Ruger Forum

1911 prices?

This is a discussion on 1911 prices? within the Pistols & Revolvers forums, part of the Pistol & Revolver Forum category; Can someone please explain why on God's green earth are 1911's so darn expensive? There really isn't much different than most other firearms ... looking ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Pistols & Revolvers

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old November 30th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #1
John deer, dead Doe
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,147
JohnDoe is on a distinguished road
1911 prices?

Can someone please explain why on God's green earth are 1911's so darn expensive? There really isn't much different than most other firearms ...

looking at gunbroker, other auction sites and classifieds; there's 10's of thousands for sale new/used and NO BIDS ... just on gunbroker alone there's 8000 with only a handful with bids, and those are either one offs, special editions or hard to find collector models ... yet the rest are priced like full retail for USED

what commands such pricing?



JohnDoe is offline  
Advertisements
Old December 1st, 2010, 05:07 AM   #2
JAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 703
JAS is on a distinguished road
One possibility is that these are guns that people bought in the early stages of the Obama gun panic. They probably over-paid for them and now hope to get their money back. I have some friends like that.

Some also might think the demand is still as great as it was and are trying to capitalize on it.

Just a thought ...
JAS is offline  
Old December 1st, 2010, 05:45 AM   #3
John deer, dead Doe
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,147
JohnDoe is on a distinguished road
JAS, maybe, over-paid and now need the money??? ... it's just crazy to think they can get full retail for a mass produced pistol they pumped 100's of rounds down range with ...
JohnDoe is offline  
Old December 1st, 2010, 07:02 AM   #4
JAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 703
JAS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
JAS, maybe, over-paid and now need the money??? ... it's just crazy to think they can get full retail for a mass produced pistol they pumped 100's of rounds down range with ...
I agree.

The next step in the process might be when their buyer's remorse gets worse and they start asking reasonable or cheap prices for their impulse purchases.

There's a local gunshop that seems to think they own the only firearms in the western hemisphere.
JAS is offline  
Old December 1st, 2010, 07:08 AM   #5
John deer, dead Doe
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,147
JohnDoe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
There's a local gunshop that seems to think they own the only firearms in the western hemisphere.
+5

we have a DOZEN or so around here, including pawnshops that think everything they have is solid gold LOL
JohnDoe is offline  
Old December 1st, 2010, 07:40 AM   #6
USA
 
USA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 28
USA is on a distinguished road
1911's are top notch pistols made by almost all firearm companies. To name a couple of companies which set the standard for all others are Kimber, Springfield Armory and Colt. A 1911 hardly ever loses it's value if keep in good condition. There is nothing like the crisp, short, airy pull of a 1911. To answer your question.. well I don't think I or anyone else would have to answer it once you have shot a 1911!
USA is offline  
Old December 1st, 2010, 07:47 AM   #7
John deer, dead Doe
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,147
JohnDoe is on a distinguished road
USA,
oh I get the whole 1911 thing, the Army helped "convince" me of it's "value". BUT that is "subjective". 1911 owners can place whatever price tag they want, that doesn't mean the market will bare out in their favor, as evidence search gunbroker and dozens of other auction sites
JohnDoe is offline  
Old December 1st, 2010, 08:07 AM   #8
USA
 
USA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 28
USA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
USA,
oh I get the whole 1911 thing, the Army helped "convince" me of it's "value". BUT that is "subjective". 1911 owners can place whatever price tag they want, that doesn't mean the market will bare out in their favor, as evidence search gunbroker and dozens of other auction sites
I have searched them many times before. Many people don't purchase guns over the internet; especially used! people DO pay those prices for the 1911 though... No one is making them
USA is offline  
Old December 1st, 2010, 08:21 AM   #9
 
Maximumbob54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: JAX, FL
Posts: 3,126
Maximumbob54 is on a distinguished road

Awards Showcase

It has always been my understanding that 1911's have more machined parts, require more quality parts (minimum amount of stamped parts, MIM parts, lower quality steel parts, etc.), and to top it off if you want one to look good then you have to keep ugly machining marks to a minimum. This requires a certain amount of hand fitting of parts, and a lot of quality control check points. That is why low cost or imported 1911's tend to be of dubious reliability and the fit and finish is nothing like a Colt. The opposite end of that is that for a quality American made brand (Colt, Kimber, SA, or more) you have to pay an American to do all that. And we don't work cheap. Machining steel isn't as cheap as aluminum or casting plastic in molds. Cutters and bits have to be replaced more often and they are more expensive. So from beginning to end a 1911 is more expensive to produce and therefor more expensive to buy. However I don't see how the prices of anything have needed to skyrocket to the extent that they have. And yes, I to have seen these guns that must be made of 14 carat gold under the bluing. So factor in all of the above, sprinkle on some Obama, and PRESTO! $1,000 1911's, $700 Glocks, Beretta's...

