Ruger Forum

The most accurate .22lr Rifle? at a moderate price

This is a discussion on The most accurate .22lr Rifle? at a moderate price within the Rifles forums, part of the Rifle & Shotgun Forum category; If you were looking for an equilibrium in price, accuracy, and fun for a .22lr Rifle what would you recomment? I submit to this forum ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Rifle & Shotgun Forum > Rifles

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old April 28th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #1
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: On the land
Posts: 289
BenjiEDF is on a distinguished road
The most accurate .22lr Rifle? at a moderate price

If you were looking for an equilibrium in price, accuracy, and fun for a .22lr Rifle what would you recomment?

I submit to this forum that I think I found such a rifle, but I'm curious to here other opinions and experiences. When at the local outdoor range slow firing a .22 rifle for maximum accuracy has been one of the most enjoyable experiences for me. It is cheap enough that I don't worry about ammo price AT ALL and I can just relax and plink away while also improving my marksmanship skills.

The rifle I've settle on is my CZ-452 Military Trainer. It is a bolt action with a 25" barrel and military style sights that are fully adjustable. I can hit a soda can at 100 yards with the iron sights (not every shot guarenteed but still) I really like it. I mounted a Nikon 3-9x40 on it recently and the accuraccy is just great.

Some old dude at the range said the CZ is about the most accurate .22lr out there save an Anschultz... is he right?

My 10/22 is nice too, but the stock sights are junk compared to the CZ I'm going to fix that soon though.



BenjiEDF is offline  
Advertisements
Old April 28th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #2
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Posts: 87
ReverendWolf is on a distinguished road
I've had a Marlin 25MN for about 20 years now and it has always been an absolute tack driver. I know you specified LR but I was able to nail a Coors can at about 250 Yds in the mountains and can smack steel nearly every shot at 400. I've had such excellent luck with it that my semi auto will most likely be a 795. Yeah its small and feels dinky compared to a Remington 597 or a 10/22 Carbine Deluxe but if its at all as solid as my bolt action WMR then I'll be extremely happy. Not to mention I really don't want to spend the money for two rifles to upgrade a 10/22 unless I can find an already built up magnum version of the 10/22, then I might reconsider. LOL
ReverendWolf is offline  
Old April 28th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #3
 
spartan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Part time FL Part time AK
Posts: 401
spartan88 is on a distinguished road
10/22 can be very accurate with some work. I also have heard really good things about CZ. I really like the 77/22 but it is a fair amount more than the 10/22
spartan88 is offline  
Old April 28th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #4
 
Dozer02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: S.Meriden Connecticut
Posts: 998
Dozer02 is on a distinguished road
Savage Mark II FS. I have one with open sights, it will easily hit anything you can see at 100 yards. When I mounted the Weaver 4x12 on it, I was hitting plastic bottle caps at will from the 140 yard line! Easily the most accurate .22lr I have ever owned! "tack driver" is an understatement! Ammo brand makes no difference! All brands I've used hit at the exact same POI. I don't have any experience with the CZ you've mentioned, but I do know they make fine weapons. My Ruger 10/22 with it's Volquartzen stainless match grade barrel and machined replacement bolt/trigger group is also easily a 1" group gun from the 100 yd line. Even with the $500+ in Volquartzen upgrades my 10/22 has nothing on the "bone stock" Savage Mark II FS. When Savage says "best out of box accuracy" they certainly mean it! Every Savage rifle I own, including centerfires, displays these same accuracy characteristics.
Dozer02 is offline  
Old April 29th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #5
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: On the land
Posts: 289
BenjiEDF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer02 View Post
Savage Mark II FS. I have one with open sights, it will easily hit anything you can see at 100 yards. When I mounted the Weaver 4x12 on it, I was hitting plastic bottle caps at will from the 140 yard line! Easily the most accurate .22lr I have ever owned! "tack driver" is an understatement! Ammo brand makes no difference! All brands I've used hit at the exact same POI. I don't have any experience with the CZ you've mentioned, but I do know they make fine weapons. My Ruger 10/22 with it's Volquartzen stainless match grade barrel and machined replacement bolt/trigger group is also easily a 1" group gun from the 100 yd line. Even with the $500+ in Volquartzen upgrades my 10/22 has nothing on the "bone stock" Savage Mark II FS. When Savage says "best out of box accuracy" they certainly mean it! Every Savage rifle I own, including centerfires, displays these same accuracy characteristics.
I have heard good things about savage too. I've been tempted to buy one on an occasion but the plastic stock was really poor. I might re-consider if I find one with a better stock.
BenjiEDF is offline  
Old April 29th, 2012, 04:31 AM   #6
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ne Alababma
Posts: 11
Koada is on a distinguished road
Straight out of the box I would have to agree with Dozer...Savage MarkII...the accutrigger and accuracy are way above any other..and a great value for what you get...
Koada is offline  
Old April 29th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #7
 
