f> Finally, the Army Has Chosen a Pistol. - Ruger Forum

Ruger Forum

Finally, the Army Has Chosen a Pistol.

This is a discussion on Finally, the Army Has Chosen a Pistol. within the Gun Stories forums, part of the Firearm Forum category; God forbid our Armed Forces would choose an American made pistol from a wholly American based company. It took them 10 years to make a ...


Go Back   Ruger Forum > Firearm Forum > Gun Stories

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old January 20th, 2017, 10:15 AM   #1
 
Wheelygunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 49
Wheelygunner is on a distinguished road
Finally, the Army Has Chosen a Pistol.

God forbid our Armed Forces would choose an American made pistol from a wholly American based company. It took them 10 years to make a decision on this? For a pistol? I hope this kind of wasteful nonsense stops the Trump Administration.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/40832dc...t%2C-army.html




Last edited by Wheelygunner; January 20th, 2017 at 10:28 AM.
Wheelygunner is offline  
Advertisements
Old January 20th, 2017, 10:38 AM   #2
Moderator
 
terry_p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NH, USA.
Posts: 18,364
terry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud of
Sig Arms is based in the next town over from me in Exeter, NH. Good deal, more jobs.
terry_p is offline  
Old January 20th, 2017, 10:55 AM   #3
 
Wheelygunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 49
Wheelygunner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_p View Post
Sig Arms is based in the next town over from me in Exeter, NH. Good deal, more jobs.
Yes, not a bad deal but SigArms is a German company and a large percentage of the profits are going there regardless whether some of their product is made here or not. Why not buy from an American company AND provide American jobs at the same time?

Does our country, which is by far the greatest firearms country in the world really feel that none of our home grown products and designs are good enough for our Armed Forces?
Wheelygunner is offline  
 
Old January 20th, 2017, 11:07 AM   #4
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 711
Walkingwolf is a jewel in the roughWalkingwolf is a jewel in the roughWalkingwolf is a jewel in the rough
It should be required to be an American company, and all labor in the US. Hopefully Trump pushes for such a law. Sig will have to then split the company, and profits stay in the US.
Walkingwolf is offline  
Old January 20th, 2017, 11:21 AM   #5
 
Aqualung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 502
Aqualung will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelygunner View Post
Yes, not a bad deal but SigArms is a German company and a large percentage of the profits are going there regardless whether some of their product is made here or not. Why not buy from an American company AND provide American jobs at the same time?

Does our country, which is by far the greatest firearms country in the world really feel that none of our home grown products and designs are good enough for our Armed Forces?
What US manufacturer was able to field a pistol with the Army's requirements? I think the only ones that could were Ruger and S&W. Who else is there?

Take a RAP, an equivalent S&W (I'm not up on the models), and any other US semi-auto that may meet the requirements (don't think there were any), and put them up against a Sig and compare them, quality-wise...

I don't think they'll compare. I love my Rugers and am very loyal to the brand, but they don't compare to a Sig...

If the decision was made to suggest "second-best" due to political reasons, wouldn't there be some sort of backlash, when the intent is to provide the best tools for our soldiers?

It's what built our Nation and what makes it great...Captalism. Provide a superior product and meet the demand, or get skipped over by a supplier who does...foreign or domestic.

That being said, I do see your point and do agree with you that it's unfortunate.

Aqualung
Aqualung is offline  
Old January 20th, 2017, 11:24 AM   #6
HBK
 
HBK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern CA.
Posts: 939
HBK will become famous soon enoughHBK will become famous soon enough
I hope it will be in 45acp or 40S&W caliber instead of the wimpy 9mm. The military is limited to full metal jacket hardball ammo and the 9mm is not a good man stopper with that type of ammo.
HBK is offline  
Old January 20th, 2017, 11:24 AM   #7
 
Aqualung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 502
Aqualung will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
It should be required to be an American company, and all labor in the US. Hopefully Trump pushes for such a law. Sig will have to then split the company, and profits stay in the US.
But don't we normally rail against Government meddling into business (i.e. GM)?

Aqualung
Aqualung is offline  
Old January 20th, 2017, 11:36 AM   #8
 
kjphilippona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wrong Side of Heaven
Posts: 2,771
kjphilippona is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
What US manufacturer was able to field a pistol with the Army's requirements? I think the only ones that could were Ruger and S&W. Who else is there?

Take a RAP, an equivalent S&W (I'm not up on the models), and any other US semi-auto that may meet the requirements (don't think there were any), and put them up against a Sig and compare them, quality-wise...

I don't think they'll compare. I love my Rugers and am very loyal to the brand, but they don't compare to a Sig...

If the decision was made to suggest "second-best" due to political reasons, wouldn't there be some sort of backlash, when the intent is to provide the best tools for our soldiers?


It's what built our Nation and what makes it great...Captalism. Provide a superior product and meet the demand, or get skipped over by a supplier who does...foreign or domestic.

