f> Powder Fouling Removal Solution ... - Ruger Forum

Ruger Forum

Powder Fouling Removal Solution ...

This is a discussion on Powder Fouling Removal Solution ... within the Maintenance forums, part of the Firearm Forum category; Ok i just spent the better part of 4 hours over two days cleaning my handguns. The hardest part was removing the carbon/powder fouling on ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Firearm Forum > Maintenance

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old December 29th, 2016, 10:27 AM   #1
 
rmichael63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Brunswick, Ohio
Posts: 3,525
rmichael63 is on a distinguished road
Powder Fouling Removal Solution ...

Ok i just spent the better part of 4 hours over two days cleaning my handguns. The hardest part was removing the carbon/powder fouling on the feed ramp. Convince me that your cleaning solution is whats best.

I have been using an organic solution from Bore Tech but with that i need to let it soak for a handful of minutes. Hoppes #9 solvent didn't seem to work well. The one solution that did work was Balistol ... it says right on the can that it removes carbon/powder fouling.

Opinions ????



rmichael63 is offline  
Advertisements
Old December 29th, 2016, 01:49 PM   #2
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
 
Iowegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CB, IA
Posts: 11,690
Iowegan is a name known to allIowegan is a name known to allIowegan is a name known to allIowegan is a name known to allIowegan is a name known to allIowegan is a name known to all

Awards Showcase

Hoppies Elite .... not Hoppie's #9 for carbon deposits. Hoppie's #9 works great for removing soot and powder particles but not so great for carbon deposits. P.S. Hoppie's Elite doesn't stink either.

Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-Elite-...oppe%27s+elite
Iowegan is online now  
Old December 29th, 2016, 02:18 PM   #3
hlg
 
hlg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Over by dere
Posts: 799
hlg will become famous soon enough
For really bad fouling, this is what I use. A bit dusty, but effective.

Or .....you could just do what Iowegan suggested.


hlg is offline  
 
Old December 29th, 2016, 03:57 PM   #4
 
rmichael63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Brunswick, Ohio
Posts: 3,525
rmichael63 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowegan View Post
Hoppies Elite .... not Hoppie's #9 for carbon deposits. Hoppie's #9 works great for removing soot and powder particles but not so great for carbon deposits. P.S. Hoppie's Elite doesn't stink either.

Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-Elite-...oppe%27s+elite
Thanks for the info ...
rmichael63 is offline  
Old January 5th, 2017, 09:31 PM   #5
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mountain West
Posts: 1,755
BassMan is on a distinguished road
I use 0W-30 synthetic motor oil with a nylon brush - both for inside bores and feed ramps, and other places. After looking at disassembled auto engines I theorized that an application of that cheap substance might be justified for removal of "C" or carbon.

I use the synthetic stuff with Gun Slick foam (foam first, not at same time)

It is real cheap and my snow blower likes it also,now that temps are under 10 degrees F.

The synthetic 0W-30 is slimy and unkind to stock finishes so it is always removed - ordinary rubbing alcohol works great for that. In addition to removing carbon the synthetic stuff should attract water. The flannel patches come out very black and the last patch leaves the bore shiny and dry.

I have used the same 2 OZ container of M-Pro 7 gun oil since 2012

I like minute amounts of wheel bearing grease on bolt lug surfaces and bolt handle camming surfaces - useful for other stuff also.
BassMan is offline  
Old January 6th, 2017, 01:30 AM   #6
 
AzShooter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 65
AzShooter1 is on a distinguished road
Ballistol works real well but to me it smells bad. I use M-Pro 7. It will cut through powder residue better than anything I've tried. Put it on and let it sit a few minutes and your gun will come clean.
AzShooter1 is offline  
Old January 6th, 2017, 02:16 AM   #7
 
rmichael63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Brunswick, Ohio
Posts: 3,525
rmichael63 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMan View Post
I use 0W-30 synthetic motor oil with a nylon brush - both for inside bores and feed ramps, and other places. After looking at disassembled auto engines I theorized that an application of that cheap substance might be justified for removal of "C" or carbon.

I use the synthetic stuff with Gun Slick foam (foam first, not at same time)

It is real cheap and my snow blower likes it also,now that temps are under 10 degrees F.

