Ruger Forum

Alliant Power Pro 300-MP

This is a discussion on Alliant Power Pro 300-MP within the Reloading forums, part of the Firearm Forum category; Has anyone used this powder for hunting loads in a 45 Colt? nI normally use IMR 4227 in my hunting loads and have no complaints, ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Firearm Forum > Reloading

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old October 28th, 2012, 06:25 AM   #1
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: williamsport,pa
Posts: 154
littlevineyard1 is on a distinguished road
Alliant Power Pro 300-MP

Has anyone used this powder for hunting loads in a 45 Colt? nI normally use IMR 4227 in my hunting loads and have no complaints, just curious how this new powder stacks up!!



littlevineyard1 is offline  
Advertisements
Old October 28th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #2
K57
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 619
K57 is on a distinguished road
Haven't used it because I'm not a big fan of extruded flake powders. Have you ever considered Ramshot Enforcer. It's a fine grained spherical that meters like a dream. It will get you as much velocity as H110/W296, but with less muzzleblast. Ramshot has high pressure TC/Ruger only handload data for Enforcer in .45 Colt.
K57 is offline  
Old October 28th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #3
 
Sr40ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,284
Sr40ken will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by K57 View Post
Haven't used it because I'm not a big fan of extruded flake powders. Have you ever considered Ramshot Enforcer. It's a fine grained spherical that meters like a dream. It will get you as much velocity as H110/W296, but with less muzzleblast. Ramshot has high pressure TC/Ruger only handload data for Enforcer in .45 Colt.
Have you seen MP300? It isn't flake powder like say Unique it's spherical and meters very nicely. Performs well in .357 in both handgun and rifle.
Sr40ken is offline  
Old October 28th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #4
K57
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 619
K57 is on a distinguished road
No, I haven't actually seen it but all of Alliant's powders are extruded flake unless MP 300 is the exception and flattened ball (spherical).
K57 is offline  
Old October 29th, 2012, 06:04 AM   #5
 
Ruger45LC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 40
Ruger45LC is on a distinguished road
I'm curious too. I have read on other forums that folks say it doesn't stack up to what they claim, but I do have a pound of it. I hear it's somewhere in between H110/W296 and Lil'Gun in burn rate, but that's just hearsay.

I will load some up in the .357, .45 Colt and .454 and post the results when I do.
Ruger45LC is offline  
Old October 29th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #6
 
Sr40ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,284
Sr40ken will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by K57 View Post
No, I haven't actually seen it but all of Alliant's powders are extruded flake unless MP 300 is the exception and flattened ball (spherical).
2400 isn't and MP300 isn't they are in fact spherical.
Sr40ken is offline  
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #7
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: williamsport,pa
Posts: 154
littlevineyard1 is on a distinguished road
Hi RUGER45LC, Looking forward to your results in the 45 COLT with the 300-MP
littlevineyard1 is offline  
Old October 29th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #8
K57
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 619
K57 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr40ken View Post
2400 isn't and MP300 isn't they are in fact spherical.
Well, I don't mean to argue but if you check with Alliant they will tell you that 2400 is extruded flake. It's just smaller in size. The only US manufacturer of ball (spherical) powders is St. Marks in Florida who make Ramshot Competition, Silhouette. All of the Winchester and Hodgdon ball powders. Manufacturing differences being what they are it is very doubtful that MP 300 is spherical unless it is imported.
K57 is offline  
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #9
 
Sr40ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,284
Sr40ken will become famous soon enough
WHy does Alliant call 300 spherical?
"Power Pro™ 300-MP (Magnum Pistol)

Smokeless spherical magnum pistol powder
•Improved velocity and density for more efficient metering and loading
•Maximum velocity and performance in magnum handguns
•Enables reloaders to duplicate certain factory loaded ammunition"
Sr40ken is offline  
Old October 29th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #10
K57
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 619
K57 is on a distinguished road
Good question. Maybe it really is spherical. 2400 however is not. If 300 MP is spherical it's very doubtful that Alliant makes it themselves. Could be coming from St. Marks, or more than likely it is imported like the Reloader series of powders that come from Sweden with some of them manufactured by Norma. I will go to the Alliant website and check it out.
K57 is offline  
Old October 29th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #11
K57
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 619
K57 is on a distinguished road
Just got back from Alliant. They do indeed say that 300 MP is a SPHERICAL powder. Norma R123 Magnum handgun powder is no longer imported into the US last I heard so it could be that Alliant is selling the Norma R123 powder or a close derivative of it made by Norma. The Norma R123 powder was excellent but kinda expensive.
K57 is offline  
Old October 30th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #12
 
