f> You can only have one. - Page 3 - Ruger Forum

Ruger Forum

You can only have one.

This is a discussion on You can only have one. within the Ruger Double Action forums, part of the Pistol & Revolver Forum category; Originally Posted by ifithitu If you could only have one of these revolvers,which one would you pick to own and why? Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Ruger Double Action

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old March 22nd, 2017, 04:21 PM   #31
 
paulkalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: everett wa
Posts: 1,249
paulkalman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifithitu View Post
If you could only have one of these revolvers,which one would you pick to own and why?
Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum 4"
Ruger GP 100 .357 Magnum MC 4"
Ruger SP 101 .357 Magnum 3"

Oh, heck, I'd take the gp100 .357 Mag,MC 4" any day! great pistola.



paulkalman is online now  
Advertisements
Old March 22nd, 2017, 04:40 PM   #32
 
ifithitu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Derby City,Ky.
Posts: 3,471
ifithitu will become famous soon enoughifithitu will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
^^^ Then it does not matter.
Truth, I do see your point,I do own all three!
ifithitu is online now  
Old March 22nd, 2017, 05:03 PM   #33
 
SafetyFirst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,898
SafetyFirst is on a distinguished road
Would select the GP 100 for its versatility in a Great Package. However, really no bad choice between the three.
SafetyFirst is offline  
 
Old March 23rd, 2017, 05:00 AM   #34
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,247
Petrol and Powder has a spectacular aura aboutPetrol and Powder has a spectacular aura about
All 3 are excellent guns and each one has strength.

If concealment/carry is part of the equation, the SP101 is the winner and gives up very little to the GP-100. However, for overall versatility, a 4" DA 38/357 is really hard to beat.

From a handloaders perspective, the 44 will consume more lead & powder than the .357.
38/357 brass is also a little easier to come by. If you're already loading another cartridge that uses a small pistol primer, the 38/357 shares that same small pistol primer.

From a packing perspective, you can carry more rounds per pound with the 38/357 than you can with the 44.
Petrol and Powder is online now  
Old March 23rd, 2017, 06:16 PM   #35
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: US
Posts: 26
Lakehouse2012 is on a distinguished road
I own 2 of them, the 44 with a 7.5" and the GP100 357 with 3" and i will say i couldn't choose, they both are awesome.....
Lakehouse2012 is offline  
Old March 23rd, 2017, 07:00 PM   #36
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 116
Red Dirt Dave is on a distinguished road
The .44 Redhawk can be loaded up or loaded down to suit the situation. A man of reasonable contrivance can find a way to concealed carry it. I have done so with a 5.5" Redhawk. in .45 Colt.
Red Dirt Dave is offline  
Old March 23rd, 2017, 07:02 PM   #37
 
Tinman883's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Erie Pa
Posts: 65
Tinman883 is on a distinguished road
A .357 magnum truly is a do it all gun, and the GP100 is one of the best examples.
Tinman883 is offline  
Old March 24th, 2017, 04:55 AM   #38
 
Ziggidy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 914
Ziggidy has a spectacular aura aboutZiggidy has a spectacular aura aboutZiggidy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyFirst View Post
Would select the GP 100 for its versatility in a Great Package. However, really no bad choice between the three.
It's a bad choice when you realize you should have gotten the GP100......
Ziggidy is offline  
Old March 24th, 2017, 07:42 AM   #39
 
mg357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: washington illinois
Posts: 119
mg357 is on a distinguished road
I would chose the Ruger SP 101 .357 Magnum 3".

I already own a Ruger sp101 chambered in .357 magnum with the 2.25 inch barrel.

So the 3 inch barrel version would be a nice compliment to it.
mg357 is offline  
Old March 24th, 2017, 09:50 AM   #40
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Montana
Posts: 75
MontanaSixShooter is on a distinguished road
There really is no wrong answer, any of the three are excellent options. What is your intended usage for the gun? Answer that question and then your selection should become more obvious.

I just recently entered the wonderful world of Ruger revolvers and I started off with a .357 3" SP101 because it perfectly fit the criteria and versatility I was looking for in a gun. Easy to carry concealed, fits in my glove box/nightstand, small enough for my wife to handle.

I'm currently in the market for a good deal on a used 6" GP100, not because it's any better than the SP101 but because it's a different gun and I will have other uses for it, primarily a range toy and woods carry gun.
MontanaSixShooter is offline  
Old March 24th, 2017, 12:46 PM   #41
 
firemanjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Florida & NC
Posts: 2,311
firemanjones is on a distinguished road
Well I have the 3" and 5" so I will say the GP.
firemanjones is offline  
Old March 24th, 2017, 09:21 PM   #42
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N. Calif
Posts: 2,581
firescout will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaSixShooter View Post
There really is no wrong answer, any of the three are excellent options. What is your intended usage for the gun? Answer that question and then your selection should become more obvious...
???
firescout is offline  
Old March 25th, 2017, 02:48 AM   #43
 
Bobberfishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Winter Haven, FL
Posts: 750
Bobberfishin is on a distinguished road
GP100 hands down......very manageable & shoots .357 mag & .38 special, which makes it a little more affordable to fire.
Any revolver is a fun time, all 3 are quality firearms.
I guess it depends what you're looking to do with it.
Self defense carry, home defense, or making a "Big Bang" at the range
Sp101 GP100 Redhawk
Bobberfishin is offline  
Old March 25th, 2017, 04:38 AM   #44
 
Prisoner6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NEPA
Posts: 28
Prisoner6 is on a distinguished road
I can only speak to my personal needs ... CCW, range/training, and hiking/outdoors. Thinking with my heart, I would opt for the 4" Redhawk as I thoroughly enjoy the .44 Special and am comfortable carrying the big gun. That said, thinking with my brain, the GP100 would be the most practical choice for my stated needs. I would not consider the SP.
Prisoner6 is offline  
Old March 30th, 2017, 12:55 AM   #45
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 36
Sicamosley is on a distinguished road
No snubbie SP101?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sicamosley is online now  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Ruger Double Action

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Top Gun Sites Top Sites List
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.