Dozer02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: S.Meriden Connecticut
Posts: 998
Dozer02 is on a distinguished road
I have "sung the praises" of Savage arms since my very first one in 1974. Make no mistake, I have a Ruger M-77 in .308 that does "magical things" at the 100 yard line, very accurate! I have no experience with any Ruger .22 rimfire rifle's, other than my 10/22's (I have three of them). I currently have four different Savage rimfires (2-lr's, a mag and a 17HMR) I have an old "tube fed" Marlin.22lr, three Remington 597's (lr,mag &.17HMR), Winchester bolt and several lever 22.s, an old Mossberg .22 semi auto, 2 Henry levers and three dedicated 22lr AR rifles (Sig, Colt, HK.) None of the above mentioned can do what the Savage will do. I don't even know if Ruger makes the M-77 chambered in .22 (I think they do) but I'm sure it would be an accurate shooter as well. Just my opinion is that nobody does economy rimfire rifle accuracy like Savage, If you want to spend $1000 or more on an Anshultz or other custom competition rimfire, I'd gladly stand on the 100 yard line against it armed with my Mark II FS. I honestly don't see how ANY gun can be more accurate than the this Savage, if you do your part, it'll do it's! A fellow range officer wanted to stop my bragging by means of a bet using his Cooper classic ($2000.00 .22lr) Against my Savage, I agreed, but only bet him a brick of .22's, instead of the paycheck he had in mind! (mine are a lot bigger than his! LOL) That day I did 2- 8 shot groups from 100 yards, the larger measured not much bigger than a single .45 acp wadcutter hole! That was from my Caldwell sled of course. I went home that day with an extra brick of CCI.22's, not my particular choice, but thats what he had! He did one group comparable to mine but had two strays on his second group, to this day, he still blames the wind! There wasn't even a breeze! Needless to say my bragging still hasn't stopped! (lol) He's now the proud owner of two Savages himself! In all seriousness, his Cooper classic is a very nice accurate rifle, but it just goes to show that a less expensive weapon doesn't always mean less accurate!
Dozer02 is offline  
Old April 29th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #8
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: On the land
Posts: 289
BenjiEDF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer02 View Post
I have "sung the praises" of Savage arms since my very first one in 1974. Make no mistake, I have a Ruger M-77 in .308 that does "magical things" at the 100 yard line, very accurate! I have no experience with any Ruger .22 rimfire rifle's, other than my 10/22's (I have three of them). I currently have four different Savage rimfires (2-lr's, a mag and a 17HMR) I have an old "tube fed" Marlin.22lr, three Remington 597's (lr,mag &.17HMR), Winchester bolt and several lever 22.s, an old Mossberg .22 semi auto, 2 Henry levers and three dedicated 22lr AR rifles (Sig, Colt, HK.) None of the above mentioned can do what the Savage will do. I don't even know if Ruger makes the M-77 chambered in .22 (I think they do) but I'm sure it would be an accurate shooter as well. Just my opinion is that nobody does economy rimfire rifle accuracy like Savage, If you want to spend $1000 or more on an Anshultz or other custom competition rimfire, I'd gladly stand on the 100 yard line against it armed with my Mark II FS. I honestly don't see how ANY gun can be more accurate than the this Savage, if you do your part, it'll do it's! A fellow range officer wanted to stop my bragging by means of a bet using his Cooper classic ($2000.00 .22lr) Against my Savage, I agreed, but only bet him a brick of .22's, instead of the paycheck he had in mind! (mine are a lot bigger than his! LOL) That day I did 2- 8 shot groups from 100 yards, the larger measured not much bigger than a single .45 acp wadcutter hole! That was from my Caldwell sled of course. I went home that day with an extra brick of CCI.22's, not my particular choice, but thats what he had! He did one group comparable to mine but had two strays on his second group, to this day, he still blames the wind! There wasn't even a breeze! Needless to say my bragging still hasn't stopped! (lol) He's now the proud owner of two Savages himself! In all seriousness, his Cooper classic is a very nice accurate rifle, but it just goes to show that a less expensive weapon doesn't always mean less accurate!
Thanks I enjoyed reading that story.

