Ruger Forum

Problems with new parts, Need Help

This is a discussion on Problems with new parts, Need Help within the Ruger 10/22 Rimfire forums, part of the Rifle & Shotgun Forum category; I am new to owning a Ruger and I bought a 10/22. I am currently changing it from its stock configuration. I put a Power ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Rifle & Shotgun Forum > Ruger 10/22 Rimfire

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old November 27th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #1
 
beauthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Benton, Arkansas
Posts: 62
beauthorn is on a distinguished road
Problems with new parts, Need Help

I am new to owning a Ruger and I bought a 10/22. I am currently changing it from its stock configuration. I put a Power Custom oversized charging handle and a new bull barrel and now my firing pin won't strike the rim hard enough to ignite the round. I think the new guide rod is a little shorter than the factory. Maybe the bolt face isn't as snug with the new charging handle guide rod and spring. Any help or ideas?

Thanks,
Beau



beauthorn is offline  
Advertisements
Old November 27th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #2
 
BlkHawk73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 5,525
BlkHawk73 is on a distinguished road
Be sure the barrel is fully inserted so that the shoulder is against the receiver.
BlkHawk73 is online now  
Old November 27th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #3
 
beauthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Benton, Arkansas
Posts: 62
beauthorn is on a distinguished road
Question

The barrel is/was seated correctly, all the way against the collar with V block properly. Don't think that is the cause.
beauthorn is offline  
Old November 27th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #4
 
beauthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Benton, Arkansas
Posts: 62
beauthorn is on a distinguished road
The Power Custom guide rod appears to be the problem in my opinion. The bolt isn't seating flush up against the barrel. I put the factory guide rod and handle back in and the bolt fits snug against the barrel. I hope this is the solution. Any feedback or advice is welcome.
beauthorn is offline  
Old November 27th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Former Hoadpiler
 
303lithgow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 28,414
303lithgow will become famous soon enough303lithgow will become famous soon enough
Keep us updated.
303lithgow is offline  
Old December 2nd, 2011, 08:59 PM   #6
 
beauthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Benton, Arkansas
Posts: 62
beauthorn is on a distinguished road
Update: I replaced the Power Custom guide rod and handle with the original factory Ruger parts. Works like a charm now. Only ran into one problem. I maxed out the elevation on my 3-9x40mm scope and still low at 25 yards. I went and bought some extra high rings and now I've got it on at 25 and 50 yards. Not impressed with Power Custom right now. Don't know what their tolerances are on their parts but they missed the mark on the handle/guide rod. Other than that shoots great for a new barrel. I suppose some break in time is recommended on the barrel.
beauthorn is offline  
Old December 3rd, 2011, 07:36 AM   #7
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NE Wy
Posts: 396
gunnysmith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauthorn View Post
Update: I replaced the Power Custom guide rod and handle with the original factory Ruger parts. Works like a charm now. Only ran into one problem. I maxed out the elevation on my 3-9x40mm scope and still low at 25 yards. I went and bought some extra high rings and now I've got it on at 25 and 50 yards. Not impressed with Power Custom right now. Don't know what their tolerances are on their parts but they missed the mark on the handle/guide rod. Other than that shoots great for a new barrel. I suppose some break in time is recommended on the barrel.
It's not unusual to install shims under the front or rear scope base to aquire correct zero.
gunnysmith is offline  
Old December 17th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #8
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 22
HPaulman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauthorn View Post
The Power Custom guide rod appears to be the problem in my opinion. The bolt isn't seating flush up against the barrel. I put the factory guide rod and handle back in and the bolt fits snug against the barrel. I hope this is the solution. Any feedback or advice is welcome.
did you remove the cross pin on the guide rod?
HPaulman is offline  
Old December 18th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #9
 
beauthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Benton, Arkansas
Posts: 62
beauthorn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPaulman View Post
did you remove the cross pin on the guide rod?
No. I figured I wanted it in there. I'm no gunsmith though. You got an idea?
beauthorn is offline  
Old December 19th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #10
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 22
HPaulman is on a distinguished road
I dont have one myself but have been looking in to getting one and while reading the reviews on midway usa came across people whose bolts did not work until the cross pin was removed. Here is one that was posted on the page below.
Competition Extended Bolt Handle Recoil Spring Assembly Ruger 10/22 SS


I found this to be a solidly built item, with one puzzling design feature- the spring is not crimped onto the guide rod (like the factory Ruger item). This results in a bit of awkwardness when installing or removing the handle from the receiver. For some reason, Power Custom ships the item with a pin through the rod to keep the spring in place. My initial impulse was to install the unit with this pin installed, but that did not allow the bolt to move fully forward (I suspect some of the negative reviews were a result of this pin). Once the pin was out, the bolt cycled fine and the rifle functioned without issues. I agree that the finish is too dull and that the handle needs to be polished.