And that isn't even adding into account the amount of people driving up the market on Pre-lock, forged parts, walnut, pre-safety, older markings, or whatever else we can clammer up to call it a "collectible"... I have a GP-100 that has the pinned extractor and I have the newer model without pins. I'm waiting to hear the pinned models now go for a premium...
Maximumbob54 is offline  
Old December 1st, 2010, 08:25 AM   #10
USA
 
USA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 28
USA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
It has always been my understanding that 1911's have more machined parts, require more quality parts (minimum amount of stamped parts, MIM parts, lower quality steel parts, etc.), and to top it off if you want one to look good then you have to keep ugly machining marks to a minimum. This requires a certain amount of hand fitting of parts, and a lot of quality control check points. That is why low cost or imported 1911's tend to be of dubious reliability and the fit and finish is nothing like a Colt. The opposite end of that is that for a quality American made brand (Colt, Kimber, SA, or more) you have to pay an American to do all that. And we don't work cheap. Machining steel isn't as cheap as aluminum or casting plastic in molds. Cutters and bits have to be replaced more often and they are more expensive. So from beginning to end a 1911 is more expensive to produce and therefor more expensive to buy. However I don't see how the prices of anything have needed to skyrocket to the extent that they have. And yes, I to have seen these guns that must be made of 14 carat gold under the bluing. So factor in all of the above, sprinkle on some Obama, and PRESTO! $1,000 1911's, $700 Glocks, Beretta's...

And that isn't even adding into account the amount of people driving up the market on Pre-lock, forged parts, walnut, pre-safety, older markings, or whatever else we can clammer up to call it a "collectible"... I have a GP-100 that has the pinned extractor and I have the newer model without pins. I'm waiting to hear the pinned models now go for a premium...
You hit the nail on the head! BRAVO!
USA is offline  
Old December 1st, 2010, 10:20 AM   #11
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 272
gotthegoods is on a distinguished road
I am NOT a 1911 expert, but I do own a Metro Arms (Philippine-import) AC Commander.

MaxBob has it right regarding parts and finishing. The sub-$500 (new) 1911s are typically imported, utilize more / lower quality quality MIM parts and have less exacting finishing on the internals (more machine chatter)

I think the biggest difference in cost has to be the wages paid to the machinists. U.S. workers are paid more, but typically you will get more for your money.

I hadn't even considered the wear and tear on the tools and dies when milling steel...
gotthegoods is offline  
Old December 1st, 2010, 02:18 PM   #12
 
erogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Land of Lincoln
Posts: 27
erogers is on a distinguished road
I have two Colt Custom Shop models (WWI and Series 70 repro) and they are very well made pistols. They weren't cheap, but they cost a lot less money than many other models out there. I think the law of supply and demand applies here. As long as people are willing to pay some of the astronomical prices on some of the 1911s out there, the firearm companies will keep "suggesting" MSRPs in the thousands of dollars. Of course, if you're a company like Wilson Combat, devoting much more time per pistol during the manufacturing of it, and not producing as many pistols as the mass-production companies, you have to make your money back somehow. The higher price, in this case, buys you a top-notch piece.
erogers is offline  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Pistols & Revolvers



Search tags for this page

1911 prices

,
1911 ruger prices
,
best ruger 1911 price
,
ruger 1911 .45 price
,

ruger 1911 price

,
ruger 1911 price new
,

ruger 1911 prices

,
ruger 1911 prices used
,
ruger1911prices
,
used 1911 prices
,
why are 1911 pistols expensive
,
why are 1911 pistols so expensive
Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ruger 1911/Colt 1911 Highhawk1948 Pistols & Revolvers 23 July 23rd, 2012 06:35 AM
SP and LCR prices? Stirfry Ruger Double Action 4 July 5th, 2010 06:12 PM
22 LR prices scooter.maclusky Ammo Dump 9 May 6th, 2010 08:59 AM
PC prices lead Ruger Semi-Auto 6 October 4th, 2009 06:32 PM
LCP Prices Striker CCW 3 January 8th, 2009 07:59 PM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List  
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2014 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.