f> Problem with sp101 - Page 2 - Ruger Forum

Ruger Forum

Problem with sp101

This is a discussion on Problem with sp101 within the Ruger Double Action forums, part of the Pistol & Revolver Forum category; Originally Posted by Doeysdad RockDoctor and Roche, sorry was reading this from my phone as computer was on the fritz, so this is normal and ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Ruger Double Action

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old April 15th, 2017, 10:21 AM   #16
 
Roche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: off line
Posts: 143
Roche is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doeysdad View Post
RockDoctor and Roche, sorry was reading this from my phone as computer was on the fritz, so this is normal and I am understanding the sequence and purpose of events you have laid out. I also checked it fot timing which seems to be fine. Now all that being said I still can not get my GP100 to do it. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
My experience is it can happen if you 'play' with the trigger on the SP101 so I no longer 'play' with the trigger. Never could do it with the GP100.



Roche is offline  
Advertisements
Old April 15th, 2017, 10:41 AM   #17
 
Bepe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: TWILIGHT ZONE
Posts: 305
Bepe is on a distinguished road
I have 3 SP101's. Just went to the safe and tried all three. Partially pulled the trigger until the cylinder stop released and the cylinder spun halfway. Released the trigger. Hammer went back to rest. Second pull of the trigger reengaged the hand spinning the cylinder to the next chamber and locked. Hammer fell onto the snap cap. Proper revolver operation.

Should hold true to any revolver.
Bepe is offline  
Old April 15th, 2017, 04:47 PM   #18
 
Spiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 724
Spiff is on a distinguished road
Is the trigger resetting fully? My SP101 WC had a burr in the trigger return channel that would cause it to hang slightly when resetting, and it might not take much to keep it from functioning properly.
Spiff is offline  
 
Old April 17th, 2017, 06:57 AM   #19
 
Hark1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Springfield
Posts: 3
Hark1980 is on a distinguished road
I've noticed the same with my brand new SP101 3" (also less than 100 rounds) & what Argee1950 said is correct. I'm far from an expert, but watching the mechanics, it's easy to see what is happening
Hark1980 is offline  
Old April 17th, 2017, 08:00 AM   #20
 
Bepe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: TWILIGHT ZONE
Posts: 305
Bepe is on a distinguished road
Let's see. The revolver was carried by police and used for defense by citizens for decades prior to the inception of the semi auto. We'll play out this scenario....

Copper has a bad guy at gun point with a use of deadly force situation present. (bad guy has a knife and is advancing toward him) The copper starts a trigger pull rotating the cylinder half way and suddenly the bad guy complies and drops the knife. The copper deescalates and stops his trigger pull. The bad guy then changes his mind, grabs the knife and charges the copper.

Now according to the misinformed, the copper would then have to ask the bad guy "can you hold on a minute while I manually rotate my cylinder to the next stop notch so I can shoot". Manually do so and then attempt another trigger pull. WRONG. Pull the trigger again and the revolver will fire.

I have 10 revolvers in my safe (including 3 SP101's) and all of them operate as I described in an earlier post.

If all new SP101 require a manual turn of the cylinder on a repull then Ruger is marketing a defective product that should NOT be used for self defense.

The OP has a defective gun and if your gun operates as the OP's then yours is defective also. About all I'm going to say on this matter.
Bepe

Last edited by Bepe; April 17th, 2017 at 08:23 AM.
Bepe is offline  
Old April 17th, 2017, 08:05 AM   #21
 
jalopiejoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cave Creek, Arizona
Posts: 122
jalopiejoe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bepe View Post
Let's see. The revolver was carried by police and used for defense by citizens for decades prior to the inception of the semi auto. We'll play out this scenario....

Copper has a bad guy at gun point with a use of deadly force situation present. (bad guy has a knife and is advancing toward him) The copper starts a trigger pull rotating the cylinder half way and suddenly the bad guy complies and drops the knife. The copper deescalates and stops his trigger pull. The bad guy then changes his mind, grabs the knife and charges the copper.

Now according to the misinformed, the copper would then have to ask the bad guy "can you hold on a minute while I manually rotate my cylinder to the next stop notch so I can shoot". Manually do so and then attempt another trigger pull. WRONG. Pull the trigger again and the revolver will fire.

I have 10 revolvers in my safe and all of them operate as I described in an earlier post.

If all new SP101 require a manual turn of the cylinder on a repull then Ruger is marketing a defective product that should not be used for self defense.

