Ruger Forum banner

So ticked of at Ruger Im about to pop. Ticked in Texas

9K views 50 replies 43 participants last post by  poppajoe49 
#1 ·
Hello All , I need help
Currently I am so disappointed in Ruger I had to join a forum just to vent. If nothing else to seek sound reasoning to console my broken heart. I have been a diehard Ruger fan all of my life. Owning countless rim and center fire products. I have stood up for Ruger arguing until I was blue in the face about the fine American quality which Ruger once possessed. Which brings to where I am now. I purchased a new MKIII 22/45 a while back. It has been in the safe a year or so. A friend wanted to go practice so I grabbed it as well as a couple others. I was bragging to my bud about this virgin 22 that I had, that needed to be shot. I loaded up, first shot it did not eject. I unloaded, bolt back discovered to the shell to still be in chamber. I popped it out with a screwdriver, changed ammo and repeated with the same result. This time the shell was really stuck. After we enjoyed our shooting adventure and I endured the jabbing about my fine "virgin 22". I took the MKIII back to my office where I was overcome with curiosity, so I started to inspect the 22. I discovered a heavy dent on the back of the barrel, (Don’t get ahead of me; I know the gears are turning). So this indention has caused the bore of the barrel to be smaller wherein not allowing the shell to eject. I disassemble the pistol per the guidelines set forth in the manufactures service instructions. Nothing really looked out of place, so I snagged a MKII and compared the two. That’s right you got it, not only was the firing limit pin out of place, it was out of the gun, missing. One which was never disassembled before that moment mind you. So, I open up the test shell which comes with a new pistol and it shows the same scoring that the other spent shells have shown. That would suggest to me that the pistol was that way at the factory. I called up Ruger and the lady on the other end was great, emailed an ups label and I shipped that day. All was fine and dandy until today. I received a call from Ruger, the one in AZ, informing me that the gun was useless due to the firing pin hitting the barrel. My options are to buy a new gun from them for $270 or receive my old one back, broken. I was floored, as I am right now, still floored. I explained it was brand new; I was told sorry it can’t be fixed and per his supervisors instructions those are my only options. I explained the test shell; he said that was not possible. I said just send it back, because I wont spend another dime with a company that won’t stand behind their product. So I hung up, been in a daze the rest of the day. I have been let down by somebody I thought I could depend on. Am in the wrong? Should I just suck it up and move on? I hate to wander aimlessly forum to forum looking for answers that may never reveal themselves. If I drank I would. What should I do now? Sorry to stink up the forum with such a negative issue, I had no other place to go. I don’t think the guys at the Dodge diesel forum would understand. By the way that is where Goatjunkie – (Dodgelover) came from, I somehow ended up with 4 goats at once.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
Make another phone call, obviously you just spoke to the wrong person..... :eek:

#3 ·
Welcome, good to see another Lone Star State brother! IDK, if I were you I would ask to speak to the supervisor, if that dont work move on up the ladder. Someone has authority to take care of a customer. Send letters, do whatever it takes. Ruger holds its collar up high when it comes to customer service. They'll eventually do something.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum from PA!

Make a phone call and talk to another person, and another, and another until you talk to the person that is LISTENING to what you are saying.

#6 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. Kinda sounds like it was dry-fired......a lot. That's what they saw I guess. I think I would go back to the dealer also.

#7 · (Edited)
As all the others have said keep calling until you reach the right person. Also on Rugers web site you can sent a letter to the CEO. I've never heard of Ruger not standing behind their product like that. It sounds like someone left the firing pin stop pin out. If that's the case and it was done at the factory that gun was toast from the day it left the factory. It's first shot (test shot) was it's last.
Ps welcome to the forum. Keep us posted on how it finally turns out.

#8 ·
First off welcome to the forum from Florida.

What exactly is a firing limit pin? (not trying to be condoning)
If I had to guess you are speaking of the firing pin stop (part # A03500)
From what I understand the MkIII series of pistols is designed in such a way which allows you to safely dry fire it without peening the chamber mouth through use of the firing pin stop.
So from what I understand the factory forgot to install the pin.
In my assessment this is Ruger's fault and as stated above Id try again with customer service.

#10 · (Edited)
You say you bought the gun a while ago and then you say it has been in your safe for a year or so.... So exactly how long have you owned this 22/45 without testing it yourself to see if it was working properly?

I agree with others that you need to call customer service again as your story is the only one I have heard that has not been positive in respect to Ruger standing behind their products.

My children think I have become jaded, but I believe that you have to assume whatever you buy today may have an issue right out of the box. There are just so many units being produced that flawed items can slip through the lines. I think the customer has a responsibility to confirm that their product is working as it should and at the same time the manufacturer has to correct any issues that may be found.

