Ruger Forum banner

You can rationalize anything

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Mulebuk Sam 
#1 ·
This afternoon I was out shopping and I was looking at the .22 LR shelf at my local big box sporting goods store. I was trying to decide between buying a bunch of the cheap stuff, or half as much of the "good" stuff for twice the price.

I decided the cheap stuff was a false economy. The other day at the range, I was shooting at chips of broken up shotgun clays, and I noticed it was taking me two shots on average to hit each chip. This was with bulk .22LR. So I switched to some Eley Club that I had bought for twice as much per round as the bulk stuff. Immediately I found I was hitting almost every chip on the first try. I was having more fun, too. I WISH my rifle "liked" the cheap stuff, but alas it seems to know when I'm feeding it higher quality ammo.

#2 ·
I have always considered 'quality' to be more important that 'quantity' when it comes to gun-stuff!

The old adage, 'You get what you pay for...' comes to mind!

#3 ·
ditto1958, I have the same opinion .... quality versus quantity. I do shoot cheap bulk pack 22 ammo because I have a lot of it .... but when I want to get serious, I break out the good stuff (Wolf Target Match). I grin a lot more when my groups are tiny.

#5 ·
Ditto, and Lowegan, ya both got that right, however I've got some of the older Federal bulk packs ( purchased about 20+ years ago for like $9.95 a pack) that seem to be just about as good as the high dollar stuff. Go figure, note it also depends on which .22RF rifle you're shooting them in.

#9 ·
Bulk ammo of 20+ years ago was better stuff than the bulk of today. Case in point, a brick of 30 year old Winchester Wildcats shoots better than any bulk ammo I can find now, and it was $10 a brick when I bought it.

#6 ·
i have uses for bulk. my single 10 is a dedicated point shooing gun. at ranges under 10 yards i don't think you need good ammo.
for hunting, i use cci sv, to get bunnies at 50 yards.
for serious bulls eye work, my 22/45 does best with wolf match.
yeah, i'd prefer to just buy wolf, but it never goes under 11 cents/round.
i can get bulk under 6 cents, delivered.

#12 ·
You can rationalize anything
Some of the greatest b.s. out here has been rationalized and those who lie through their teeth with a straight face have rationalized in some way.

What you are talking about doesn't need any rationalization because it makes sense.

I discovered something myself earlier in the week when I broke in my new LCR. Which is why I'm here chiming in on your thread. I bought top tear quality ammo in .357 magnum and middle of the road in .38 special and it wasn't until I got home that it dawn on me and not until after I clean the gun up.

I saw no muzzle flash with the magnums and a little with the .38's, smelled very little lead and only hand to use once patch on the bore after the brush.
OH yeah, Big difference and to me worth the added cost.

I once shot some junk un-jacketed Federal Eagle at an indoor range and was tasting lead for 2 days after and the crud left in the gun could have ignited the coals on a barbecue. But if you listed to 'ole hickok45 with his free stash of Federal you'd think that garbage was good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.