry fire the LCR) and watch the sights as the hammer falls. You will be surprised how, and where, they go. Also, when shooting targets, try to stage the trigger, this means pulling the trigger all the way to the point just before the hammer falls, and stop. align your sights and then fire the weapon, much like a Single Action gun works. If there really is a popint of impact problem, the front sight can be shaved, or replaced with the LCR22 front sight(lower, causing the POI to raise). I think with some practice, you will get things right like they should be without any changes to your revolver.
weblance is offline  
Old January 21st, 2012, 06:43 AM   #3
 
JaPes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NW Illinois
Posts: 529
JaPes is on a distinguished road
Not for me. When I do my job right, my KLCR's sights are dead on for windage & elevation.

When I don't do my job right....

I'll shoot .38 & .38+p just fine. The issue happens when I transition to .357 Mag. I'll reflexively try to compensate for the violent recoil by angling downward as I'm pressing the trigger. When this happens, my shot will go low and a little right.

I'll get frustrated. I'll clear the cylinder out, put down the gun, and step back from the firing line to calm down. I'll correct my technique & things will be good again.
JaPes is offline  
Old January 21st, 2012, 07:24 AM   #4
 
mustachio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 18
mustachio is on a distinguished road
what you say is true. Maybe just some more practiced. However, when I shot my 637 dao it printed fine. Then again, it is a different gun, a different trigger and I will have to get used to it. i don't want to do anything with the sights right now because I have the HI VIZ green fiber optics (really visible too) that are the same height as the original sights and you can't shave them down. I think I may try some Critical Defense ammo in 110 gr, non +P and see if I can reduce the recoil just a bit. thanks for you help.

Last edited by mustachio; January 21st, 2012 at 07:28 AM.
mustachio is offline  
Old January 21st, 2012, 12:39 PM   #5
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 496
Buffalo11 is on a distinguished road
You are tightening your grip as you pull the trigger..Stay relaxed a bit..
wPm
Buffalo11 is offline  
Old January 21st, 2012, 01:33 PM   #6
Wandering Sandlapper
 
JimB120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 3,174
JimB120 is on a distinguished road
The cammed trigger has a different feel than the standard triggers on the Smiths.

I had a tendencey to jerk it toward the end because it felt like it was not building. Once you get used to it however it is oh so much better than a traditional DAO.

Might experiment with higher bullet weights as well. Mine prefers 158gr which I believe is what they use to sight them at the factory.

Enjoy! Getting proficient with it is ALL the fun.
JimB120 is offline  
Old January 21st, 2012, 01:45 PM   #7
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Anchorage
Posts: 53
DanAK is on a distinguished road
No issues when I take my time. When i start to rush or just lose my focus, I end up all over the Target. I'm sure yours will settle down as you get comfortable with the new gun and trigger. Great purchase by the way.
DanAK is offline  
Old January 21st, 2012, 02:07 PM   #8
 
Doghandler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 276
Doghandler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo11 View Post
You are tightening your grip as you pull the trigger..Stay relaxed a bit..
wPm
Sage advice.
Doghandler is offline  
Old January 21st, 2012, 02:11 PM   #9
with Butter & Jelly
 
WhiteBreadLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Northern Carolina
Posts: 830
WhiteBreadLife is on a distinguished road
Whats the K in KLCR stand for?
WhiteBreadLife is offline  
Old January 21st, 2012, 02:11 PM   #10
 
Doghandler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 276
Doghandler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB120 View Post
...
I had a tendencey to jerk it toward the end because it felt like it was not building. Once you get used to it however it is oh so much better than a traditional DAO.
...
Hence my description, in another thread, that the LCR has a playful trigger.
Doghandler is offline  
Old January 21st, 2012, 02:31 PM   #11
 
mustachio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 18
mustachio is on a distinguished road
The K is Rugers designation for stainless steel, which the 357 is. I am not saying I did not have good groups, I did. Just that they were low and right.
mustachio is offline  
Old January 21st, 2012, 03:08 PM   #12
with Butter & Jelly
 
WhiteBreadLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Northern Carolina
Posts: 830
WhiteBreadLife is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustachio View Post
The K is Rugers designation for stainless steel, which the 357 is. I am not saying I did not have good groups, I did. Just that they were low and right.
So the 357 Version is not Aluminum Frame?
WhiteBreadLife is offline  
Old January 21st, 2012, 03:39 PM   #13
 
Stirfry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,206
Stirfry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBreadLife View Post
So the 357 Version is not Aluminum Frame?
no... it's stainless steel, as mentioned above.

if you look at the specs, the .357 is a little heavier. that's why.
it's still lighter than you average .357, and it has the outstanding LCR trigger...
Stirfry is offline  
Old January 21st, 2012, 04:20 PM   #14
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,297
tgwillard is on a distinguished road
Yes I tend to shoot a bit low and to the right, when I am able to get a decent group. Still need more trigger time before I start getting consistent groups. So far I find the LCR very comfortable to shoot, but then I have not put any factory .357 loads through it yet.
tgwillard is offline  
Old January 21st, 2012, 04:30 PM   #15
with Butter & Jelly
 
WhiteBreadLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Northern Carolina
Posts: 830
WhiteBreadLife is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirfry View Post
no... it's stainless steel, as mentioned above.

if you look at the specs, the .357 is a little heavier. that's why.
it's still lighter than you average .357, and it has the outstanding LCR trigger...
Yea it knew it was 3 Ozs heavier than the 38 but for some reason though it was aluminum. Love mine either way. Cost me 30 more bones than the 38 version and I got 2 guns in one.
WhiteBreadLife is offline  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Ruger Double Action



Search tags for this page
colt klcr 357
,

klcr

,

klcr 357

,
klcr ammo
,

klcr-357

,
klcr-357 sights
,
ruger 357 klcr
,

ruger klcr

,

ruger klcr forum

,
ruger klcr-357
,
turner's guns klcr
,
used klcr
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Broken KLCR tom29786 Range Reports 22 July 25th, 2013 08:58 AM
Bought a KLCR Chief_10Beers Ruger Double Action 6 February 25th, 2012 02:36 AM
Klcr .357 GtBob Ruger Double Action 6 November 7th, 2011 04:43 AM
KLCR shootin low !! rschlos Ruger Double Action 7 July 22nd, 2011 09:00 AM
Pull the trigger on KLCR 357 454alaskan Ruger Double Action 12 April 27th, 2011 03:45 AM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List  
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2014 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.