Sr40ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,284
Sr40ken will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by K57 View Post
Just got back from Alliant. They do indeed say that 300 MP is a SPHERICAL powder. Norma R123 Magnum handgun powder is no longer imported into the US last I heard so it could be that Alliant is selling the Norma R123 powder or a close derivative of it made by Norma. The Norma R123 powder was excellent but kinda expensive.
So your point was "it isn't Alliant's powder because it's spherical" or was it the original intent "It's Alliant, it can't be shperical"? And of course they say it's spherical I quoted that in my last post. I'm not clear of your intent. Is it you don't like Alliant or you just want to prove someone wrong on the net?

Last edited by Sr40ken; October 30th, 2012 at 06:11 AM.
Sr40ken is offline  
Old October 30th, 2012, 06:14 AM   #13
 
Sr40ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,284
Sr40ken will become famous soon enough
Back on point. I would say try the 300MP it seems to works well for me. I'll give it the speed test when my Chrony arrives this week. Accuracy is certainly there w 125gr as it is w 158gr bullets. I'm going to the farm next week and will try some distance shots out of the wheelgun and the '92.
Sr40ken is offline  
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #14
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 261
Temmi is on a distinguished road
So...

I would like to try it in a 45 Colt but no Load Data...

I use in in the 480R and it works great...

BUT

I have not cronoed the load yet.

Snake
Temmi is offline  
Old October 30th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #15
K57
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 619
K57 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr40ken View Post
So your point was "it isn't Alliant's powder because it's spherical" or was it the original intent "It's Alliant, it can't be shperical"? And of course they say it's spherical I quoted that in my last post. I'm not clear of your intent. Is it you don't like Alliant or you just want to prove someone wrong on the net?
No need to get testy now. Just needed to confirm for myself since you also stated that 2400 is a flattened ball (spherical) powder. I started reloading in 1986 with Blue Dot. I am very familiar with Alliant and how they make powder. Manufacturing ball powder would require a completely different manufacturing process and facility as well. Alliant has a working relationship with Norma of Sweden so I'm simply curious if Norma is the source for 300 MP. Alliant's rifle powders are all imports. Norma R123 was an excellent magnum handgun powder when it was available in the US and if 300 MP is anything like it, Alliant will have success with 300 MP.

I prefer ball or flattened ball powders for reloading handgun rounds because they are finer, denser and meter better. This can contribute to more consistent loads overall compared to extruded flake powders, but that's just my opinion. Nothing against imported powders either. I have used a lot of Vihta Vouri powders in the past and the Ramshot Enforcer that I now use for magnum revolver loads comes from Belgium.
K57 is offline  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Firearm Forum > Reloading



Search tags for this page
300 mp 44 mag loads
,
300-mp
,

300-mp vs h110

,
300mp load data
,
300mp load data 300 blackout
,
300mp powder
,

alliant power pro 300 mp

,

power pro 300 mp

,

power pro 300 mp load data

,

power pro 300-mp

,
power pro 300mp reloading data
,
pro 300 mp
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alliant Black mz dhom Black Powder 4 September 17th, 2012 03:31 AM
Alliant's new PP300-MP Tuner Reloading 2 May 30th, 2012 09:37 AM
Anyone using Alliant 300-MP in a .44 mag? bagpipe bob Reloading 0 January 16th, 2012 04:21 PM
Alliant 2400 and 300-MP for .357 EricW Reloading 7 September 24th, 2011 03:35 PM
Alliant 2400, recipes ? 45 ACP joebob Ruger Single Action 6 August 15th, 2010 09:58 PM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List  
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2014 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.