Ruger Forum

Beretta 92A1 vs CZ 75 SP01

This is a discussion on Beretta 92A1 vs CZ 75 SP01 within the Pistols & Revolvers forums, part of the Pistol & Revolver Forum category; I am looking into a full sized DA/SA pistol in 9mm and have 17+ round capacity. I have narrowed my search down to these 2 ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Pistols & Revolvers

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old August 31st, 2011, 07:57 PM   #1
The Greek
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Springfield, Ohio
Posts: 776
spartan1039x is on a distinguished road
Beretta 92A1 vs CZ 75 SP01

I am looking into a full sized DA/SA pistol in 9mm and have 17+ round capacity. I have narrowed my search down to these 2 pistols. I have experience with Beretta's from the Army and I own a CZ P-07 so I am familiar with both. What it comes down to now is accumulating information on both in regards to accuracy, reliability, and accessories. Both pistols appear neck-and-neck in these regards from what I have read and so I am here in search of more information.



spartan1039x is offline  
Advertisements
Old August 31st, 2011, 08:05 PM   #2
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: California
Posts: 359
waggie is on a distinguished road
I have a Beretta M9A1 which I have had no problems whatsoever. It has performed flawlessly since I have owned it. I live in the republic of California so I can only have 10 round magazines. Thats my opinion.
waggie is offline  
Old August 31st, 2011, 08:11 PM   #3
 
The Rifleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The hills of Missouri
Posts: 1,013
The Rifleman is on a distinguished road
I have heard the CZ is accurate.
The Rifleman is offline  
Old August 31st, 2011, 08:54 PM   #4
Retired Gunsmith
 
Iowegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Blair, NE
Posts: 8,817
Iowegan has a spectacular aura aboutIowegan has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase

spartan1039x, I owned a Beretta 92 FS for quite a few years and shot it a lot. It is a very high quality pistol, reasonably accurate, and functioned quite well. After reading about the CZ-75B, about a year ago I decided to buy one. I really wanted a stainless steel model but all I could find was a blued 75B. Long story short ... my shooting buddy now owns the Beretta and I bought three more CZ-75s ... a stainless steel 75B, a Cold War Commemorative 75B, and a CZ75 P-01 Duty. I don't really care for the "Duty' ... too small and I'm not fond of polymer frames. The Commemorative is just a safe queen and hasn't been fired.

Both the blued and stainless CZ-75Bs shoot great ... a little better accuracy than I could get with the Beretta and I've yet to have a malfunction of any sort with ether gun. I really like the "all steel" construction .... no polymer or aluminum alloys, though a bit heavier in the holster. The biggest selling feature for me was the thumb safety. Being an old 1911 guy, I got used to carrying "cocked and locked" and really dislike DA first shot from a draw, then SA. All CZ75 models can be carried with a round chambered, the hammer cocked, and the safety on. All shots from the first to the last are fired in the SA mode, just like a 1911, however, you can carry it with the hammer down and use it like a conventional DA/SA pistol. Except for the EAA (CZ clones), I think the CZs are the only DA/SA pistols that have this feature.

There is more aftermarket support for Berettas; however, there is also a good assortment of magazines, grips, and sights for the CZs but you may have to order them.

I have nothing against Berettas ... I just think the CZ-75Bs are better suited for my wants and needs. You can't go wrong with either.
Iowegan is offline  
Old August 31st, 2011, 09:15 PM   #5
The Greek
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Springfield, Ohio
Posts: 776
spartan1039x is on a distinguished road
Thanks Iowegan! Your word most certainly holds weight around here and for good reason. The primary intended use of this pistol would range and home defense in that order and I might try getting into some sort of competition shooting and so accuracy and mag capacity are more important than weight as I don't plan on carrying it. Any thoughts?
spartan1039x is offline  
Old August 31st, 2011, 10:53 PM   #6
Retired Gunsmith
 
Iowegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Blair, NE
Posts: 8,817
Iowegan has a spectacular aura aboutIowegan has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase

spartan1039x, I don't buy guns for looks ... I buy them for function. I think both the Beretta 92 and CZ-75B look pretty nice. I don't like the squared trigger guard on the P-07 Duty and I don't have much love for an accessory rail.

