Ruger Forum

Ruger Forum (http://rugerforum.net/forums.php)
-   Hunting (http://rugerforum.net/hunting/)
-   -   Peanut Butter for Deer? (http://rugerforum.net/hunting/61678-peanut-butter-deer.html)

SafetyFirst October 25th, 2012 08:02 AM

Peanut Butter for Deer?

Someone recently told me about using open jars of peanut butter to attract deer. Has anyone here tried this and does it work?

Seneca October 25th, 2012 08:29 AM

Never heard of it...I'd think it would be more likely to attrack bears and squirrels...:)

harryball October 25th, 2012 08:42 AM

Well... just tried it, all I got were dogs. Or am I not suppose to try this while walking the dogs... maybe that's the problem.

I've heard that armadillos, opossum and raccoons like marshmellows... again the dogs ate those.

Found this on ehow
Homemade Deer Bait With Peanut Butter | eHow.com

terry_p October 25th, 2012 09:03 AM

Deer are curious and looking for high fat this time of year so it might work. I wouldn't leave the jar as that has scent on it but spread it on a rock or stump. In 3-4 different places especially along a well used deer trail.

Jtiv19 October 25th, 2012 09:20 AM

I have used Vanilla Extract on cotton balls. Can't be sure if that's why but I got a nice 8 point while doing this.

Never tried peanut butter.

HAWKEN October 25th, 2012 09:24 AM

I think that if you are going to leave an open jar of peanut butter for the deer, you should also leave them a loaf of bread, so they can make a sandwich......Robin

gfw1985 October 25th, 2012 10:02 AM

While it may work and I believe it a component in some "deer blocks". That would be considered "baiting", more than likely illegal in your area, if you would actually be hunting there. Peanut butter is a common bear bait, especially mixed with honey.

Ruger Redhawk October 25th, 2012 11:54 AM

I've heard P'nut butter works but have never tried it for deer. I know squirrels go nuts over it. I’ve used Vanilla extract which works good. I make a solution mixing the extract with water. Then I spray it on a feminine tampon that’s easy to tie to limbs or branches. Tampons works great with any deer attractant.

Mayor Al October 25th, 2012 11:58 AM

Before the big jump in Peanut product costs this year, It might have been a good 'bait-food'. But since the price has gone up so much, I think I would look for cheaper ways to draw in Bambi.

OldCrow October 25th, 2012 12:11 PM

I have got the big Sam's size buckets of peanut butter and used them for deer bait with good results. I would just take an old spatula and wipe some on trees along deer trails. You have to put the peanut butter where deer live. If you put it in areas where there are no deer it won't work.

dV8r October 25th, 2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldCrow (Post 753175)
I have got the big Sam's size buckets of peanut butter and used them for deer bait with good results. I would just take an old spatula and wipe some on trees along deer trails. You have to put the peanut butter where deer live. If you put it in areas where there are no deer it won't work.

So the deer are there with or without the PB. :)
You may as well make yourself a PBJ. :0

grandpabear October 25th, 2012 02:23 PM

Yeh, I've heard that and tried making up a batch one year. I mixed a large jar of crunchy peanut butter and vanilla extract in a small round tub with a bunch of 3/4" holes in it so the stuff would drip out. I hung it about 5 ft. off the ground. It dripped pretty good and does and fawns just loved it. Never seen a buck though. The problem was, with does and fawns hanging out there all the time, I didn't dare move even the slightest for fear of being busted. They would lick at it for awhile and then bed within 15ft. of it and hang out for hours.

trigger creep October 25th, 2012 02:46 PM

I don't know, if I would I'd be in danger of heavy fines though (PA has very harsh fines for baiting)! I'd assume it would attract deer just fine, probably will attract a Bear or two as well.

grandpabear October 25th, 2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trigger creep (Post 753303)
I don't know, if I would I'd be in danger of heavy fines though (PA has very harsh fines for baiting)! I'd assume it would attract deer just fine, probably will attract a Bear or two as well.

I hear ya Trigger. I never said that it was in Pa. that I did that. Good point though.

trigger creep October 25th, 2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandpabear (Post 753320)
I hear ya Trigger. I never said that it was in Pa. that I did that. Good point though.

I was hoping so! I was dialing up the PGC as you posted that! ;)