Ruger Forum banner

Reloading the .32 S&W Long

14K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  guitarman62 
#1 ·
I've been reloading the .32 S&W long with Hornady 90Gr. LSWC with fairly good results. I want to swithch to The Missouri Bullet Company 100 GR. .313 dia. LRNFP bullet. The problem is the loading data for this projectle is really scarce. I have found only one or two, and most is for the 98 gr projectle. If anyone has some info they would like to share I would appreciate it.:D

#6 ·
Gray wolf;
When you ask for loading data, it is always helpful to mention which revolver it is intended. As a for instance, the .32 S&W L break open revolvers are relatively weak designs that would fall apart at loads a Ruger Single Six will digest without complaint.

I am a fan of .32's. I have several different platforms (S&W 631 with 4" barrel and adjustable sights, an S&W 16-4 with 6" barrel, and a Ruger SP101 with 4" barrel). I got my first .32 magnums when they were introduced. Right after Federal introduced the caliber, they stopped ALL component sales to customers. Here we were with new revolvers and NO brass. I bought Federal factory loads to use the brass and the brass was absolute JUNK. I would get several split cases every time I fired a box of fifty. I have since fired the revolvers thousands of times and without ANY problems with brass after a commercial loader friend offered me several thousand .32 S&W Long cases at a VERY attractive price (they were once fired).

At any rate, I fortunately discovered that the .32 S&W Long cases worked very well with all of my revolvers.

At first, I used mostly bulk packaged Hornady HBWC's. Simple target loads that gave little recoil and worked just fine on edible small game (squirrels and rabbits as well as the occasional grouse). I really didn't need fire breathing loads from my .32's.

Eventually, I bought a group buy mould from the Cast Boolit forum for a 100 gr Keith bullet and that has become my standard bullet for these guns whether target loads in S&W Long cases or heavier loads in .32 Mag brass.

My volume load is 2.8 grs of 231. I have not chronographed this load but it works well and is well within the pressure ranges these three revolvers are safe with (for continuous use) when using .32 S&W Long cases.

Ed Harris (former Ruger engineer and NRA Technician) recommends up to 2.5 grs of Bullseye with the similar Saeco 95 gr SWC;

My load exceeds SAAMI standards but should be safe in any modern revolver chambered for the .32 S&W Long or .32 H&R Magnum. At least, any modern Smith, Ruger, or Colt revolver made after 1950.

As always, start low, work up, and you are on your own.

Dale53

#7 ·
Sorry, I misread your post...no 100g info available there.

BTW, I will pick up my new SP 101 .327 Fed mag tomorrow. This is my first experience with .32 caliber and I've been looking for load data too. Just ordered a "Loadbook" from Midway for 32 H&R Mag. (Loadbooks USA "32 H&R Magnum" Reloading Manual - MidwayUSA). Unfortunately, neither they nor Amazon.com seem to carry one for .32 long, .32 S&W, or .327 Federal magnum.

I use these Loadbook USA books for 38, 357, 44 mag, 44 spl and 44 Russian and they are very handy. Each book includes load data from several bullet manufacturers and offers several good cross references for given bullet weights.

Might be some help there if you can find one.

#8 ·
My Lee book has data for 98gr lead bullet and wad cutters. It is copyrighted material so I can't post it, but if you have a favorite powder PM me and I am willing to share.

Dale - I love my 32 H&R and have purchased Starline brass from midwayusa for it. It goes in and out of stock with them.

#9 ·
I have begun loading the S&W .32 long using 100gr LRN. I used new RP brass, CCI sm pistol primers, 100 gr LRN from Maplewood bullets and 2.4 grs. of Bullseye. I beleive I seat at 1.264. This is in a solid frame revolver not a break open. Great accuracy and no signs of over pressure in the case or the gun. Does cause a more snappy recoil though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.