f> Cylinder questions about GP-100 - Ruger Forum

Ruger Forum

Cylinder questions about GP-100

This is a discussion on Cylinder questions about GP-100 within the Ruger Double Action forums, part of the Pistol & Revolver Forum category; Hello, I have some questions about my GP-100, that I can't find answers to online, so I'm hoping someone here will know. 1. Is the ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Ruger Double Action

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old May 18th, 2017, 11:13 AM   #1
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ok
Posts: 11
cayton is on a distinguished road
Cylinder questions about GP-100

Hello, I have some questions about my GP-100, that I can't find answers to online, so I'm hoping someone here will know.

1. Is the cylinder on a GP-100 tuned or fitted in some way when installed? Could I purchase or swap a cylinder from a different GP-100 without issue?

2. I understand that the Super Redhawk and GP-100 share a lot of parts. I know the Redhawk has a bigger frame, but does it use the same cylinder?

I really like the look of the unfluted cylinders that come on the super Redhawk, and now they have an 8-shot version in .357 Magnum. My dream revolver would be a 4 or 6 inch barreled GP-100 with an 8-shot, unfluted cylinder. I'm pretty sure it's not possible, but I'd like to know why. Can anyone dash my hopes and dreams?



cayton is offline  
Advertisements
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:15 AM   #2
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ok
Posts: 11
cayton is on a distinguished road
Follow up question:

Does anyone make G10 grips for the GP-100?
cayton is offline  
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:41 AM   #3
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 12
Bullets n BBQ is on a distinguished road
The Redhawk definitely has a larger cylinder than the GP100, this is why it is capable of accommodating 8 .357 chambers, while the GP100 has 6.

As for swapping cylinders between GP100's, I think that is possible.
Bullets n BBQ is offline  
 
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:45 AM   #4
 
gqucool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 8,080
gqucool is just really nicegqucool is just really nicegqucool is just really nicegqucool is just really nicegqucool is just really nice
No the cylinders aren't the same size. If you want a 8 shot Ruger .357 get the 2.75 inch Redhawks. Or a S&W N frame 8 shot or 686 Plus 7 shot .357.
gqucool is offline  
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:47 AM   #5
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ok
Posts: 11
cayton is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the quick replies. Does anyone sell an unfluted cylinder for the GP-100 (in .357), even if it's still only 6 shots?

Still no luck finding G10 grips either.
cayton is offline  
Old May 18th, 2017, 03:48 PM   #6
Moderator
 
Waveform's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,504
Waveform is a splendid one to beholdWaveform is a splendid one to beholdWaveform is a splendid one to beholdWaveform is a splendid one to beholdWaveform is a splendid one to beholdWaveform is a splendid one to beholdWaveform is a splendid one to beholdWaveform is a splendid one to behold
Ruger doesn't sell cylinders but sometimes you can find a take off cylinder from sources like Numerich or on eBay. Chances of getting an unfluted cylinder will be pretty small. The only unfluted GP100 I can recall is the Model 1759, the TALO exclusive with a 6" barrel and wood Hogue grip. Probably about as close to your "dream GP" as you're gonna get.


Ruger® GP100® Standard Double-Action Revolver Model 1759
Waveform is offline  
Old May 18th, 2017, 03:52 PM   #7
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,142
Petrol and Powder has a spectacular aura aboutPetrol and Powder has a spectacular aura about
Why would you want an unfluted cylinder? The GP-100 isn't heavy enough in its original configuration ?

As for swapping cylinders, you can usually get away with that if you re-use the old extractor but that doesn't mean you will always get away with swapping cylinders. You need to verify the: timing, the barrel to chamber alignment (requires a range rod) and the barrel to cylinder gap. Correcting those issues if they need to be corrected is not something for the kitchen table gunsmith.

Just removing the extractor from the cylinder on GP-100 requires a special screwdriver bit.

