Ruger Forum

10/22 shooting @ a distance question

This is a discussion on 10/22 shooting @ a distance question within the Ruger 10/22 Rimfire forums, part of the Rifle & Shotgun Forum category; I am new to shooting with a scope so hopefully i can get some help with this. When im at the range i can consistantly ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Rifle & Shotgun Forum > Ruger 10/22 Rimfire

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old October 3rd, 2011, 06:17 PM   #1
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 65
Dcleme1 is on a distinguished road
10/22 shooting @ a distance question

I am new to shooting with a scope so hopefully i can get some help with this. When im at the range i can consistantly keep a quarter size group at 25 yards. well this weekend i was shooting outside at roughly 50 and 70 yards. i shot 30 rounds at each distance and at both distances my groups were up about and inch and to the left about 2 inches. If the scopre is accurate at 25 yds, why is this happening? Do i need to adjust the scope?
I have a 10/22 carbine with a Volq. hammer. and a NcStar 4x9 scope - i know its not the scope of choice but it was a gift and has been acurate so far -



Dcleme1 is offline  
Advertisements
Old October 3rd, 2011, 06:40 PM   #2
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3
ranchrifle22 is on a distinguished road
I would say this is happening because the further distance you shoot, the touchier the scope is. You would probably be alright to sight it in at the further distance and still not notice any change at your 25 yd. shot. I would start by adjusting elevation down about 4 clicks and windage right about 8 clicks. See where that gets ya. .22 ammo is cheap so have fun and shoot til you get it perfect. Don't be afraid to move your turrets. Also make sure your rings and bases are tight, but don't over-torque.
ranchrifle22 is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2011, 06:45 PM   #3
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 65
Dcleme1 is on a distinguished road
ok thanks. the range here only has 25yd lanes so i guess ill go out to the hunting lease and sight it in at 50 yards and see what happens. Thanks for the imput
Dcleme1 is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2011, 06:53 PM   #4
 
clinton1621's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lebanon, OH
Posts: 1,057
clinton1621 is on a distinguished road
I wouldnt blame the scope right off... .22 lr is VERY much affected by light wind, the longer the distance, the more its affected... also errors on your part (trigger and muscle control) will throw the shots off even more at longer ranges, missing by 1/4 inch at 25 = 1/2 inch at 50.

Did you adjust the scope when you went from 25 to 50 yards? You should have if you didnt, it wont hit the same at 50 that it does at 25... re-zero the scope at 50 and see if it holds the zero after a 100 rounds or so.

I dont know how much practice you do, or what you usually do groupwise, but I can get dime sized groups at 50 yards with my 10/22... you are hitting quarter size at 25, which would be silver dollar size at 50 yards, try shooting prone and focus on your trigger control, breathing, and muscle movements.... you should see a major improvement in accuracy.
clinton1621 is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2011, 07:12 PM   #5
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 65
Dcleme1 is on a distinguished road
i wasnt blaming only the scope but i was sooting off the hood of my truck with a sand bag rest and aiming at about an apple sized target and was consistantly missing high and to the left with every shot (about 90 total) so i figured it was more a calibration issue than user error. i have been shooting all my life but still new to the .22 and this scope so i know i have room to improve and i do keep in mind trigger control and breathing. Soon ill re-zero the scope at 50yds and see how that works out.
thanks
Dcleme1 is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2011, 07:20 PM   #6
 
clinton1621's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lebanon, OH
Posts: 1,057
clinton1621 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcleme1 View Post
i wasnt blaming only the scope but i was sooting off the hood of my truck with a sand bag rest and aiming at about an apple sized target and was consistantly missing high and to the left with every shot (about 90 total) so i figured it was more a calibration issue than user error. i have been shooting all my life but still new to the .22 and this scope so i know i have room to improve and i do keep in mind trigger control and breathing. Soon ill re-zero the scope at 50yds and see how that works out.
thanks
If it was consistently hitting in the same spot, then the scope is working... it just needs adjusted, or you were pulling the shots... thats why I said try shooting prone especially when you zero the scope, its the most accurate position, which will give you the most accurate zero. That will also give you a better perspective of whats going on when you are not in prone, if the rifle/scope hits good groups in prone, but not seated and using a rest, its not the rifle/scope.

PS... standing is the worst position for accuracy, even with a rest.

Last edited by clinton1621; October 3rd, 2011 at 07:23 PM.
clinton1621 is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2011, 07:24 PM   #7
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 65
Dcleme1 is on a distinguished road
after looking into the problem more i think its safe to say that sighting it in at 50 yds and making sure the scope is level and aligned will solve the problem. since i was walking through some pretty thick brush and trees which could have moved something if it wasnt tightened enough.
thanks for the help.
Dcleme1 is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2011, 08:44 PM   #8
 