Is your savage a heavy barrel version? do you think that is important for a .22 rifle? I might get a savage one of these days. I still love my CZ, but it's fun to have a variety of different guns.
BenjiEDF is offline  
Old April 29th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #9
 
Dozer02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: S.Meriden Connecticut
Posts: 998
Dozer02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiEDF View Post
Thanks I enjoyed reading that story.

Is your savage a heavy barrel version? do you think that is important for a .22 rifle? I might get a savage one of these days. I still love my CZ, but it's fun to have a variety of different guns.
My Mark II is indeed a heavy barreled version with a camo stock. (I would post pics but I suck at taking pics and I'm even worse at posting them!) The heavy barrel makes little to no difference in accuracy, the "pencil" barreled ones are just as accurate. I have been hearing nothing but good about CZ's pistols & rifles. I have no experience with them, other than looking and handling a couple in a few GS's. I think that might change real soon with the CZ P07 duty in OD green, possibly the "surpressor ready" model! depending on price.
Dozer02 is offline  
Old July 29th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #10
Freedom, Thank a VET!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mid-West & Ozark Mtn.
Posts: 1,625
Tracer is an unknown quantity at this point
Now last year I purchased 2 of the Savage rifles, in the .17-HMR caliber. These were extremely accurate (both rifles) rifles and I went down to our gunclub to find out which brand of ammo they both liked etc.

My rifle had the heavy barrel and shot 1/4 inch to just under 1/2 groups (.485) at 50 yds. My wife's rifle had the regular barrel and her rifle shot 1/4inch to 3/8 inch groups all afternoon.....FACT!!!

I did NOT like the caliber for killing varmints/predators!

I traded both in for the same Savage Brand of rifle, only in the .22mag caliber. My .22mag Savage, with the new trigger (it's great) lets me shoot 3-SHOTS, at 1/2 groups all day long with 40 grain bullets (muzzle velocity 1875-fps) and I have shot .385 using 32 grain bullets. Now Federal has the 50 grn bullet than lets me shoot coyotes or fox and drop them like a sack of wheat! I have shot both rifles at 100 yards into groups of 2.75 inches with no wind blowing. I have shot the 50 grainers (muzzle velocity 1650-fps) at 2 inches with no wind blowning from the bench. Please understand, my eyes are 70 yrs old with cateracts!

Last edited by Tracer; July 29th, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
Tracer is offline  
Old July 30th, 2012, 03:09 AM   #11
 
Samuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 505
Samuel is on a distinguished road
Im a fan of the Savage Mark II as well.
Samuel is offline  
Old July 30th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #12
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: wayne nj
Posts: 9,603
bwinters will become famous soon enough
Savage rifles are amoung the most accurate in virtually any caliber and the savage 110 series is more accurate than its price would indicate. An Anschutz will be more accurate. i have several czs and they are all accurate. i like the look of the cz but the savages are more accurate as a whole.
bwinters is offline  
Old July 30th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #13
 
TomP5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 559
TomP5 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, what the other guys have said! For the money the Savage Mark II, especially with the AccuTrigger, is hard to beat. I have an older Mark II, from the early '90's. It has a wood stock and wasn't quite as accurate as my oldest son's which had a plastic stock that is free floated. So I free floated mine, and whamo, it competes with his.

We still don't own one with the AccuTrigger, but I love the AccuTrigger on my daughter's .270. My youngest son will get a .22 when he hits 13. I plan to buy him a left-handed Savage Mark II with the wooden stock and AccuTrigger.

(I'd love a Cooper. Don't have the money for it. I longed for a Kimber up till they stopped making them, now they are hard to come buy and are more and more expensive. But at this point, if I were to buy another one for myself. It would be a Mark II with a bull barrel, probably. Mark II for sure. Maybe on the bull barrel.
TomP5 is offline  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Rifle & Shotgun Forum > Rifles



Search tags for this page
best price on 22lr rifle any brand
,
cooper 22lr
,
most accurate .22 rifle
,
most accurate .22lr rifle
,
most accurate 22 cal rifle
,
most accurate 22 caliber rifles
,
most accurate 22 rifle
,
most accurate 22 rifle out of the box
,
most accurate 22lr
,

most accurate 22lr rifle

,
most accurate 22lr rifles
,
whats the most accurate 22 lr rifle bolt action
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new most accurate rifle! Dozer02 Rifles 2 March 27th, 2012 12:47 PM
Remington 597 .22LR Plinker Rifle - New Scope Project whj812 Optics 0 November 8th, 2010 05:39 AM
Most accurate 22lr ammo for the MKIII? 100W_Warlock Ruger Rimfires 21 December 14th, 2009 06:47 AM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List  
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2014 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.