Ruger Forum banner

44 Mag Light Load

21K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  freedom45 
#1 ·
Hi,
I would like some suggestions for a mild loads for 44 mag cases.
I will be using 240 gr cast bullets. Thanks, Foy

#3 ·
Shooting lead bullets in a 44 Mag is quite a challenge. First, the factory does a good job of optimizing the guns for jacketed bullets. That means the throats are right at .429" .... too tight for lead bullets. The good news is ... chamber pressures run quite a bit higher than a 45 Colt so you can use harder bullets.

I have one 44 Mag 7.5" SBH dedicated for lead bullets where I opened up the cylinder throats to .4305". With soft lead Speer LSWCs, .430", 240 gr bullets, I can shoot 7 gr of Unique (powder puff load) and get right at 900 fps with minimal leading and excellent accuracy. With hard cast 240 gr .430" SWC bullets, I have to up the charge weight to 11 gr of Unique. They run about 1300 fps and are also accurate with minimum fouling. I've tried these same loads in my other 44 Mag guns (factory throats) and found they fouled pretty bad after a couple cylinders full. Accuracy was good for the first dozen rounds then groups started opening up as the bore got fouled. I've also tried .429" lead bullet in these guns. Accuracy was poor and I still got nasty fouling.

#4 · (Edited)
I bought a new SBH in stainless that HAS to have .430 throats. The .430 bullets pass through its throats easier than they do through the custom 44 Special that I have that was "made to use .430 bullets." I think those loads that you mention would be PERFECT for that SBH, and I just happen to have some of those very Speer LSWC bullets!

And Unique. Which, it looks like I really should buy some more of that. Looks like it is going to be my go-to powder.

#5 ·
Thanks, Gentlemen,
Can you give me a powder puff load for a jacketed bullet, I not an expert reloader, I didn't think of the leading problem. I have some 180gr. jhp on hand. but any suggestion for bullet and powder would be appreciated. I am still going to give the cast bullet a try.
Thanks, Foy

#26 ·
+1 on this load; I have used it in an S47 for twenty years with total satisfaction. In fact, here is an observation:

Whether 41 Mag, 44-40, 44 Mag or 45 Colt, 7 to 8 gr of Unique with std bullet weight, cast or jacketed, produce superb accuracy and are mild enough for a full day's worth of shooting.

Another great powder for puffer loads is Trail Boss, designed specifically for cast bullets. 180gr cast .4295, RP, WLP, 7gr Trail Boss is mild enough that any one of my 16 grandkids (youngest is 5) can shoot it without flinching. And it is accurate (10 shots, 15yds, offhand, 2" or less). Fun.

#8 ·
I really like the idea of using published data, and I really like Hodgdon for providing it free!
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
Alliant (formerly Hercules) also offers data in PDF format:
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Index.htm
I used to have a stainless SBH that was the best shooting hogleg I had ever seen, using hard cast 240 SWC and 8 gr. of Unique.
Stainless guns are especially suited for lead bullets, because the bore can be completely de-leaded using good ol' hydrogen peroxide. Just plug the forcing cone with a used foam earplug, tip the barrel up, and fill 'er up. Let sit for 30 minutes or so, and drain. Repeat as necessary, and swab dry until the bore is shiny. DO NOT do this with a blued barrel, as the steel will be etched.
As always, make doubly sure that you never throw a double charge with these reduced loads. Many a SBH has been blown apart because of this.

#9 ·
Average Joe, I agree with using published loads only I would recommend using the latest reloading manuals. My favorites are Speer #14 and Hornady 7th Ed. Most of the loads provided by Alliant use old data with crusher testing methods. The newer manuals have loads that have been pressure tested with modern piezo transducers. The easy way to determine old from new is when pressures are stated in CUP, it is old crusher method data. The new pressure data is stated in psi. Many of Alliant's loads are way too hot. Besides, they only show loads using their own powders (Winchester and Alliant), which isn't bad if it's free.

The old crusher method did not react fast enough to detect pressure spikes so they were more of an educated guess. Loads with the new peizo transducer system show all pressure spikes in actual psi and is not only more accurate but is also much safer because the pressure spikes are what demo a gun.

#11 ·
Yesterday I shot a dozen of my own .44 Mag Light loads.
200 grain lead flat nose, 10 grains Blue Dot. I can't claim its an ideal load at all, but it was notably lighter than Magtech 240 gr.

Now that I got my bottle of Red Dot, I'll switch to that for my 200 gr light loads. Anyone care to recommend a load of Red Dot for 1000 fps 200 grain lead RNFP.

#12 ·
razadp, Red Dot powder isn't a very good application for light target loads with bullets that are "light for caliber". The manuals do list a few loads with 240 gr lead bullets but I couldn't find anything for 200 gr bullets. Typically with fast burning powders like Red Dot, light bullets tend to be pushed out of the case before the powder gets good ignition. That means you will likely have powder flakes blown into the bore that didn't ignite. The velocity from shot-to-shot will be erratic because of irregular ignition.

You will find medium burn rate powders are much better for light loads with light bullets. AA#5 or Unique are two of the best. Blue Dot is a fairly slow burning powder that isn't well suited for light loads either.

#15 ·
I've had good luck with 7.1 grains of Winchester 231, Winchester LP primers and 240 LSWC's. 231 meters better than Unique and gives much more consistent loads if you use a powder measure. From a 4" Redhawk it gave me 920 fps. Accuracy was good at 25 yds., sub 2" groups from a rest.
Best Regards,
ADP3

#16 ·
I use Unique with both the 240 SWC's and with the 180 grain jacketed bullets.

With Unique, I usually get around 900 fps with the cast bullets and around 1100 with the jacketed bullets.

I have also used Blue Dot, but usually for loads 100-200 fps faster than mentioned above.

#17 · (Edited)
Unique (light) and 2400 (hot) has always been my powders for reloading .44, .357, and .45 . But started using Trail Boss in .45 and really like it, so will be loading my .45 'normal' loads with it for the forseeable future.

Anyway, I use 7 grains of Unique under 240g SWC in the .44 . Seems to work well. Going to try Trail Boss next for light loads. Fill that .44 case up :) . See the following link here for load data.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

#18 ·
Newbi to Ruger, but have been reloading for a 44mag S&W for several years. 22 grains of Accurate XMP 5744 with a 240gr swc is an accurate and very comfortable load to shoot. My favorite load uses Hodgdons Clays. I won't list it here because it violates one of the rules of safe reloading; it is a tiny charge in a large case. You could double or triple charge with this load and not notice. It is listed on the Hodgdon site, and is very soft and accurate.
Ed

#25 ·
Hi - I just joined the group last night and this topic caught my interest. I have just started to cast and shoot cast bullets. I have a SS Vaquero w/7 1/2" barrel in .44 mag. and a new (less than a month) NMSBH SS w/4 5/8" barrel also in .44 mag. I just checked my cylinder throats and using a Hornady 240 gr. 430 HP/XT bullet the throats are all the same size. The bullet drops through easily with no play. My Lee .430 240 gr. SWC bullet drops through but a tad tighter. I have slugged the barrel on the Vaquero and it is .429. My leading is managable. Accuracy doesn't seem affected during a sesson of 40 - 50 rounds and a chore boy with Kroil cleans it right up.

I usually load 9 gr. of Unique for most shooting. For a hunting load I will go up to 10 gr.

Grampie not Grumpie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.