The synthetic 0W-30 is slimy and unkind to stock finishes so it is always removed - ordinary rubbing alcohol works great for that. In addition to removing carbon the synthetic stuff should attract water. The flannel patches come out very black and the last patch leaves the bore shiny and dry.

I have used the same 2 OZ container of M-Pro 7 gun oil since 2012

I like minute amounts of wheel bearing grease on bolt lug surfaces and bolt handle camming surfaces - useful for other stuff also.
Thanks man for the info. I might just give that a try.
rmichael63 is offline  
Old January 6th, 2017, 02:18 AM   #8
 
rmichael63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Brunswick, Ohio
Posts: 3,525
rmichael63 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter1 View Post
Ballistol works real well but to me it smells bad. I use M-Pro 7. It will cut through powder residue better than anything I've tried. Put it on and let it sit a few minutes and your gun will come clean.
Agreed Ballistol does work. I'm not familiar with M-Pro 7.

Thanks for the heads up ...
rmichael63 is offline  
Old January 6th, 2017, 06:57 AM   #9
Moderator
 
terry_p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NH, USA.
Posts: 18,223
terry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud of
Ballistol stinks early on but the smell dissipates quickly plus it is a non-toxic mineral oil. If it works I'd stick with it.
terry_p is online now  
Old January 6th, 2017, 08:21 AM   #10
 
rmichael63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Brunswick, Ohio
Posts: 3,525
rmichael63 is on a distinguished road
With all of these suggestions I guess i need to do a controlled experiment and see what method does the job the best and the quickest ...

The methods ...
A] Ballistol
B] Hoppes Elite
C] OW-30 synthetic motor oil
D] Eliminator (by boretech the stuff i normally would use)

Now I need to go dirty up some of the clean guns ...

Stay tuned ...
rmichael63 is offline  
Old January 6th, 2017, 10:06 AM   #11
 
Tater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,062
Tater will become famous soon enoughTater will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmichael63 View Post
With all of these suggestions I guess i need to do a controlled experiment and see what method does the job the best and the quickest ...

The methods ...
A] Ballistol
B] Hoppes Elite
C] OW-30 synthetic motor oil
D] Eliminator (by boretech the stuff i normally would use)

Now I need to go dirty up some of the clean guns ...

Stay tuned ...
Please, for heaven's sake, take motor oil off of your list.
Tater is offline  
Old January 11th, 2017, 01:06 PM   #12
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 195
gwpercle is on a distinguished road
I use a home brewed cleaner called ED's Red Bore Solvent. It's a fairly strong cleaner consisting of equal parts:

Dexron Automatic Transmission Fluid type III or newer
K-1 kerosene
Deoderized Mineral Spirits
Acetone

I recently bought a quart of each item at wally-mart , auto and paint sections had everything , mixed up a gallon for under $20.00 .
Some folks leave out the acetone but that's the aggressive crud cutting agent. It will clean without acetone just not as quickly.
This is good stuff , I got tired of paying a lot for a little, tried Ed's Red and have never looked back.

A decent CLP is equal parts ATF and K-1 Kerosene.

Gary
gwpercle is offline  
Old January 11th, 2017, 01:49 PM   #13
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 71
eagle7840 is on a distinguished road
I use Hoppes Benchrest for most of my needs. Let it sit in the bore and chamber. The patch will turn a blue/green then repeat till the patches come out out clean. Great for copper and lead fouling.
eagle7840 is offline  
Old January 17th, 2017, 01:10 PM   #14
 
Yotecallr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 27
Yotecallr is on a distinguished road
You can send your money trying this and that, but it all comes down to what the basic ingredient is in almost all and that is simply mineral spirits. Cleans and is safe. Evaporates and leaves almost no residue. Try it.
Yotecallr is offline  
Old January 17th, 2017, 02:04 PM   #15
 
marlin39a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Paulden, Arizona
Posts: 282
marlin39a is on a distinguished road
Shooters Choice for me.
marlin39a is online now  
Closed Thread

  Ruger Forum > Firearm Forum > Maintenance

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Copper Fouling Removal... JK55 Maintenance 14 January 17th, 2015 01:13 PM
Fouling shots-how many? Rooster1959 Rifles 5 September 23rd, 2013 09:11 AM
Copper Fouling d80hunter Maintenance 17 March 28th, 2013 05:15 PM
Lead fouling, how can I tell? Darkness Reloading 4 May 18th, 2008 06:41 AM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.