Ruger Forum banner

Looking for a hard cast 357 bullet

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  trainking 
#1 ·
Does anybody have a good source for a 357 caliber 180 gr or 200 gr?
I would prefer a gas checked bullet to use in a 357 Maximum.
Everything I am finding is the cost of a jacketed bullet.

Thank you!

#8 ·
There are many quality commercial casters available https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=cast bullets for sale but I would suggest you research the individual's bullets. Cast bullets can be too hard and the lube is often meant to stay in the grooves during shipping with little regard to how it preforms in your gun. Make sure the caster can supply bullets of a diameter to fit your gun (some casters offer several different diameters per each bullet). I have purchased a fw cast bullets normally so I can try a design before I buy a molc as I cast my own and have hade excellent results with Bear Tooth Bullets and Acme Bullets... https://www.beartoothbullets.com/ Acme Bullet Company - Wisconsin

#9 ·
1) You don't need a gas check for .357 Mag. You don't need a gas check for .44 Mag.
2) Be sure you have some idea of the right size lead bullet. Read the following:
Chapter 7 - The Cast Bullet Nemesis - Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners - Glen E. Fryxell
It can save a lot of problems. Basically, you want the bullets to be a snug slip-fit in the cylinder's throats and be AT LEAST 0.001" over actual groove diameter. So, you need to determine the throats' diameters and the barrel's groove diameter.
3) You don't need HARD cast bullets for .357 Mag.
4) I like mastercastbullets.com, Missouri Bullets, and Penn Bullets. You can get coated bullets from Missouri and Bayou and others.
5) If you absolutely want gas check bullets, they will cost you since gas checks are stupidly expensive, require a mold that has a gas check base (not a standard Magma cast bullet mold) and installation is an additional step.

#10 ·
1) You don't need a gas check for .357 Mag. You don't need a gas check for .44 Mag.
Gas Checks take away some of the demand for precise sizing.

Bullet weight takes the demand off velocity.

Penn it appears has come full cycle on the GC feature for the 200gr bullet. The combination of reduced volume to bullet length, and increased weight, limit the bullet speed to about 1000fps, maybe 1100fps with a longer barrel. I recall the GC feature was added to let the T/C guys with a 10"-14" barrel get past that limit. With a 4" barrel, the case will not hold enough 2400 or W296 to get much past 900fps or so. One other aspect of that bullet design, is that some cases will pick up a bulge when seated deep enough to put a crimp on board. Federal and Starline brass were not suitable in my SP101 or 77/357, both with very tight chambers. My NMBH with gaping bucket chambers were NP.

The 180gr bullet is a better choice for most purposes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.