f> Springfield EMP 3" 1911 - Ruger Forum

Ruger Forum

Springfield EMP 3" 1911

This is a discussion on Springfield EMP 3" 1911 within the Pistols & Revolvers forums, part of the Pistol & Revolver Forum category; Hi folks! Been a while since I've been on the forum. I was killing time a few days ago at my local gun shop and ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Pistols & Revolvers

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old March 1st, 2017, 04:48 PM   #1
 
rugerpatriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 102
rugerpatriot is on a distinguished road
Springfield EMP 3" 1911

Hi folks! Been a while since I've been on the forum. I was killing time a few days ago at my local gun shop and had expressed my desire for a 9mm 1911. I was looking at the Ruger, but couldn't get excited about it. I want an ambi safety (I'm lefty), and the rubber grips didn't turn me on. The guy told me about a sweet deal he had on a used Springfield EMP 3" 1911 in 9mm. He handed me the gun and I liked it. I liked it a lot. What happened next is pretty sketchy. Somehow I found myself in a dream like state, whipping out a debit card and putting money down on their 90 day same as cash plan. After I got home and started researching my future acquisition I read where some of them have some reliability issues. Are any of y'all familiar with them? If so, is there a way I can tell by the serial # or something if that gun was in one of those runs?

Thanks!



rugerpatriot is offline  
Advertisements
Old March 1st, 2017, 08:24 PM   #2
 
gqucool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 8,077
gqucool is just really nicegqucool is just really nicegqucool is just really nicegqucool is just really nicegqucool is just really nice
I have a 1911 very close to the EMP model but mine was the one before the Springfield EMP. Mine is a Springfield Ultra Compact 1911 in 9mm. Mine has a 3.5 inch barrel vs the 3 inch. Basically a Officer's sized 1911. Mine has been totally reliable great shooting gun. I would suggest to call Springfield with the serial # to see if the EMP you are talking about has problems. I am sure if this EMP is one that might have problems Springfield would take care of it. Springfield makes quality 1911's I am sure they can take care of yours if it has a problem. After doing a rereading of your post I now realize you have this gun on layaway. Call Springfield do some research on it if it's in the run of guns with possible problems either see if you can back out of it or bite the bullet get it. Worst that could happen is send it into Springfield to get it repaired.
gqucool is offline  
Old March 2nd, 2017, 08:22 AM   #3
 
Kudzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,365
Kudzu is on a distinguished road
You might want to check on the xdtalk.com forum and just do a search on the Springfield EMP. You should get a lot of hits.

My next gun will probably be the Springfield EMP 4" Contour Carry.
Kudzu is offline  
 
Old March 2nd, 2017, 02:25 PM   #4
 
Clyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 401
Clyde is on a distinguished road
I had an EMP for several years (an early 4 rivet serial number). I fired over 2500 rounds thru it with NO problems. All ammo was 124gr. The gun was kept lubed. Most folks that had problems were using 115gr cheap ammo. Feed it good quality 124gr. and enjoy it. I regret selling mine.
Clyde is offline  
Old March 2nd, 2017, 02:47 PM   #5
 
Bepe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: TWILIGHT ZONE
Posts: 302
Bepe is on a distinguished road
Don't know what reliability problems the internet gurus are referring to. Were they directing the complaints specifically against the EMP or was it a standard 1911 chambered in 9mm? Standard size 1911's did have some feeding issues years ago. 9mm specific mags have pretty much solved this. The EMP was completely designed for the 9mm cartridge. All dimensions of the gun were shrunk a MM or two for the shorter 9mm round. Proprietary mags made by MecGar. Had mine for close to 3 years and it hasn't missed a beat. Not once. They were originally introduced in 2007. I don't know if the early ones had issues. Might give SA a call. They are good people. Mines never leaving.