Let me know if that works for you.
HPaulman is offline  
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #11
 
armed pacifist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Alabama
Posts: 188
armed pacifist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauthorn View Post
Update: I replaced the Power Custom guide rod and handle with the original factory Ruger parts. Works like a charm now. Only ran into one problem. I maxed out the elevation on my 3-9x40mm scope and still low at 25 yards. I went and bought some extra high rings and now I've got it on at 25 and 50 yards. Not impressed with Power Custom right now. Don't know what their tolerances are on their parts but they missed the mark on the handle/guide rod. Other than that shoots great for a new barrel. I suppose some break in time is recommended on the barrel.
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of scope was it? I'm in the market for one and want to avoid one that won't zero without shims.

Do you think the new barrel had anything to do with it not zeroing?
armed pacifist is offline  
Old December 20th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #12
 
beauthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Benton, Arkansas
Posts: 62
beauthorn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPaulman View Post
I dont have one myself but have been looking in to getting one and while reading the reviews on midway usa came across people whose bolts did not work until the cross pin was removed. Here is one that was posted on the page below.
Competition Extended Bolt Handle Recoil Spring Assembly Ruger 10/22 SS


I found this to be a solidly built item, with one puzzling design feature- the spring is not crimped onto the guide rod (like the factory Ruger item). This results in a bit of awkwardness when installing or removing the handle from the receiver. For some reason, Power Custom ships the item with a pin through the rod to keep the spring in place. My initial impulse was to install the unit with this pin installed, but that did not allow the bolt to move fully forward (I suspect some of the negative reviews were a result of this pin). Once the pin was out, the bolt cycled fine and the rifle functioned without issues. I agree that the finish is too dull and that the handle needs to be polished.

Let me know if that works for you.
WOW. Those were my thoughts almost exactly. Maybe I should take the pin out and retry. I hate not to use the new handle. The finish is dull on mine but I can live with that. Thanks for the heads up. This does help. Kudos.
beauthorn is offline  
Old December 20th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #13
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 41
somawas is on a distinguished road
I installed a Power Custom Bolt Handle and Spring. Without reading the accompanying information, I could see that the pin retaining the spring on the rod would not allow the bolt to operate properly. I took the pin out, tried the rifle, and it cycled properly for as long as I fired- two 50 round boxes of CCI Blazer ammo.

I later read the instructions, ..."During this process, most likely the retainer pin has fallen out of the end of the Spring Guide. Remove and discard it. (If the retainer pin is needed at a later time, the straightened end of a paper clip works fine)."

Try it. Also, I like the bolt handle.
somawas is offline  
Old December 20th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #14
 
beauthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Benton, Arkansas
Posts: 62
beauthorn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by armed pacifist View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of scope was it? I'm in the market for one and want to avoid one that won't zero without shims.

Do you think the new barrel had anything to do with it not zeroing?
Hey armed pacifist. I know it's not the barrel because I tried with the standard contour barrel from the factory with same results. From what I hear, I might have had a parallax issue.

The scope is a Simmons 8 Point 3-9x40mm. Excellent scope. Have used it on centerfire hunting rifles. Can't blame it. Just needed the extra high rings.

Does anyone use an adjustable objective scope? Could this have prevented the need for extra tall scope rings?
beauthorn is offline  
Old December 20th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #15
 
beauthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Benton, Arkansas
Posts: 62
beauthorn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by somawas View Post
I installed a Power Custom Bolt Handle and Spring. Without reading the accompanying information, I could see that the pin retaining the spring on the rod would not allow the bolt to operate properly. I took the pin out, tried the rifle, and it cycled properly for as long as I fired- two 50 round boxes of CCI Blazer ammo.

I later read the instructions, ..."During this process, most likely the retainer pin has fallen out of the end of the Spring Guide. Remove and discard it. (If the retainer pin is needed at a later time, the straightened end of a paper clip works fine)."

Try it. Also, I like the bolt handle.
Thanks somawas! Good info. I may head out to the garage right now for some gunsmithing!
beauthorn is offline  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Rifle & Shotgun Forum > Ruger 10/22 Rimfire



Search tags for this page

oversize charging handle ruger 10/22 midway

,

ruger 10/22 charging handle, c-clip or crimped

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GP 100 Parts jadeandnoni Ruger Double Action 6 May 12th, 2014 07:20 PM
Want To Buy: WTB hi std parts hal Parts & Accessories 0 February 22nd, 2012 07:31 PM
M77 parts bowhunter54 Rifles 2 January 12th, 2012 09:33 AM
For Sale: P97 parts SteveSatch Parts & Accessories 0 November 17th, 2011 06:40 PM
need some parts bigghoss Ruger Pistols 1 October 9th, 2009 05:11 PM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List  
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2014 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.