The OP has a defective gun and if your gun operates as the OP's then yours is defective also. About all I'm going to say on this matter.
Bepe
Well said Bebe!
jalopiejoe is offline  
Old April 17th, 2017, 08:14 AM   #22
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Montana
Posts: 61
MontanaSixShooter is on a distinguished road
I have to agree with Bepe. I took out my SP101 and tried multiple times to recreate the scenario explained by the OP and I could not do so. Something's obviously wrong with the OP's revolver. I'm sure Ruger CS will get it squared away.
MontanaSixShooter is offline  
Old April 17th, 2017, 09:41 AM   #23
 
Doeysdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 30
Doeysdad is on a distinguished road
Talked to Ruger CS this morning. The gun should not be doing this. So off to Ruger it goes. The woman I spoke to, actually tried to get one to do this and could not. I will keep you all updated of further developments
Doeysdad is offline  
Old April 17th, 2017, 11:05 AM   #24
 
Bepe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: TWILIGHT ZONE
Posts: 305
Bepe is on a distinguished road
Good decision calling Ruger. They are the pros. Ruger has a quick turn around time and I'll bet you have it back in a week or two. Keep us filled in.
Bepe
Bepe is offline  
Old April 17th, 2017, 01:10 PM   #25
 
Argee1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 877
Argee1950 has a spectacular aura aboutArgee1950 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doeysdad View Post
Talked to Ruger CS this morning. The gun should not be doing this. So off to Ruger it goes. The woman I spoke to, actually tried to get one to do this and could not. I will keep you all updated of further developments
I guess I didn't fully understand the problem and called it wrong. I sat here this morning with my SP101 and my LCR to try to duplicate what yours was doing. I could not. I'm glad you contacted Ruger and are getting it repaired.
Argee1950 is offline  
Old April 18th, 2017, 01:30 AM   #26
 
Bepe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: TWILIGHT ZONE
Posts: 305
Bepe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee1950 View Post
I guess I didn't fully understand the problem and called it wrong. I sat here this morning with my SP101 and my LCR to try to duplicate what yours was doing. I could not. I'm glad you contacted Ruger and are getting it repaired.
No disrespect meant to you Agree or others on my rants. The partial trigger pull is a situation that is most likely NEVER encountered by average revolver shooters. I read the thread and not wanting to start a confrontation I was not going to post. It was gnawing at me and I figured if we could educate some members on revolver operation then it was a win. Hopefully some members have benefitted.
Regards Bepe
Bepe is offline  
Old April 18th, 2017, 04:56 AM   #27
 
Argee1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 877
Argee1950 has a spectacular aura aboutArgee1950 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bepe View Post
No disrespect meant to you Agree or others on my rants. The partial trigger pull is a situation that is most likely NEVER encountered by average revolver shooters. I read the thread and not wanting to start a confrontation I was not going to post. It was gnawing at me and I figured if we could educate some members on revolver operation then it was a win. Hopefully some members have benefitted.
Regards Bepe
None taken Bepe! I learned something. Every day I can learn something new is a good day. That's what I like about this forum... people helping others.
Argee1950 is offline  
Old May 1st, 2017, 10:54 AM   #28
 
Doeysdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 30
Doeysdad is on a distinguished road
I got the SP101 back from Ruger today. On the packing slip it says new mainspring, trigger return spring, hammer trigger, pawl, trigger plunger, adjusted timing. They spoke to my FFL and told him gun was out of specs. I had tolf them that i had changed the the springs for custom springs from Wollf. They told him problem was probably because I had changed out springs. Not sure if I buy that.
Doeysdad is offline  
Old May 1st, 2017, 12:44 PM   #29
 
Argee1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 877
Argee1950 has a spectacular aura aboutArgee1950 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doeysdad View Post
I got the SP101 back from Ruger today. On the packing slip it says new mainspring, trigger return spring, hammer trigger, pawl, trigger plunger, adjusted timing. They spoke to my FFL and told him gun was out of specs. I had tolf them that i had changed the the springs for custom springs from Wollf. They told him problem was probably because I had changed out springs. Not sure if I buy that.
Glad you got it back and it is in working order. Did you change the springs back to the originals before you sent it back? If so and they were the culprits that would have corrected the problem right then. They adjusted the timing...maybe that was the issue.
Argee1950 is offline  
Old May 1st, 2017, 04:45 PM   #30
 
Doeysdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 30
Doeysdad is on a distinguished road
I sent it back with custom springs installed and they were aware of this. However it was doing the same thing with the factory springs as I had put them back in thinking that was the problem.
Doeysdad is offline  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Ruger Double Action


Search tags for this page

sp101 ruger problems

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SP101 Problem KitATX Ruger Double Action 11 October 1st, 2015 06:10 PM
Problem with my SP101 CharlesSummers Ruger Double Action 14 February 18th, 2014 09:01 PM
Problem with sp101 Doeysdad Ruger Double Action 4 February 5th, 2011 02:13 PM
SP101 Problem??? powwowell Ruger Double Action 8 June 27th, 2010 02:15 AM
Problem with SP101 bigwebbchile Ruger Double Action 6 February 1st, 2010 05:47 PM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.