f> New Alaskan Hand Cannon - Ruger Forum

Ruger Forum

New Alaskan Hand Cannon

This is a discussion on New Alaskan Hand Cannon within the Ruger Double Action forums, part of the Pistol & Revolver Forum category; I just picked up an Alaskan in .454 Casull. One impressive weapon with one exception. I have one cylinder that binds occasionally when the hammer ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Ruger Double Action

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old June 20th, 2015, 10:49 AM   #1
 
palabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SW PA
Posts: 367
palabman is on a distinguished road
New Alaskan Hand Cannon

I just picked up an Alaskan in .454 Casull. One impressive weapon with one exception. I have one cylinder that binds occasionally when the hammer is cocked in SA or the trigger is pulled in DA. It looks like the cylinder barrel gap may be a bit close at the top on a couple of the cylinders and there is a bit of cylinder rub in that area of the cylinder. I have been dry firing with snap caps and it seems to have loosened up a bit but the rub on the cylinder has me worried so it may have to take a trip back to Ruger.

Now on the the range report. Having never shot the .454 I loaded up some starting loads with 300 gr Hornady XTP MAG bullets and 27.1 gr Win 296 (starting loads in Lyman 49) Some of the other manuals had higher starting loads but I thought this was a good place to start for pressure checks and such. I only loaded 6, 3 with Remington 7 1/2 benchrest primers and 3 with Tula SRM primers. Man that revolver shoots like a dream. My Contender in .44 Magnum kicks more. I'll have to bump up the powder charge and get the chrony out later this summer to find a good compromise in recoil and speed.

Here is the revolver:



6 shots at about 7 yards. 1st shot is the high one. My bad on the SA trigger:




palabman is offline  
Advertisements
Old June 20th, 2015, 10:52 AM   #2
Moderator
 
Waveform's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,506
Waveform is a splendid one to beholdWaveform is a splendid one to beholdWaveform is a splendid one to beholdWaveform is a splendid one to beholdWaveform is a splendid one to beholdWaveform is a splendid one to beholdWaveform is a splendid one to beholdWaveform is a splendid one to behold
Nice! Congratulations on your Alaskan. Sounds like you have some good fun planned for the summer.
Waveform is offline  
Old June 20th, 2015, 10:59 AM   #3
The Fresh Prince
 
Neon Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Moonshine, TN
Posts: 19,799
Neon Horse is a splendid one to beholdNeon Horse is a splendid one to beholdNeon Horse is a splendid one to beholdNeon Horse is a splendid one to beholdNeon Horse is a splendid one to beholdNeon Horse is a splendid one to beholdNeon Horse is a splendid one to behold
Those are cool revolvers. 454 ought to be fun. Nice shooting!
Neon Horse is online now  
 
Old June 21st, 2015, 07:06 AM   #4
 
fungun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norcal
Posts: 12,851
fungun is a splendid one to beholdfungun is a splendid one to beholdfungun is a splendid one to beholdfungun is a splendid one to beholdfungun is a splendid one to beholdfungun is a splendid one to behold
Gotta love a 454 Alaskan
fungun is offline  
Old June 21st, 2015, 07:13 AM   #5
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 350
JBnTx is on a distinguished road
Try 28.0grs of H-110/296 and the Cast Performance 300gr LFNGC bullet.
They are hard cast lead with a gas check, so you can drive them fast and they won't lead your barrel. They're also cheaper than those Hornady XTP-MAG bullets.

28.0grs is at the lower end of most 454 Casull load data, but ignition is good and recoil is manageable.
Just be sure you have a good firm crimp on the cases.

At 26.5grs I got bad ignition and stuck a bullet in the barrel, so you should definitely increase your powder charge.
I use 28.0grs, with Winchester small rifle primers, in my Super Redhawk with 7.5 inch barrel. I can get one hole groups at 25yds.

Also, your Alaskan will love the Ruger Only 45 Colt loads. Low recoil and extremely accurate.
You've got a very versatile and extremely accurate revolver that can handle everything from Cowboy 45 Colt loads up to the earth shaking 454 Casull loads.

.

Last edited by JBnTx; June 21st, 2015 at 07:20 AM.
JBnTx is offline  
Old June 21st, 2015, 09:43 AM   #6
 
palabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SW PA
Posts: 367
palabman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTx View Post
Try 28.0grs of H-110/296 and the Cast Performance 300gr LFNGC bullet.
They are hard cast lead with a gas check, so you can drive them fast and they won't lead your barrel. They're also cheaper than those Hornady XTP-MAG bullets.

28.0grs is at the lower end of most 454 Casull load data, but ignition is good and recoil is manageable.
Just be sure you have a good firm crimp on the cases.

At 26.5grs I got bad ignition and stuck a bullet in the barrel, so you should definitely increase your powder charge.
I use 28.0grs, with Winchester small rifle primers, in my Super Redhawk with 7.5 inch barrel. I can get one hole groups at 25yds.

Also, your Alaskan will love the Ruger Only 45 Colt loads. Low recoil and extremely accurate.
You've got a very versatile and extremely accurate revolver that can handle everything from Cowboy 45 Colt loads up to the earth shaking 454 Casull loads.

.
Thanks JB. Are these the boolits you're talking about (from Beartooth site):

https://beartoothbullets.com/bullets...ails.php?id=63

I'm going to load another batch and was going to start at 28.0 gr. 27.1 was a little mild. I had no ignition problems though.
palabman is offline  
Old June 21st, 2015, 09:56 AM   #7
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: The Old Dominion
Posts: 1,377
aurora40 has a spectacular aura aboutaurora40 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by palabman View Post
Thanks JB. Are these the boolits you're talking about (from Beartooth site):

https://beartoothbullets.com/bullets...ails.php?id=63

I'm going to load another batch and was going to start at 28.0 gr. 27.1 was a little mild. I had no ignition problems though.
Cast Performance is the brand name:

Cast Performance Bullets 45 Cal (452 Diameter) 300 Grain Lead Long

They are on clearance if you act fast ($138 for 500 without shipping)
aurora40 is offline  
Old June 21st, 2015, 10:35 AM   #8
 
palabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SW PA
Posts: 367
palabman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora40 View Post
Cast Performance is the brand name:

Cast Performance Bullets 45 Cal (452 Diameter) 300 Grain Lead Long

They are on clearance if you act fast ($138 for 500 without shipping)
Got em. Thanks.
palabman is offline  
Old June 21st, 2015, 12:30 PM   #9
 
MisterMills357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
Posts: 521
MisterMills357 is on a distinguished road
I hope that the cylinder binding will get worked out. The Alaskan is my idea of a dream gun, the .454 Casull is a hard hitting round, and I remember when it was a wildcat.
MisterMills357 is offline  
Old June 21st, 2015, 12:59 PM   #10
 
Amishman44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hoosierville, USA
Posts: 4,550
Amishman44 is a jewel in the roughAmishman44 is a jewel in the roughAmishman44 is a jewel in the roughAmishman44 is a jewel in the rough
The .454 Casull version is nice because you can also shoot .45 Colt through it! I've come to love that round after getting an Alaskan!

Littlestone's has a fairly decent 'middle-of-the-road' round with their 240 grain JHP .45 Colt +P round... .45 Colt +P, 240-Grain Hornady XTP-MAG, Box of 20
Amishman44 is offline  
Old June 21st, 2015, 04:30 PM   #11
 
palabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SW PA
Posts: 367
palabman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMills357 View Post
I hope that the cylinder binding will get worked out. The Alaskan is my idea of a dream gun, the .454 Casull is a hard hitting round, and I remember when it was a wildcat.
I does get a 10 on the "coolness" factor, doesn't it? I'm not too worried about the binding. I'm sure Ruger will fix it for me.
palabman is offline  
Old June 21st, 2015, 04:32 PM   #12
 
palabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SW PA
Posts: 367
palabman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amishman44 View Post
The .454 Casull version is nice because you can also shoot .45 Colt through it! I've come to love that round after getting an Alaskan!

Littlestone's has a fairly decent 'middle-of-the-road' round with their 240 grain JHP .45 Colt +P round... .45 Colt +P, 240-Grain Hornady XTP-MAG, Box of 20
That was definitely a factor when I decided on the .454.
palabman is offline  
Old June 21st, 2015, 05:16 PM   #13
 
elchivato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PRK
Posts: 445
elchivato is on a distinguished road
That gun just oozes testosterone!
elchivato is offline  
Old June 21st, 2015, 05:38 PM   #14
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: wayne nj
Posts: 23,622
bwinters is a name known to allbwinters is a name known to allbwinters is a name known to allbwinters is a name known to allbwinters is a name known to allbwinters is a name known to all
I love the Alaskan especially in 454. If the opponent is close and you fire a heavy load you may burn them to death.
bwinters is offline  
Old June 21st, 2015, 05:45 PM   #15
ozo
 
ozo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 304
ozo is on a distinguished road
Mine also will bind on one cylinder.....but ONLY if I heat it up really hot.
Usually on the third cylinder full of heavy .454 shooting as fast as possible
then reload......but never cold, or shooting normal.
I would let Ruger take care of it. It is my go-to side arm for bear country [AK]
I also have a Smith 460XVR that I load hot, never a glitch, but normally it is on
the handlebar holster on an ATV, yet I occasionally carry it in a Roscoe holster.
My first one was a .44magnum....what a sweet little shooter, but the wife wanted
it to carry, so I was 'forced' to get another, and got the .454, glad I did.
The Ruger only .45colt loads are incredible.....light recoil and accurate.
For an easy to carry large caliber with some teeth to it.....I don't know
of any rival. I usually carry it in a JR Roscoe holster, even down here at the
TN home, and sometimes as an EDC. Also check out Penn Bullets INC. | Custom Cast Bullets
Bob is an old friend, his bullets and lube are superior, and he will answer your
questions.....online or on the phone personally. Been shooting his stuff for 20+yrs.
Great choice on the little shooter.... 5 stars for sure.
ozo is offline  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Ruger Double Action


Search tags for this page

fungun

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Hand Cannon fans here? Moxie Pistols & Revolvers 38 August 30th, 2013 11:43 PM
New hand cannon Lefty Ruger Double Action 7 December 21st, 2011 01:30 PM
New S&W Hand Cannon LJenkMD Gun Gallery 24 April 22nd, 2011 09:07 PM
New hand cannon (alaskan) caryg Ruger Double Action 18 September 16th, 2010 04:14 AM
Hand Cannon Canaris Gun Gallery 7 February 23rd, 2010 03:16 AM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.