clinton1621's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lebanon, OH
Posts: 1,057
clinton1621 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchrifle22 View Post
I would say this is happening because the further distance you shoot, the touchier the scope is. You would probably be alright to sight it in at the further distance and still not notice any change at your 25 yd. shot. I would start by adjusting elevation down about 4 clicks and windage right about 8 clicks. See where that gets ya. .22 ammo is cheap so have fun and shoot til you get it perfect. Don't be afraid to move your turrets. Also make sure your rings and bases are tight, but don't over-torque.
You would notice a big difference if you zero a scope at 50 and then switch to 25... trajectory is what determines where the bullet impacts, not the scope, thats why you zero a scope for a specific range... change the range you are shooting at, and you change the trajectory that the bullet is on in its flight path, thus altering the zero you need for the scope to be aligned with where the bullet impacts the target for that specific distance.
clinton1621 is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2011, 09:06 PM   #9
 
clinton1621's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lebanon, OH
Posts: 1,057
clinton1621 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clinton1621 View Post
You would notice a big difference if you zero a scope at 50 and then switch to 25... trajectory is what determines where the bullet impacts, not the scope, thats why you zero a scope for a specific range... change the range you are shooting at, and you change the trajectory that the bullet is on in its flight path, thus altering the zero you need for the scope to be aligned with where the bullet impacts the target for that specific distance.
For example... stats from CCI Mini-Mag rounds

If you zero at 75 yards the trajectory is as follows

25 yards .6 inches

50 yards 1.2 inches

75 yards 0 inches (zero)

100 yards -3.2 inches

Given that data the zero at 75 will put the scope line of sight UNDER the trajectory of the bullet at 25, and at 50... meaning you would hit high at 25, and ever higher at 50
clinton1621 is offline  
Old October 4th, 2011, 04:31 AM   #10
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 65
Dcleme1 is on a distinguished road
man all this talking about shooting makes me want to take a day off work and get this thing sighted in. Thanks for the imput. ill put all this together and get it shooting right
Dcleme1 is offline  
Old October 6th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #11
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Westervelt, IL
Posts: 76
EricW is an unknown quantity at this point
It's called shooter related departure error. The lock time is ultra slow in the 10/22 as well. They can even be hard to shoot off a bench perfectly. 50 yard zero is enough for most shooters and hunters, especially when you have a 25 round clip to spray.
EricW is offline  
Old October 6th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #12
 
BlkHawk73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 5,457
BlkHawk73 is on a distinguished road
Just me but if I'm to shoot at a given range, I sight in the scope for that particular range and leave it. If that's 50 yds, that it; it's a 50 yd gun from then on. Want 100yds, I use a different gun. Just many variables with the .22lr to have one set at Range A and expect accuracy at Range B, especially with stock set-ups and low end optics.
BlkHawk73 is offline  
Old October 6th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #13
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Westervelt, IL
Posts: 76
EricW is an unknown quantity at this point
With some scope and rifle set ups, you may be able to sight your gun in at 50 yards and use the thick part of the reticle below center as a 75 or 100 yard aiming post. My friends savage works this way at a particular magnification, which you have to remember.... .. Play around with a big target after zeroing for 50 yards and you may be able to use your crosshairs post as a 100 yard aiming guesstimator. Not exact or anything, but definitely doable on rabbits and the like.
EricW is offline  
Old October 6th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #14
 
clinton1621's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lebanon, OH
Posts: 1,057
clinton1621 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
With some scope and rifle set ups, you may be able to sight your gun in at 50 yards and use the thick part of the reticle below center as a 75 or 100 yard aiming post. My friends savage works this way at a particular magnification, which you have to remember.... .. Play around with a big target after zeroing for 50 yards and you may be able to use your crosshairs post as a 100 yard aiming guesstimator. Not exact or anything, but definitely doable on rabbits and the like.
You could also use mil-dots if your scope has them
clinton1621 is offline  
Old October 6th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #15
 
Howie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newark OH
Posts: 673
Howie is on a distinguished road
I make a mark on the turret at for 25 50 75 and 100. That has worked fairly well for me. Of course even so there are some variance and that is just a starting point if I want to get a good grouping. Theoretically it should be the same at two different positions since the bullet does not travel straight, it goes on an arc. Like on this chart it would be 20 and 60 yards. Hope this helps you. http://www.gunsmoke.com/guns/1022/images/22hv_plot.gif
Howie is offline  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Rifle & Shotgun Forum > Ruger 10/22 Rimfire



Search tags for this page
.22rifle range distance
,
at what distant should you seideman 22 rimfire
,
best barrel for distance with ruger 10/22
,
best site in distance for .22lr with scope
,
distance fo 10/22
,
luger 22 rifle range distance
,

ruger 10 22 distance

,

ruger 10 22 range distance

,
ruger 1022 cci mini mag traj
,
shooting the ruger 10/22
,
what distant should you shoot 22 rifle in
,
what should i zero my ruger 1022 at
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Distance a round will travel JohnD Ammo Dump 11 March 15th, 2012 07:55 AM
Distance to sight in. James Showers Ruger Pistols 5 February 26th, 2012 02:02 PM
Shooting question funman Range Reports 4 July 9th, 2010 07:51 PM
At what distance should I start shooting my Sp 101 2.25 in. 357 with CT laser grips oldrugerfan Optics 3 January 7th, 2009 10:06 AM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List  
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2014 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.