Here are some shots of the practice stock I worked over.
This is the problem I had with the issued Ruger stock. Ruger should be ashamed to send out a stock that fits like this. It is a disgrace to Ruger. The replacement stock had the same problem fit. I worked on the replacement stock first for practice as I like the wood appearance of the original stock better. The replacement stock came with the stock AR grip.
First, I marked the stock with an extra fine marker to see how much the stock was above the receiver.
Then I filed down to the marked line and smoothed out the filing area. I then used the Minwax satin polyurethane to coat the area. I noticed that the Minwax had a different appearance than the Ruger finish so I lightly sanded the stock (both pieces) and put a thin coat on it.
This is how it came out. It's better than the issue stock from Ruger. I should probably go a little lower.
The Minwax made the stock come alive. It looks much better that the Ruger finish. The Ruger finish is on the bottom and the Minwax is on top.
I did not have to use any stain on the stock. Everything matched up very good. I like this. Next I'll do the other stock and match the receiver/stock better.