We want the quality of the good old days at a price and availability only possible with today's super high mass production rates. Sometimes these desires can't come together.

Good luck with your 22/45 and next time remember to test a new purchase promptly rather than waiting a year or so...... It will make your life a whole lot less stressful.

#11 ·
Welcome to the forum. Like the others have said, call and call again. Good luck and keep us posted.

#13 ·
Honey-Not vinegar.

Ruger WILL fix this. I know it's frustrating, but hang in there. try the "Tell the CEO" link on their website. Also, their corporate management monitors this site, and my guess is that they will see your plight.

Good luck-Keep us posted.

#16 ·
Thanks for the input guys; I will sleep better tonight knowing that all is not lost. I apologize for some of the incorrect references, IE "firing limit pin" I should have referenced my owner’s manual for correct terminology before venting. I am beginning to agree with jwp721, use it quick as you can. I have always liked to keep things new though, I have some guns that I have never shot and probably never will, just from a collector point of view it seemed like a good plan. I’m not really sure how long I’ve had it somewhere between a while ago and a year or so. Truth is I don’t know, time seems to fly by anymore whether you are having fun or not. I will keep everybody up to date. By the way, I also talked to the dealer I got it from, he said Davidson’s will make it right if Ruger chooses not to, I don’t want to lose faith in Ruger this early in the game. Thanks Again for the words of encouragement. AW

#18 ·
i have a mark III I bought at Christmas that due to weather I have not fired.in the last year i have bought a markII 50 year and a roa that has never been fired and I dont know if i will fire them as i have the mk III and also own a ss 1976 roa that i do shoot.I know many people that collect guns but don't shoot them I have never been 1 of them.I find it hard to believe that the dent would not have been noticed before he shot it.I know that I have always stripped a new gun and cleaned it before using it.I agree that many companies have cheapened their products but I hope ruger is not 1 of them

#25 · (Edited)
According to page 10 of the Mark II manual (ver. A1 & KA1/6-90) (my emphasis):

"If the bolt is assembled without the Firing Pin Stop in place. the first time the pistol is dry fired (no cartridge in the chamber), the firing pin will be free to move forward to the extent that it will dent the rear face of the chamber, thus rendering the Barrel-Receiver Assembly useless and beyond repair, .."

#20 ·
hey there, i had the same exact problem. i purchased my mk3 22/45 few years back and only dry fired it. a year down the road, i noticed the firing pin caused an indentation in front of the chamber causing metal to protrude/peen.
i sent them an email with photos of the damage and noted the gun was new and unfired --only dry fired. They sent me a shipping label and a few wks later, received a letter notifying me ruger will be replacing the firearm and to provide a ffl. icing on the cake was not only did they make it right and replace the firearm, they also reimbursed me the cost of the transfer.
anyway, call them again or email them with photos. personally, i was only in contact with them via 3 emails. first to state the problem, 2nd to provide ffl, 3rd scan copy of ffl fees for reimbursement. good luck

#21 ·
Welcome from AZ.
I stand with the opinion that you use the "Tell the CEO" link on the Ruger website...I would first look to see if you can come up with the receipt on your purchase so you can be accurate with the purchase date. I just can't believe customer service @ Ruger would do such a thing as that. Good luck to you.

#22 ·
If you want to know when you purchased the gun, check with Ruger and/or Davidson's. If you registered the gun when you purchased it, your registration should show the purchase date. Your dealer must have a record of the sale also. Good luck. I think Ruger will make it right for you.

#24 ·
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you're having issues with your pistol and CS. I'm sure Ruger will make it right for you if you talk to the right person the right way.
Everything man made can have flaws. Ruger is great, but not perfect. I've bought 5 new Rugers and never had a problem with them. Your situation is very atypical for Ruger.

Good luck. I hope to see updates. ;)

#26 ·
I don't envy you the aggravation, but I'd really like to know the final outcome of this. Hope you hang in there and follow it through to final resolution. Good luck.

#27 ·
Welcome to the forum...

Contact Mike Fifer. I have a couple times on different issues and I got results fast. He's a great guy and will get to the bottom of this.
I have a Single Six I had for probably about 10 years at the time that I had never fired. On the initial the first cleaning I found from threading the frame for the barrel these deep threading gouges or marks from the tap on the underside of the top back strap. I emailed Mr. Fifer late one evening and the following morning I got a call from the service dept. They took care of it in a very timely manner. Don't give up. Go to the top of the chain of command. Even thought I had the gun for 10 years or so they still sent me a shipping label. Be polite and not pushy you’d be surprise how far that goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.