Ruger Forum banner

Takedown lever issue cause?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  IIDblshotzII 
#1 · (Edited)
I read online that apparantly the cause of the tdl damage was due to the guide spring being on backwards. Has anyone else heard this and able to confirm?

#5 · (Edited)
I think the OP is asking if the issue some of the early owners of the SR22 had with the takedown lever breaking off and allowing the slide to fly off the pistol while shooting was caused by putting the recoil spring in the wrong way.

To answer the question (if that is the ?).... No I have not seen that mentioned anywhere on the web. I have not found anything official regarding the cause of this issue in all my searching. Also after July of last year I have not found anyone that has had the lever break. Seems like there were a few incidents reported in the first 6-7 months of 2012 and then nothing.

As a long time surfer of the web I can say that when a product has an issue that is widespread you will find it everywhere you look. When an early release of a brand new product has a few isolated issues you will find people recycling the same posts over and over and over. An epidemic is not one incident reported multiple times. That seems to be the case with the take down lever in my personal opinion.

If you haven't bought a SR22... Go buy one. If you have one.... Keep shooting, have fun, and be safe.

John

#6 ·
My SR22P has had several thousand rounds through it. The takedown lever is perfect.

I have had absolutely ZERO issues with this gun. None. The perfect companion for my Ruger 10/22 carbine which I have owned for 49 years (literally). If I own the SR22P for 49 years I will be 114 years old. I promise to write back and let you know how its doing.

#8 ·
Mine was one of the early ones. It has "PISTOL" on the slide. I have over 4,000 rounds through mine and haven't had any failure of the TD lever. I did replace the TD lever with the one from Twin Tech Tactical, as cheap insurance. It was $20 or $25, I cant remember, and my limited internet connection at the moment wont load the whole page at Twin Tech, so I cant tell you exactly what I paid.

I didnt want to take the downtime if I had to send my pistol in for repair, and I didnt want to launch my "PISTOL" slide into the gravel at my range if the lever failed, so I simply replaced it with the improved one. My old lever looked just fine, but I dont know if they showed damage before they failed or not.

Twin Tech Tactical

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.