For a "house gun" and especially a range gun, the CZ-75B's extra weight is an advantage ... less recoil and faster recovery. Ammo capacity is 16+1 for the CZ-75B and 15+1 for the Beretta ... not that one round makes much difference.

There's really not much to add ... as I said before, you really can't go wrong with either one. I must say ... I like the CZ-75B much better than the Beretta but the next guy will say just the opposite.
Iowegan is offline  
Old August 31st, 2011, 11:00 PM   #7
 
9mmManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NOLA
Posts: 569
9mmManiac is on a distinguished road
This is a problem I have been dealing with for about a month now. I decided on the CZ-75B but have had trouble finding it locally. I wouldn't pass up a nice Beretta though if I can get my LGS to get into the 5s. The SP-01 is a nice gun but it is a lot heavier than either o the other guns mentioned.
9mmManiac is offline  
Old September 1st, 2011, 03:18 AM   #8
 
ShipWreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Beretta City, Texas
Posts: 599
ShipWreck is on a distinguished road
I like the 92A1 so much that I have two of that model. Fantastic gun

ShipWreck is offline  
Old September 1st, 2011, 04:06 AM   #9
 
SafetyFirst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,813
SafetyFirst is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan1039x View Post
Thanks Iowegan! Your word most certainly holds weight around here and for good reason. The primary intended use of this pistol would range and home defense in that order and I might try getting into some sort of competition shooting and so accuracy and mag capacity are more important than weight as I don't plan on carrying it. Any thoughts?
If you might get into competitions then also consider the CZ 85 combat. Just like the 75B but with adjustable sights, adjustable trigger, drop free mag, and extended mag release.
SafetyFirst is offline  
Old September 1st, 2011, 06:00 AM   #10
 
elrondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,554
elrondo is on a distinguished road
Have a 92fs and the CZ75b both are good guns But fit and finish are better on the 92 and I think resale would be better on the 92 also ( if I ever sell anything) I bought the 75 new last month for 440 new and put new grips and wollf springs on shoots great.
elrondo is offline  
Old September 1st, 2011, 09:17 AM   #11
Moderator
 
BuckJM53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 11,977
BuckJM53 has a spectacular aura aboutBuckJM53 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan1039x View Post
.... What it comes down to now is accumulating information on both in regards to accuracy, reliability, and accessories. Both pistols appear neck-and-neck in these regards from what I have read and so I am here in search of more information.
Spartan ... As you have already pointed out, this is a "neck & neck" proposition so ultimately this will come down to what feels best in your hand and meets your overall needs as both are well built, durable & accurate guns.

With that said, for me the CZ75b is the better choice for the following reasons:
1. The 75b grip fits my hand much better (92FS was a bit large and bulky for my taste). I added the Hogue grip and like it even better.
2. I prefer the 75b slide stop design over the 92FS locking block design.
3. The 75b felt more balanced to me (the 92FS felt a bit light on top).
4. It's a tack driver. My 75b will easily hold sub 1" 5 shot off hand groups at 7 - 10 yards, which makes it the most accurate of all my current 9mms. YMMV

BuckJM53 is offline  
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:01 AM   #12
The Greek
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Springfield, Ohio
Posts: 776
spartan1039x is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckJM53 View Post
Spartan ... As you have already pointed out, this is a "neck & neck" proposition so ultimately this will come down to what feels best in your hand and meets your overall needs as both are well built, durable & accurate guns.

With that said, for me the CZ75b is the better choice for the following reasons:
1. The 75b grip fits my hand much better (92FS was a bit large and bulky for my taste). I added the Hogue grip and like it even better.
2. I prefer the 75b slide stop design over the 92FS locking block design.
3. The 75b felt more balanced to me (the 92FS felt a bit light on top).
4. It's a tack driver. My 75b will easily hold sub 1" 5 shot off hand groups at 7 - 10 yards, which makes it the most accurate of all my current 9mms. YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowegan View Post
spartan1039x, I don't buy guns for looks ... I buy them for function. I think both the Beretta 92 and CZ-75B look pretty nice. I don't like the squared trigger guard on the P-07 Duty and I don't have much love for an accessory rail.