If you don't mind me asking...what was the sale price?
Bepe




Last edited by Bepe; March 12th, 2017 at 12:49 AM.
Bepe is offline  
Old March 2nd, 2017, 04:42 PM   #6
 
rugerpatriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 102
rugerpatriot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqucool View Post
I have a 1911 very close to the EMP model but mine was the one before the Springfield EMP. Mine is a Springfield Ultra Compact 1911 in 9mm. Mine has a 3.5 inch barrel vs the 3 inch. Basically a Officer's sized 1911. Mine has been totally reliable great shooting gun. I would suggest to call Springfield with the serial # to see if the EMP you are talking about has problems. I am sure if this EMP is one that might have problems Springfield would take care of it. Springfield makes quality 1911's I am sure they can take care of yours if it has a problem. After doing a rereading of your post I now realize you have this gun on layaway. Call Springfield do some research on it if it's in the run of guns with possible problems either see if you can back out of it or bite the bullet get it. Worst that could happen is send it into Springfield to get it repaired.

Thanks!
rugerpatriot is offline  
Old March 2nd, 2017, 04:43 PM   #7
 
rugerpatriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 102
rugerpatriot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudzu View Post
You might want to check on the xdtalk.com forum and just do a search on the Springfield EMP. You should get a lot of hits.

My next gun will probably be the Springfield EMP 4" Contour Carry.

I'll check them out, didn't know that forum existed. Thanks!
rugerpatriot is offline  
Old March 2nd, 2017, 04:43 PM   #8
 
rugerpatriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 102
rugerpatriot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
I had an EMP for several years (an early 4 rivet serial number). I fired over 2500 rounds thru it with NO problems. All ammo was 124gr. The gun was kept lubed. Most folks that had problems were using 115gr cheap ammo. Feed it good quality 124gr. and enjoy it. I regret selling mine.

I'll keep that in mind!

Thanks!
rugerpatriot is offline  
Old March 2nd, 2017, 04:47 PM   #9
 
rugerpatriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 102
rugerpatriot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bepe View Post
Don't know what reliability problems the internet gurus are referring to. Were they directing the complaints specifically against the EMP or was it a standard 1911 chambered in 9mm? Standard size 1911's did have some feeding issues years ago. 9mm specific mags have pretty much solved this. The EMP was completely designed for the 9mm cartridge. All dimensions of the gun were shrunk a MM or two for the shorter 9mm round. Proprietary mags made by MecGar. Had mine for close to 3 years and it hasn't missed a beat. Not once. They were originally introduced in 2008. I don't know if the early ones had issues. Might give SA a call. They are good people. Mines never leaving.



If you don't mind me asking...what was the sale price?

Bepe






Thanks for the reply! I got the gun, a holster, double mag carrier, 3 mags, cleaning rod with brush, and the original box for a few dollars north of $900 tax and all. It saved me about $150 off the price of a new one.
rugerpatriot is offline  
Old March 2nd, 2017, 09:05 PM   #10
 
gqucool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 8,077
gqucool is just really nicegqucool is just really nicegqucool is just really nicegqucool is just really nicegqucool is just really nice
My Springfield Ultra Compact 1911 9mm also likes the 124 grain ammo the best. One brand it really didn't function too good with is the Sellior & Bellot stuff. This has been a few years ago the newer stuff might be ok.
gqucool is offline  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Pistol & Revolver Forum > Pistols & Revolvers


Search tags for this page

springfield emp forum

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New For 2017 - Springfield 1911 Emp Champ Lightweight Carry 9mm 4" 10rd - $969 Gun.Deals Gun.Deals 0 January 17th, 2017 08:16 AM
Springfield 1911 EMP Compact 9mm Pistol from $856 wikiarms WikiArms.com 0 January 17th, 2017 05:13 AM
Springfield Armory 1911 EMP 40 S&W 3" 8 Rnd 2-Tone from $911.02 wikiarms WikiArms.com 0 July 17th, 2016 06:58 AM
Springfield 1911-A1 EMP 9mm/40S&W 3" from $977 wikiarms WikiArms.com 0 April 16th, 2015 09:39 AM
Springfield 1911-A1 EMP 9mm/40S&W from $989 wikiarms WikiArms.com 0 February 21st, 2015 05:14 AM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.