Well I posted this on the "other place" but thought some of you here would be interested:
Well I did the unspeakable act of buying something I knew I shouldn't!
An Auction place on the net had a Mark II target pistol & nobody was bidding on it....it was ugly! Someone tried to take off all the blue on a blue gun probably thinking it would look like SS. Why I placed a bid I do not know but it became mine!!!. Too Much For such an ulgy duck!
Well first off Yes it was ugly but on my way home from from my FFL agent, I took it to the range & put 36 shots off hand into a 4 " bull at 25yds,,,,, I don't think I ever did that before.
Well It became my project gun:
I decide that since my funds for this project would be limited . no sending it out for a blue job so since I have the knowledge, I went ahead and did a "rust blue" on it. Yes it was a lot more work but it was all my own time.
It came out pretty good but the barrel is obviously a different type steel then the receiver. The rusting took place at different levels and show a slightly different blue color.
Before Blueing the barrel I spent a lot of time de-leading the bore ( don't think it was ever cleaned) I noticed the muzzle had a dent in the crown and also a gouge inside the bore at that point.
Almost like someone put a screw in it at some point in time. The darn gun shot great when I got it but that really bugged me. So I took it across the street to my good friend who is a machinist. I asked him to face off the barrel to a recessed target muzzle. The recess being deep enough to get rid of the gouge in the rifling Then put a 60 deg crown on the inside face of the rifling.
Unfortunately I had to order 2 *$2.00 parts from Ruger ( Safety Detent Spring & Ball) which ended up costing me $15 with shipping & I ordered 3 Blast shields from Bruce Patza ( one for each of my Ruger Marks) Great price at 3 for $10!
& I rebuilt the rear sight that was really a mess but I was able to salvage all the parts.
I just touched up blued the frame since it only had a few scratches.
Put in my last custom ATM trigger From Numrich and got it all working last night. At about 2 1/2 lbs trigger pull.
Now just to re-sight it in and see how it now shoots. *I removed every little piece from this gun & got it all back & working ( I'm pretty happy about that)
Anyway here are some before & after photos: