Ruger Forum

M77 MkII..best grouping ammo for.243/.270/30.06/300Winmag

This is a discussion on M77 MkII..best grouping ammo for.243/.270/30.06/300Winmag within the Ruger Bolt Action forums, part of the Rifle & Shotgun Forum category; I have all four guns but, have pretty much just used the CoreLokts. Used the 30.06 in a 165gr last week to punch a hole ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Rifle & Shotgun Forum > Ruger Bolt Action

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old November 1st, 2011, 09:34 AM   #1
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: IDAHO
Posts: 21
Wicky is on a distinguished road
M77 MkII..best grouping ammo for.243/.270/30.06/300Winmag

I have all four guns but, have pretty much just used the CoreLokts.
Used the 30.06 in a 165gr last week to punch a hole through a deer at 100yds. Exit wound was as big as a beer can and I literally shot the heart out of it. Amazingly enough, the deer still ran almost 100yds after the shot. Anyway, just wondering what ammo you guys have found to be most consistent in any four of these calibers. A man can spend a lot of money figuring out which ammo is best. Thought I'd try to narrow it down.
I'm currently shooting 100gr in the .243. 150gr in the .270. 165gr in the 30.06. 180gr in the 300winmag. These all seem to do the job pretty well but, just wondering if you guys have any favorites.
Thanks,
Wicky



Wicky is offline  
Advertisements
Old November 2nd, 2011, 09:35 PM   #2
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: IDAHO
Posts: 21
Wicky is on a distinguished road
Hello? Anybody own a Ruger M77 MkII and shoot bullets here in the bolt section or, am I the only one?
Wicky is offline  
Old November 3rd, 2011, 07:37 AM   #3
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Boise,Idaho
Posts: 132
Tork is on a distinguished road
Wicky,
I won't be much help to you but I would be interested in the accuracy you are getting with your 243. I inherited a M77 MII in 243 from my father-in-law this year. It has what I believe is called the boat paddle stock as I see you have two with the same stock. The gun has a Leapold scope with the Ruger rings. Along with the gun came close to 800 rounds of factory and reloaded ammo that he did himself and I trust his work. I've been working my way through the ammo that came with the gun but as of yet have not found any combination that I would call accurate for a 243 at 100 yds. I've been working with the 80 and 100 grain loads that came with the gun. Does your 243 have the same stock as mine? What are some of your best groups with it? Thanks for your help.
Cary
Tork is offline  
Old November 3rd, 2011, 07:58 AM   #4
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 313
M Phil is on a distinguished road
Sorry can't help with your M77's. My only 77's are a .22LR and a .17HM2. My '06 is a Winchester my .243 a Remington. I don't own a .270, It is to close to the '06 and don't see the point of having both. My .22 loves most anything made by Eley. The .17 likes Eley and Remington (Eley Primed) but loves Hornady. The '06 Winnie likes anything over 150 grains but loves 165 gr Corlokt and 165gr Nosler accutip.
M Phil is offline  
Old November 3rd, 2011, 09:00 AM   #5
 