I agree with gqucool - if you want a 7 or 8 shot 357, get a S&W.
Petrol and Powder is offline  
Old May 18th, 2017, 03:56 PM   #8
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: wayne nj
Posts: 23,601
bwinters is a name known to allbwinters is a name known to allbwinters is a name known to allbwinters is a name known to allbwinters is a name known to allbwinters is a name known to all
There are several companies that make custom cylinders but expect to pay 800 or more.
bwinters is offline  
Old May 18th, 2017, 04:02 PM   #9
 
Rover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,431
Rover is on a distinguished road
The cylinder on the GP is about 1.55" in diameter and a Redhawk/Super Redhawk cylinder 1.76" diameter. In addition, the RH/SRH cylinder is longer. As the cylinder diameter of the GP is very close to a S&W 686 7 shot Ruger, if they were inclined, could probably offer a 7 shot .357 GP but have not! The S&W N frame has a cylinder diameter of 1.68" that takes 8 shots so one could not fit an eight shot cylinder to the GP. In addition, the cylinder axis to bore center of the barrel is greater on a N frame or RH/SRH compared to a GP.

As noted above at one time Ruger made a 6" GP with unfluted cylinder. There were not many produced so the chances of finding a takeoff are very slim. Currently, Gary Reeder makes custom cylinders for some of his GP conversions. At one time Dave Clements also made some cylinders for some caliber conversions and I imagine Bowen has made or could make a cylinder.

Swapping cylinders can be a roll of the dice. As noted above one must consider timing of each chamber to line up with the bore, the barrel/cylinder gap and headspace. Sometimes one gets lucky and one will drop in and work and sometimes not.

Last edited by Rover; May 18th, 2017 at 04:05 PM.
Rover is offline  
Old May 18th, 2017, 04:19 PM   #10
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ok
Posts: 11
cayton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol and Powder View Post
Why would you want an unfluted cylinder? The GP-100 isn't heavy enough in its original configuration ?

As for swapping cylinders, you can usually get away with that if you re-use the old extractor but that doesn't mean you will always get away with swapping cylinders. You need to verify the: timing, the barrel to chamber alignment (requires a range rod) and the barrel to cylinder gap. Correcting those issues if they need to be corrected is not something for the kitchen table gunsmith.

Just removing the extractor from the cylinder on GP-100 requires a special screwdriver bit.

I agree with gqucool - if you want a 7 or 8 shot 357, get a S&W.
No good reason other than visual preference...
cayton is offline  
Old May 18th, 2017, 04:20 PM   #11
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ok
Posts: 11
cayton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinters View Post
There are several companies that make custom cylinders but expect to pay 800 or more.
What companies make custom ones (I couldn't find any).
cayton is offline  
Old May 18th, 2017, 04:26 PM   #12
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ok
Posts: 11
cayton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
The cylinder on the GP is about 1.55" in diameter and a Redhawk/Super Redhawk cylinder 1.76" diameter. In addition, the RH/SRH cylinder is longer. As the cylinder diameter of the GP is very close to a S&W 686 7 shot Ruger, if they were inclined, could probably offer a 7 shot .357 GP but have not! The S&W N frame has a cylinder diameter of 1.68" that takes 8 shots so one could not fit an eight shot cylinder to the GP. In addition, the cylinder axis to bore center of the barrel is greater on a N frame or RH/SRH compared to a GP.

As noted above at one time Ruger made a 6" GP with unfluted cylinder. There were not many produced so the chances of finding a takeoff are very slim. Currently, Gary Reeder makes custom cylinders for some of his GP conversions. At one time Dave Clements also made some cylinders for some caliber conversions and I imagine Bowen has made or could make a cylinder.

Swapping cylinders can be a roll of the dice. As noted above one must consider timing of each chamber to line up with the bore, the barrel/cylinder gap and headspace. Sometimes one gets lucky and one will drop in and work and sometimes not.
Great information, thank you (and others)
cayton is offline  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Ruger Double Action

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8 shot cylinder in a six shooter questions Gabby Ruger Single Action 6 November 23rd, 2015 08:15 PM
Questions about Leading on my GP 100 Cylinder Fatty Lumpkin Ruger Double Action 1 September 23rd, 2014 10:23 AM
Cylinder and trigger swap questions baydog14 Gunsmithing 2 February 17th, 2013 09:14 AM
blackhawk cylinder questions dad98684 Ruger Single Action 12 February 8th, 2013 08:01 AM
looking for a used GP-100 and have some questions BK Meyers Ruger Double Action 7 October 29th, 2011 02:01 PM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.