For a "house gun" and especially a range gun, the CZ-75B's extra weight is an advantage ... less recoil and faster recovery. Ammo capacity is 16+1 for the CZ-75B and 15+1 for the Beretta ... not that one round makes much difference.

There's really not much to add ... as I said before, you really can't go wrong with either one. I must say ... I like the CZ-75B much better than the Beretta but the next guy will say just the opposite.
Iowegan: The 75 SP-01 has a 19+1 capacity, I like the 75B however I am more interested in the SP-01 for it's increased capacity and squared trigger guard (that is where I rest my index finger on my left hand lol).
BuckJM53: Both feel great in my hand, both have features I like and can't think of anything I dislike lol. Hence why I am in a search for first hand information about both pistols.
spartan1039x is offline  
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:18 AM   #13
 
9mmManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NOLA
Posts: 569
9mmManiac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan1039x View Post
Iowegan: The 75 SP-01 has a 19+1 capacity, I like the 75B however I am more interested in the SP-01 for it's increased capacity and squared trigger guard (that is where I rest my index finger on my left hand lol).
BuckJM53: Both feel great in my hand, both have features I like and can't think of anything I dislike lol. Hence why I am in a search for first hand information about both pistols.
CZ-75 models have squared trigger guard too....
Also, with a 16+1 capacity you are pretty close to your 17 round desire. Have you handled these guns? Like I said the SP-01 stands apart from the other two to me due to it's increased weight.
9mmManiac is offline  
Old September 1st, 2011, 11:45 AM   #14
Retired Gunsmith
 
Iowegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Blair, NE
Posts: 8,817
Iowegan has a spectacular aura aboutIowegan has a spectacular aura about

Awards Showcase

spartan1039x, Yes, the SP-01 does hold 19 rounds but I sure wouldn't let that affect my decision when considering other high capacity pistols. Besides, the grip frame is longer and the magazine hangs out of the butt a half inch farther than a 75B, which I don't like. Tactical courses of fire are more than 20 rounds ... so you will have to reload no matter what which one you choose. As 9mmManiac mentioned, the CZ-75B also has a place for your left index finger and it is way more holster friendly. I have the smaller P-07 Duty with the squared trigger guard and I don't like it. Holsters made for this sized pistol will not fit ... no room for the trigger guard. That means you have to order a holster specifically made for a squared trigger guard ... hard to find, not many choices. If you compete in tactical competition, you will need a holster ... just something to think about.
Iowegan is offline  
Old September 1st, 2011, 12:33 PM   #15
 
mlk18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 364
mlk18 is on a distinguished road
Having owned both I would recommend the Beretta. My CZ was accurate and reliable but was not of the same build quality as the 92 series Beretta. Nor did it seem to balance as well for me. There's just something about the way the Beretta feels in the hand.

And IIRC MecGar makes 17 round flush fit mags for the Beretta as well as +2 extensions. Which means you can easily replicate the 19+1 capacity if you wanted to.
mlk18 is offline  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Pistols & Revolvers



Search tags for this page
beretta 92 vs cz 75
,
beretta 92a1 vs cz
,
beretta 92a1 vs cz sp 01
,
beretta 92fs vs cz sp-01
,
beretta 9mm vs cz
,
beretta 9mm vs cz 9mm
,
cz 75 sp 01 vs beretta 92a1
,
cz 75 sp-01 shadow vs 92a1
,

cz 75 sp01 vs beretta 92a1

,
cz sp 01 vs sig 226 vs beretta 92a1
,
cz vs beretta
,
cz75b vs beretta 92a1
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yes, ANOTHER Beretta - I can't help myself... ShipWreck Pistols & Revolvers 79 October 19th, 2012 04:09 PM
Beretta 21A Charlee37 Gun Gallery 15 December 28th, 2011 11:20 PM
New toy - Beretta 92G BuckeyeBlast Pistols & Revolvers 15 July 11th, 2011 04:47 PM
Beretta Tom Cat bristol CCW 14 February 21st, 2011 09:32 AM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List  
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2014 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.