That being said, I do see your point and do agree with you that it's unfortunate.

Aqualung
I don't own one yet, my next purchase will be an FN, they make one fine semi-auto! And made in Fredericksburg Va. USA

Last edited by kjphilippona; January 20th, 2017 at 11:40 AM.
kjphilippona is offline  
Old January 20th, 2017, 11:37 AM   #9
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Arizona
Posts: 224
ronzonie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
But don't we normally rail against Government meddling into business (i.e. GM)?

Aqualung
the government CAN AND SHOULD establish criteria to maintain American preference in all purchasing situations. Protectionism be damned, would you think our aircraft and navy could e built overseas? Same principals.

American gun manufacturers can match any foreign maker, especially when the government is funding the project.
ronzonie is offline  
Old January 20th, 2017, 11:39 AM   #10
 
Cherno Alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: America
Posts: 155
Cherno Alpha1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK View Post
I hope it will be in 45acp or 40S&W caliber instead of the wimpy 9mm. The military is limited to full metal jacket hardball ammo and the 9mm is not a good man stopper with that type of ammo.
The 10MM Auto should be standard with the .40 short and weak for those who can't take the recoil.
Cherno Alpha1 is offline  
Old January 20th, 2017, 11:58 AM   #11
Moderator
 
terry_p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NH, USA.
Posts: 18,364
terry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud ofterry_p has much to be proud of
Sig Sauer is manufactured in NH which last time I was there was still part of the USA. Jeeze.

SIG SAUER to Produce All Guns in US by 2015 - The Truth About Guns
terry_p is offline  
Old January 20th, 2017, 12:01 PM   #12
 
Sr40ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,779
Sr40ken has a spectacular aura aboutSr40ken has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzonie View Post
the government CAN AND SHOULD establish criteria to maintain American preference in all purchasing situations. Protectionism be damned, would you think our aircraft and navy could e built overseas? Same principals.

American gun manufacturers can match any foreign maker, especially when the government is funding the project.
Then why didn't they? What kept them from getting the contracts? No suppositions. The 320 has features the other don't. Like Terry said, it still brings American jobs. And not know the finances of Sig who knows how the profits flow. And being a Navair vet considering the crap Navair is taking they probably should get foreign aircraft.
Personally I would love to have an American pistol that meets my requirement but there are none, may be that way for the Army. The Seal commander has already purchased Glock 19 for them as has the Marine specops commander.

Last edited by Sr40ken; January 20th, 2017 at 12:04 PM.
Sr40ken is offline  
Old January 20th, 2017, 12:11 PM   #13
 
Tape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Panama city
Posts: 151
Tape is on a distinguished road
Don't you guys know how it works, soldiers do not dictate what the best firearm is, and "whoever" doesn't make a better firearm than "billybob", its the arms manufacturer that swallows. There's no way you can convince me that Sig makes better firearms than Beretta or Springfield etc. Yes there is a requirement but that's just protocol.
Tape is offline  
Old January 20th, 2017, 12:32 PM   #14
 
Sr40ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,779
Sr40ken has a spectacular aura aboutSr40ken has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape View Post
Don't you guys know how it works, soldiers do not dictate what the best firearm is, and "whoever" doesn't make a better firearm than "billybob", its the arms manufacturer that swallows. There's no way you can convince me that Sig makes better firearms than Beretta or Springfield etc. Yes there is a requirement but that's just protocol.
The arms that fit what they are looking for Beretta and Springfield aren't American either. The only American gun I can think of that tough and reliable would be a 1911. But we've already been there haven't we.
Did 10.5 years Navair, quite accustomed to federal procurement machines, the horse is out of the barn there.
Sr40ken is offline  
Old January 20th, 2017, 03:52 PM   #15
 
Mogg2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SE Alaska
Posts: 49
Mogg2112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK View Post
I hope it will be in 45acp or 40S&W caliber instead of the wimpy 9mm. The military is limited to full metal jacket hardball ammo and the 9mm is not a good man stopper with that type of ammo.
Just curious if your statement based on first hand experience? Would you volunteer to be shot with 9mm hardball to prove that it's wimpy and not a man stopper? I don't think I would.
Mogg2112 is offline  
Reply

  Ruger Forum > Firearm Forum > Gun Stories

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Ruger Forum Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Army finally going to hollow points JohnR Ammo Dump 38 July 27th, 2015 04:43 PM
Finally....an old army lethemgo Black Powder 8 February 24th, 2015 05:56 PM
Finally got one !!! OLD ARMY THAT IS IS!!! Wdodd Black Powder 3 June 26th, 2014 06:49 AM
For Sale: new army 1858 44cal Black powder pistol dedeye Firearms 0 August 18th, 2012 08:04 AM

Top Gun Sites Top Sites List
Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Ruger Forum. All rights reserved.
Ruger Forum is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.