Ruger Forum banner

IMR Hi Skor 700x for .357 ?

17K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Mavrick 
#1 ·
Is this a decent powder (Hi-Skor 700x) for .357 magnum reloads ? I was given a free jug of it and I'm TOTALLY NEW to reloading. I figured best to ask lots of questions before using it. I have searched the internet far and wide for recipes for this powder and have only found ones for rifle loads. I am shooting a SP101 snubbie and my projectiles are 125gn Rem JSP's.
Powder is scarce in my neck of the woods and ordering online is WAY expensive (which I'm sure all of you already know), so if it can be used, I'd like to use it.
Any advice or suggestions for a powder suitable for my needs if the 700x is a bad idea ?

thanks!

#2 ·
WT, I don't load with this powder but web search finds plenty of support for its use as a handgun cartridge powder. For instance one reloading specialty site says: "IMR (Formerly Du Pont) HI-SKOR 700X - A clean-burning, double-base powder, this propellant is useful for a wide range of handgun and rifle cartridges." Go to this link for a powder equivalent table to help find a starting load and progress from there: http://www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/equivalents.asp .

Good luck! JimH

#3 ·
Hello WildTurkey, Use 38 Special data for 700X. Skimming through my manuals, Hornady, Lyman and Lee all list 38 loads with this powder. Lee does list a couple 357 loads with 700X, but I only see data for the lighter weight bullets. This powder burns too fast for optimum magnum velocities. But having said that, its one of my favorites for non-magnum loads. It's very clean burning.

Lee gives a MAX load of 6.2 grains with a 125gr Jacketed bullet at 1070fps with a pressure of 36000CUP for 357 Mag.
Repeat: a MAX load of 6.2 grains w/ 125 Jacketed.
Personally, I'd start out around the mid 5.0's. Max loads for 38 Spcl are 3.3 grains.
Hope this helps. JL

#5 ·
Alliant 2400, Win 296 and Hogdon 110 are the "go to" powders for magnum loads. FYI, 296 & H110 are ball powders that can be unsafe if used in reduced quantities from the published data. Magnum primers are usually recommended for these powders. 800X is slower burning than 700X, but not as slow as the above mentioned. I'd still keep the 700X, you'll find it useful. JL

#7 ·
I've used IMR800X in 357 mag and it shoots well. The down side of it as already mentioned is that it being a large flake powder it does not meter well. When I use it to load with I use the Lee scoops and all charges are dropped on the scale and then I trickle up to the target weight. I do not shoot it in large volumes so that works for me. When I finish this can I will probably not buy any more as I believe there are other powders that perform equal to it and will meter well. I would never suggest anyone new to reloading to start with IMR800X. Stick with the 700X and be careful not to get a double charge of powder. The Hodgdon Reloading Data Center has a wide range of loads using IMR700X in the 357 mag. Here is a link to that site if you want to look.
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
Cary

#9 ·
SR7625 is also too fast, might as well use the 700X. Every reloading manual has a "Relative Burn Rate" chart (you should also be able to find a reliable one online). This is simply a list of commercial powders listed from fastest to slowest (the charts usually list around 100 powder types). I'm looking at page 402 on the Lyman 48th, that lists 97 powders. The "sweet spot" for the 357 mag could start with Blue Dot, then 2400, AA#9, VV N110, H110, Win296, SR4759, VV N120, IMR4227. Blue Dot being the fastest and IMR4227 the slowest, with H110/Win296 usually being the most optimal. JL

#10 ·
JLeslie, We have a lot of resources right here on the Ruger Forum that are located in the Library. A Smokeless Powder Burn Rate Chart is included. See: http://www.rugerforum.net/showthread.php?t=7664

WildTurkey, The powders listed by JLeslie are all good for magnum level loads. If you want mid-range loads that perform more like a 38 Special +P, try some W-231, Unique, AA#5. Your 700X will also work for mid-range loads in the 900-1000 fps range and is especially good for 158 gr lead bullets .... just don't try to get magnum velocities with 700X or you will exceed max chamber pressure.

#12 ·
I don't own a .357, but I've done a lot of loading for the .41 Magnum. How does that relate? I'll show you.
I was shooting competition shotgun, trap, in particular. I was buying powder by the 12pound container. 700X was my powder of choice. When I cut back, I had a lot of powder left. I had been using Bullseye and WW231 with 210gr cast boolits. (Try and find data for THAT!) When I started using 700X, I started casting a lighter (170gr) boolit. I kept my velocities around the 750-900fps range. The idea is to load an easy to shoot "popper" and have fun.
Shooting a lightweight (125gr should be fine) practice load from your .357 with 700X should be lots of fun. If you can get hold of some cast 125gr, you will keep the price WAY down.
If you decide to go to 800X, think of it as Unique...The velocities will be higher, say in the 900-1100fps range, with the125's, or even with 158's.
As several have said, it's not easy to measure(using a measure, or scoops) but with a little practice and using a scale to good value, you'll do just fine.
The guys here are good, and knowledgeable, but it's a good idea to get help from somebody nearby, maybe with a chronograph, as a mentor.
Have fun,
Gene

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.