Ruger Redhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 7,274
Ruger Redhawk will become famous soon enough
People can just tell you what their rifles like which means very little. No two rifles are the same. Mine might like Federal and yours won't. Actually I've had pretty good luck using Remington Core Lokts in some of my M-77's. It boils down to trial and error.
Ruger Redhawk is offline  
Old November 5th, 2011, 09:04 AM   #6
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: IDAHO
Posts: 21
Wicky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork View Post
Wicky,
I won't be much help to you but I would be interested in the accuracy you are getting with your 243. I inherited a M77 MII in 243 from my father-in-law this year. It has what I believe is called the boat paddle stock as I see you have two with the same stock. The gun has a Leapold scope with the Ruger rings. Along with the gun came close to 800 rounds of factory and reloaded ammo that he did himself and I trust his work. I've been working my way through the ammo that came with the gun but as of yet have not found any combination that I would call accurate for a 243 at 100 yds. I've been working with the 80 and 100 grain loads that came with the gun. Does your 243 have the same stock as mine? What are some of your best groups with it? Thanks for your help.
Cary
Yes, my .243 does have the "skeleton" stock and I love the way it looks. Some don't like it and some do. Having both styles with a comparable gun ie: .270 skeleton style/30.06 newer style, the .270 seems to kick harder and I think it is because of the stock. As far as grouping goes, I haven't shot the .243 enough to really give an honest answer. When I bought it, I intended for my 11 yr old to use it for deer hunting. I've loaned it out to my brother-in-law who loves the gun and offered to buy it from me. I think I have pulled the trigger on it 3 times total without any kind of rest or lead sled so, that said, I really need to take it out and get some trigger time with it. Also, it has an old Redfield scope that isn't an upper end model. Whether that has an impact on the guns performance or not, I don't know. I'm just trying to find what ammo the general ruger M77 MkII owners have found to work best in their weapons before I go out and start pushing lots of lead with these guns as they are all fairly new to me within the last two years.
So far, it is only the CoreLokt that I have bought and used.
I do know the .270 and the 30.06 are spot on almost perfectly accurate @ 200yds using a lead sled.
Wicky is offline  
Old November 5th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #7
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: IDAHO
Posts: 21
Wicky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger Redhawk View Post
People can just tell you what their rifles like which means very little. No two rifles are the same. Mine might like Federal and yours won't. Actually I've had pretty good luck using Remington Core Lokts in some of my M-77's. It boils down to trial and error.
Thanks
Wicky is offline  
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #8
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Boise,Idaho
Posts: 132
Tork is on a distinguished road
Wicky,
Thanks for the info and if you can, keep us updated on what you find. There are a bunch of 243s out there so you should be able to get some answers eventually. I've shot the 80 and 100 grain Remington CoreLokts in mine and was not impressed with the results in my gun at 100 yards. My father-in-law purchased this gun used. I don't think he shot it much as I assume he got it for my mother-in-law to use and she would not have shot it much at all. He had plenty of other guns to use himself. I've read where some of the 243s get shot out if many hot loads are used in them and I should take this in to a gunsmith and have him examine it for that problem. If it is shot out then all my experimentation is for nothing. At this time I have been working up a load with the 100 grain PSP CoreLokts using some H414 I already had on hand. I understand it is a good powder for this weight of bullet in the 243. The best group I have gotten so far is 2&3/16" at 100 yards with four shots. It should do better than that and I still have some things to try.
Cary
Tork is offline  
Old November 14th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #9
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: IDAHO
Posts: 21
Wicky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork View Post
Wicky,
Thanks for the info and if you can, keep us updated on what you find. There are a bunch of 243s out there so you should be able to get some answers eventually. I've shot the 80 and 100 grain Remington CoreLokts in mine and was not impressed with the results in my gun at 100 yards. My father-in-law purchased this gun used. I don't think he shot it much as I assume he got it for my mother-in-law to use and she would not have shot it much at all. He had plenty of other guns to use himself. I've read where some of the 243s get shot out if many hot loads are used in them and I should take this in to a gunsmith and have him examine it for that problem. If it is shot out then all my experimentation is for nothing. At this time I have been working up a load with the 100 grain PSP CoreLokts using some H414 I already had on hand. I understand it is a good powder for this weight of bullet in the 243. The best group I have gotten so far is 2&3/16" at 100 yards with four shots. It should do better than that and I still have some things to try.
Cary
Well, I guess I'll be shooting CoreLokts for awhile. Just bought a small truckload from the .243 on up to the 300 Winmag. All were just $14.99ea. At that price, I can afford to miss the bullseye on paper but, still make the killshot on that Elk.
Wicky is offline  
Old December 6th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #10
 
trigger creep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: At a mall in PA, ninja'ing
Posts: 6,948
trigger creep has a spectacular aura abouttrigger creep has a spectacular aura abouttrigger creep has a spectacular aura about
My M77 in .270 likes Winchester 150 grain power points the most, but I mostly use Nosler 130 grain NBT's for hunting, so that is what it's sighted in for. It shoots the NBT's into a 1 1/2 " group, so that is good enough for me. I want to load up some 130 Nosler partitions and try them but I haven't yet.
trigger creep is offline  
Old December 15th, 2011, 05:40 AM   #11
 
pricedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Life Member NRA & GOA
Posts: 18
pricedo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicky View Post
I have all four guns but, have pretty much just used the CoreLokts.
Used the 30.06 in a 165gr last week to punch a hole through a deer at 100yds. Exit wound was as big as a beer can and I literally shot the heart out of it. Amazingly enough, the deer still ran almost 100yds after the shot. Anyway, just wondering what ammo you guys have found to be most consistent in any four of these calibers. A man can spend a lot of money figuring out which ammo is best. Thought I'd try to narrow it down.
I'm currently shooting 100gr in the .243. 150gr in the .270. 165gr in the 30.06. 180gr in the 300winmag. These all seem to do the job pretty well but, just wondering if you guys have any favorites.
Thanks,
Wicky
Have the Ruger M77 All Weather stainless in .300 Win Mag with a 3-9x40mm Leupold on top. It's my main moose gun. This gun gives me well under 1 MOA with the Winchester 180 grain XP3 factory ammunition.

I have it's RF running mate the All Weather Ruger M77/22 stainless with a 1.5-4.5x40mm Bushnell Trophy on top. It is a very accurate gun with all kinds of .22LR ammo.

I have had these 2 rifles for years & won't ever sell them.

I replaced the triggers on both guns with custom 3rd party triggers.

Way back when I bought the guns Ruger factory triggers had the deserved reputation of being as stiff as fence posts.

I hear that has since changed.

Last edited by pricedo; December 15th, 2011 at 05:45 AM.
pricedo is offline  
Old January 5th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #12
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fairbanks Alaska
Posts: 11
wingerdt is on a distinguished road
Have been shooting Fusion ammo in my 243, 7mm-08, 270WSM, 30-06 and my .338 win mag. They group pretty well with all.
wingerdt is offline  
Old January 5th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #13
 
2Late45's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Castle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 652
2Late45 is on a distinguished road
Mine are all Hand-Loads, H4350 and Sierra 165 Game Kings in the .30-06, my .243 is the heavier bbl M77-II Target. It prefers the lighter 70 > 87gr spitzers over a mid level load of H-380. I've never put a factory round thru either of them...
2Late45 is offline  
Old January 7th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #14
 
DQL5150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 296
DQL5150 is on a distinguished road
I typically handload for my .270 MKII but have found it likes 150gr. Winchester Power-Points in a factory round. Inexpensive and nickle-sized groups from my rifle plus reloadable brass. I personally don't care for Remington ammo but if the CoreLokts are working for you, don't fix it. Good luck.
DQL5150 is offline  
Old January 7th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #15
 
Samuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 505
Samuel is on a distinguished road
I have a M77 in 30.06 and haven't hunted with it yet but at the range I'm getting my best groups @ 100/200/300 yards with Nosler 168gr BTHP's and Varget.
Samuel is offline  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Rifle & Shotgun Forum > Ruger Bolt Action



Search tags for this page

best ammo for a 243 ruger bolt action

,

best ammo for ruger 270

,

best ammo for ruger m77 .270

,

best factory bullet for 300 ruger

,

best loads for .243 win ruger m77

,
best round for m77 ruger 300 win mag
,
ruger 77 mark ii .243 factory ammo
,
ruger forum m77 mkii 243
,
ruger model m77 .270
,
what grain ammo should i use in my ruger 7mm mag
,
what is the most accurate faactory shell in a ruger m77 30-06
,
whats the best factory round for a ruger m77 mark2 stainless steal .270
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guns & Ammo Magazine article on SR22...ammo report overlyunderme Ruger Rimfires 4 February 24th, 2013 07:39 PM
No 1 grouping strange coldmold Ruger Single-Shot 16 July 19th, 2012 08:18 PM
Barrel length for 300WinMag Critch Firearms 0 October 15th, 2011 10:29 PM
What is considered a good grouping? rogerc Ruger 10/22 Rimfire 5 March 29th, 2010 07:26 AM
Poor grouping Tigerstripes Range Reports 8 March 12th, 2008 04:09 PM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List  
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2014 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.